Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
It still surprised me that AC doesn't allow you to use miles to upgrade from any fare class as UA does. Why can't a loyalist like me upgrade to J from a k fare?
Because there is no such thing as AC miles.

This will change.

Then you'll be able to use miles to pay for everything from seat selection to pizza.
D582 and TOR27 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because there is no such thing as AC miles.

This will change.

Then you'll be able to use miles to pay for everything from seat selection to pizza.
I remain skeptical that they'll open the flood doors to upgrades to anyone with miles to burn and a copay to spend. They aren't doing that with their eUpgrades (e.g. I can't upgrade a Tango k fare to J even with copay and as a SE). I can understand why they want to limit who gets an upgrade they don't want the ToD vs GPU fiasco of UA. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Don't get me started with the fact that eUpgrades can't be applied to LH nor NH flights unlike at UA!

-James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC already has LMUs. All they'd need to do is offer a miles option at a value of something like 1cpm. $599 or 59,900 miles.

I don't know if you'd see the immediate availability of "25k miles, $600 co-pay, and waitlisting". I just expect AC to start accepting miles at around 1cpm everywhere dollars are currently accepted.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know if you'd see the immediate availability of "25k miles, $600 co-pay, and waitlisting". I just expect AC to start accepting miles at around 1cpm everywhere dollars are currently accepted.
But that's exactly what I'm saying! Having a fixed upgrade chart with fare class, region then a breakdown of miles and copay like UA has done of Millenia. Heck UA waives copays if the flight is domestic making for some wonderful redemptions.

I mean, yes, you're right that at this point even a 1 CPM redemption is not bad for AeroPesos albeit the CC companies won't be happy with that. Why would AE want its members to convert 1 MR point for 1 AeroPeso valued at 1 cent when their redeem MR points for purchases gives you only .6 cent.

Also it would be sad if AeroPlan goes entirely to a fixed CPM. Part of the allure and mystique of Aeroplan has been building those demanding itineraries (I.e. last minute travel, first class, multiple stop overs, etc.) that pull the CPM value of AeroPesos close to 10 CPM or even better!

-James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by shadowspar
Most of what AC has posted so far is pretty vague, so we're all doing a bit of a crystal ball gazing exercise at this point. But that said...
Your miles are safe.
All of your Aeroplan Miles will come with you to the new program, as they will be honoured on a one-to-one basis.
Be that as it may, it still remains to be seen what the new reward charts will look like. Inflation of the reward thresholds amounts to nerfing your miles just as much as lopping a zero off your account balance does.
​​​​​​AGREED. My Aero*CC spend dropped off a cliff when this fiasco ramped up in the summer. Otherwise would have made Diamond last year. Since the offer back in the summer till now, we know zero details of value for our points. The sooner they sort this out, the sooner they begin to regain trust of the travelling and spending public.

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I tend to agree with James the award chart will stay but likely with higher fees, higher redemption rates and less award seats. Calin is on record saying the 7% of seats is too high.
Was that pre Aero offer? Could just be considered a negotiation tactic, but yes, availability of ClassicFare seats should be a huge concern.

Originally Posted by yscleo
AC used to say they were cutting aeroplan in June 2020 and launching their own program. Now they don't mention June any more and just say the new program will launch in 2020. That can mean Dec. 31, 2020.
It could also mean Jan 1, 2020. This would be extremely smart to roll out details throughout the 2019, and button up right to begin 2020. Every day without a hard plan, let alone any solid details breeds further discontent among AC, Aero*CC, and even *A camps.

Originally Posted by shadowspar
Your account, at your fingertips.
A brand new program calls for brand new technology for managing your account, using your points and booking your rewards.
As much as I usually harsh on AC IT, my smouldering hatred of the Aeroplan website means I'm 110% on board with putting the dice back in the box for another throw.
*sigh* I suppose me too, but eesh. For the love of everything, AC, please kick some a— on this front. Throw out the old steamer, and give us something real, fast, flexible, and the ability to “watch” or create non specific searches so those of us that care about point value have a chance of finding something. Especially if award seat allocation is doing anything but dramatically increase.

Last edited by eracerblue; Jan 11, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:18 pm

Out of curiosity how did AeroCanada set the price of awards? Was it ACs sole discretion to set the values of the award charts for themselves and * partners for classic and market fares since they were the ticket stock and often operating carrier? Was it Aimia because they were the ones paying for the flights booked? Was it a combination of both? If it was solely AC during the AeroCanada days then an argument could be made that AC is comfortable with the redemption rates as they are now. OTOH Devils chariot might argue that the new program is the perfect ploy to mess with the award charts. Yet I doubt they'll want to do that due to the goodwill that has been eroded.

An important question to also consider is what will AC do to get more people excited and signed up for their new program? In particular I'm looking at myself in the mirror who regularly flies UA k fares and is currently Gold. It's loyalist like me that AC should be after!

