YVR Minimum Connection Time

Old May 18, 17, 2:11 am
Original Poster

YVR Minimum Connection Time

I'm looking at flying Sydney to San Francisco via Vancouver on AC.

Flight from Sydney lands at 7:30, flight to SFO departs at 8:40.

Air Canada lists a minimum connection time of 1 hr 10 min for International to U.S. at YVR.

Does this connection time work? I'm thinking it's extremely tight, but the AC booking and minimum connection times on AC website say otherwise.

Thanks
Old May 18, 17, 2:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Do you have Global Entry? The connection time is quite doable, the real determining factor is whether there is a long wait at US immigration. If not, you are fine (assuming no delays).
Old May 18, 17, 3:14 am
Original Poster

No I don't have Global Entry - I'm
Australian, not on the eligibile list.
Old May 18, 17, 3:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
If the MCT is 70m and the listed connections have 70 or more, then YES it works. There is no debate about this.
Old May 18, 17, 9:33 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
It will work.

If you land early or on time, then you would deplane and walk towards the Transfers/Immigration/Baggage area. Before you get to Canada Immigration, you will see signs for Foreign connections and US connections. Follow signs to US Immigration. You do not need to clear Canada Customs. 70 minutes will be enough.
Old May 18, 17, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I was thinking you would need to clear Customs, which in that case would be a problem.

I think the key here is if you land on time.
Old May 18, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Wasn't part of revamping YVR with high speed walkways and faster baggage delivery supposed to lead to shorter minimum connection times? I'm not sure where they're at in this process.
Old May 18, 17, 12:55 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by m8rk88 View Post
Thanks - I was thinking you would need to clear Customs, which in that case would be a problem.

I think the key here is if you land on time.
You do not need to clear Canada Customs to get to the US. The US-Canada has integrated computer systems now and the information you will provide to US Customs in Vancouver will be shared with Canada.

-Get off plane
-Follow signs to USA Connection (NOT International Connection)
-You have to go through a security gate again
-the you hit USA Customs Border Patrol
-you then walk out to the USA departures lounge. There is a Vancouver Canucks bar at the very end and a few stores along the way.
-Get on flight to USA
-Land and walk off

You could fill out the Canada Customs stuff though just in case. I once landed from HK to Vancouver and was supposed to carry on to NYC. Well we didn't carry on to NYC and there were 300 people trying to furiously fill out Canadian landing cards at the gate.
Old May 18, 17, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
Well we didn't carry on to NYC and there were 300 people trying to furiously fill out Canadian landing cards at the gate.
YVR now has electronic kiosks for everyone - no paper forms required. You can also get an app to do the eDeclaration in advance.
Old May 19, 17, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
YVR now has electronic kiosks for everyone - no paper forms required. You can also get an app to do the eDeclaration in advance.
link for app please
Old May 19, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by quantumofforce View Post
link for app please
See here.
Old May 19, 17, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I have at 75 min connection in YVR, is that risky? I worry if my domestic inbound is late by even 20 minutes, I might be in trouble. What's your experience with a late arriving flight and ability to make it to the gate? I will have checked luggage.
Old May 19, 17, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
I have at 75 min connection in YVR, is that risky? I worry if my domestic inbound is late by even 20 minutes, I might be in trouble. What's your experience with a late arriving flight and ability to make it to the gate? I will have checked luggage.
Where are you connecting to? In general, 75 min is a lot of time.
Old May 19, 17, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-HKG is the route. Arrival into YVR around 630 pm, 75 min connection. YVR-SEA is on the Dash-8. SEA-TPE is on EVA (only once a day, if I miss it, it is a day lost). It is Aeroplan ticket as well. If I miss the YVR-SEA cxn, how would AC re-accomodate me in YVR? Would they put me on a flight out of YVR?

Last edited by Sunny Day; May 19, 17 at 11:07 am
Old May 19, 17, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-HKG is the route. Arrival into YVR around 630 pm, 75 min connection. YVR-SEA is on the Dash-8. SEA-TPE is on EVA (only once a day, if I miss it, it is a day lost). It is Aeroplan ticket as well. If I miss the YVR-SEA cxn, how would AC re-accomodate me in YVR? Would they put me on a flight out of YVR?
YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-HKG Man I hope you got a great price.

As it is an AC ticket, you might hope that you indeed do, there at AC flights from YVR-HKG direct.

Counting on AC is entirely dependent on the employee you deal with, if they are good, you will be fine. If they are the grumpy-dragon type found all throughout the AC system.........this will be a long flight. Throw in the AP component and this could be an adventure.

The good news is I think 75 mins is plenty.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: