Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR Minimum Connection Time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
@24left, @YYT82 I agree with comfort over time; it's nice relax and have something to eat/drink before a TPAC instead of running straight from a tracon. YYZ is definitely better for overnighting (cheaper) than YVR but I'm leaning toward just going for it all in one day as I need to maximize my time in YYT although it's going to be a little stressful. I'll have to pray to the AC OTP Gods that day. YYT82, I chose the YYZ connection over YUL as it's a 7M8/77W vs. a CR9/333 in J/O.

It's nice to know that AC will rebook from all AC metal to a non AC connecting flight in the event of a misconnect. As long as I wouldn't be booked onto AC 17 the next day!

Thanks again, I hope these posts also help those with similar East-YVR-TPAC connection scenarios in the future.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82

18 minutes.
I was going to say that actually seems high for DTI, but then I realized that was the connection time, not the time it took you to run.

Originally Posted by marke190
Woah I'm surprised you weren't offloaded and autorebooked!

Dosen't the gate officially close at T-20?
T-15 is when they CAN offload you, but on full flights, boarding is usually still in progress at this point, so they don't know who's a no-show yet.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I have an intl-to-dom connection at YVR that, due to a flight cancellation, went from 3:10 to 1:20. I will have checked bags and two young kids in tow. Is there any hope in hell of making the connection?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:24 am

Barring a delay i think you would be fine
heraclitus likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: None anymore
As I'm reading it seems a 1.5 hour connection intl --> intl in YVR is enough, correct? LAX-YVR-ICN.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warrenw
As I'm reading it seems a 1.5 hour connection intl --> intl in YVR is enough, correct? LAX-YVR-ICN.
If everything is on time, definitely.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Even though slightly different (international to domestic) FRA-YVR-YYC, I just did a 1:20 connect last week in YVR, cleared customs, was in the domestic lounge about 15 minutes later where I had a shower before my YYC flight. It is a longer walk from international to domestic than USA to international so you should be fine.No need to get luggage despite what some check in agents will tell you at your origin.

Connecting USA to INTL at YVR
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Even though slightly different (international to domestic) FRA-YVR-YYC, I just did a 1:20 connect last week in YVR, cleared customs, was in the domestic lounge about 15 minutes later where I had a shower before my YYC flight. It is a longer walk from international to domestic than USA to international so you should be fine.No need to get luggage despite what some check in agents will tell you at your origin.

Connecting USA to INTL at YVR
Thanks for the info! Since 1.5 hrs is MCT at YVR it always makes me a bit wary, but hopefully it's fine!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG
Originally Posted by warrenw
Thanks for the info! Since 1.5 hrs is MCT at YVR it always makes me a bit wary, but hopefully it's fine!
The 1.5 MCT @ YVR is really overstated. The reason it is big is in case you are doing INT to USA and there is a lineup at the US customs. Also, checked backs have to be scanned by US customs as well, so it is buffer in case of issues.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:45 am

Flying YYJ-YVR-YYZ soon and getting worried about the 44min cx time in YVR, especially with ATC flow delays that seem common in the early morning.

I'm on 8050 (06:45 departure) YYJ-YVR with a 44 min connection onto AC104 YVR-YYZ. I normally wouldn't be stressed but 8050 seems to have a consistent delay of at least 15 mins and 104 seems to depart early most mornings leaving a very slim margin to make the flight. I just don't want to miss a Middle East connecting flight in YYZ.

Has anyone done this flight combo or other tight connections onto one of the early YVR-YYZs? How realistic is it? Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by marke190; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by marke190
Flying YYJ-YVR-YYZ soon and getting worried about the 44min cx time in YVR, especially with ATC flow delays that seem common in the early morning.

I'm on 8050 (06:45 departure) YYJ-YVR with a 44 min connection onto AC104 YVR-YYZ. I normally wouldn't be stressed but 8050 seems to have a consistent delay of at least 15 mins and 104 seems to depart early most mornings leaving a very slim margin to make the flight. I just don't want to miss a Middle East connecting flight in YYZ.

Has anyone done this flight combo or other tight connections onto one of the early YVR-YYZs? How realistic is it? Thanks for the insight.
I make early morning connections out of YCD from time to time and the problem is the same - YCD flights run 15 minutes late all morning, becoming 30 minutes by noon and an hour if not two by evening. Still, the walk between gates isn't more than 5-7 minutes so I'd think you're OK.

AC really needs to raise the block time of these flights because the terrible OTP is messing with tight-but-legal connections.
marke190 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG
Hey Marke190,

You are going domestic to domestic, which means you are using A-C gates.

Air Canada's domestic planes all arrive/depart out of the C gates.

Assuming you are on the same airline, Air Canada is no problem as the gates are no more than 5 min apart (as long as you don't have checked luggage). Also, same carrier connections they prioritize your bags and you getting off if they see it.

The YYJ flight is probably a smaller plane too, so should be quick to get off.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I make early morning connections out of YCD from time to time and the problem is the same - YCD flights run 15 minutes late all morning, becoming 30 minutes by noon and an hour if not two by evening. Still, the walk between gates isn't more than 5-7 minutes so I'd think you're OK.

AC really needs to raise the block time of these flights because the terrible OTP is messing with tight-but-legal connections.
I agree, the early morning block times should be ~45 mins to account for the usual ATC, etc. delays that seem to plague the early morning hops.

If a tight connection is the only option I've started connecting in YYC if it works with the routing, those flights seem to have better OTP.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Looking at connecting international to domestic at YVR in July. Website says MCT is 1h20m and my itinerary is at 1h30m with an average departure delay of 17 minutes per EF.

Questions:
1) Is the MCT still accurate in the time of COVID? How difficult is it to clear Canadian customs as a US citizen?
2) If I misconnect on a eUpgraded fare, will I still be in J if they rebook me on the next available flight, or is there a high risk of being downgraded?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by jcarberry
Looking at connecting international to domestic at YVR in July. Website says MCT is 1h20m and my itinerary is at 1h30m with an average departure delay of 17 minutes per EF.

Questions:
1) Is the MCT still accurate in the time of COVID? How difficult is it to clear Canadian customs as a US citizen?
1. Probably varies with what international flights are arriving around the same time / a bit earlier. I came through YVR international yesterday around 7:30pm and there was barely anyone in the customs pen, even for the non-nexus line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.