At this point I'm torn on what to do with my miles. I don't want to blow them all away on mere speculation particularly when I have no right to be using them thanks to my insistence on warning UA Gold every year! Perhaps I'll find a J award to Santa Banana around Christmas then push myself past the frail dragon at the SSL

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity how did AeroCanada set the price of awards?
What's AeroCanada?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
What's AeroCanada?
The period of time where Air Canada did not have a FFP but merely participated in one managed by Aimia called Aeroplan. In other words before this week LOL

-James
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
In particular I'm looking at myself in the mirror who regularly flies UA k fares and is currently Gold. It's loyalist like me that AC should be after!
AC is not after anybody, they have a captive audience of Canadian OPM flyers on the high end, and a fair share of the low end market personal travel.

They certainly don't need to go after anyone how can get Gold for $1500. They fired those people a long time ago.
bawm and shadowspar like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
In particular I'm looking at myself in the mirror who regularly flies UA k fares and is currently Gold. It's loyalist like me that AC should be after!

Safe Travels,

James
James I mean no disrespect at all, but why would you think AC should 'go after' you? Why would the target audience be people that know how to work the system to their advantage (kudos to you for that, truly) and get huge return for minimal investment? You mention being a k fare flyer every chance you get and talk about doing TATLs for $500. You speak of loyalty but routinely discuss the easiest ways to achieve *G on other airlines (not a complaint, just an observation. You serve the community well in this way)

You have some money to spend so you have value but if AC builds programs around travelers like you they're in trouble.

Again, I'm saying all of this with considerable respect.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The fundamental basis of business truth that allows for a FF program to "give" away seats is that at 80% load, even getting $5 for another PAX aboard is better than not. Industry wide, load factors are way higher, the amount of unsalable inventory is smaller. But the FF types now have decades of experience and are able to make money in their own right (more than "actually flying" for some US carriers??)

If Aimia was especially good at data science and technology then they would have no problems after losing customer #1 . No one is beating down their doors to tap into their set of skills and technology.

No longer bound by long term contracts and with two teams and two sets of computers, there is no doubt that the new system, under one roof, with one database, with one team managing specials granting miles and specials spending miles that the opportunity for gaming the system will be reduced.

As someone who uses points/rewards "as intended", I don't expect much to change. (I expect 0 special changes to the "perks" side of things).

People gaming the system, and maybe not entirely in good faith, are going to have to learn new tricks. But eventually AE would have run out of dead stock of MOS hardware and upgraded, and AC would finalize the switch to Amadeus; if you live a life of trickery then your life is constantly learning new tricks.

All the power to you for exploiting the system, but don't expect a tear from me.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by RangerNS
All the power to you for exploiting the system, but don't expect a tear from me.
What are you going on about?!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fundamental basis of business truth that allows for a FF program to "give" away seats is that at 80% load, even getting $5 for another PAX aboard is better than not. Industry wide, load factors are way higher, the amount of unsalable inventory is smaller. But the FF types now have decades of experience and are able to make money in their own right (more than "actually flying" for some US carriers??)

If Aimia was especially good at data science and technology then they would have no problems after losing customer #1 . No one is beating down their doors to tap into their set of skills and technology.
Giving away otherwise empty seats (or seats with little marginal value) was the business model for FF programs. However thst was not anywhere near the case with Aeroplan anymore. Likewise, given the role of credit cards in the "repatriation" it looks like it won't either in the Altitude world. It may be (hopefully) that AC will not quite sell miles as cheap as Aeroplan did, which would lead to a reduction in redemptions. Still, I suspect vehicles like IKK may end up remaining in place to separate FFs from the rest of them...Of note, the altitude benefits have largely remained unchanged in the last few years. Which implies that AC is reasonably comfortable with that. Which incidentlly is why I don't go with the gloom and doom folks who predict further devaluation. Depending upon how things work out with the banks, maybe the reverse.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
There will be Air Canada (a federally regulated company, under DOT juridiction) to complain about to the DOT ver the over collection of US airport and government taxes.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:33 am

As a Computer Scientist who has worked in industry for several years and has colleagues who work at all the major tech companies in North America, I can tell you that this is a huge problem for both Aimia and Air Canada. In an industry where minimum wage is $80,000/year and stock awards are nearly compulsory I find it hard for either company to find the best and brightest in the field which they need if they want to optimize the heck out of their FFP. All the smart data scientists are working in California for the likes of Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. No point looking for a second rate developer/data-scientist since Fred Brooks (who won the Noble Prize in Computer Science) demonstrated that the difference between an average developer and a super-star in productivity is 10x!

The problem I can see from the standpoint of AC or Aimia is making the justification for forking out $125,000+ per year, options and an entirely separate org that enables developers to break things and try do things that would otherwise violate the company policies. This is an approach TD and other blue chip companies have tried recently and it's remains unclear how successful this approach will be. Keep in mind the superstars are lured to Google and Microsoft in part thanks to stock options. They know the stocks they earn will be worth significantly more in the years ahead. The same can't be said of AC stock and certainly not Aimia stock. The last you want are options that are underwater.

So yeah, maybe AC will change things up with this new program and redo their infrastructure to be less craptacular (I somewhat doubt that given how longe they've been tied to legacy systems). I remain unconvinced that their program will be anything more than second-rate for consumers or AC (the intended benefactor of the program). Keep paying your developers $60,000/year but don't be surprised if the best you get are college graduates who completed an introduction to BI course shortly before graduation. Oh and by the way, this data science stuff really matters. The highest grossing product Google, Facebook and others have are consumers. Penny wise, pound foolish!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.