Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Yep I just got it, 13:08.

Maybe it's taken their systems 30 hours to send 5 million emails. I've only been an AP member for a few years so am likely near the bottom of the pile
Old May 12, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Why? Because they can.

Open up the skies, including domestic, and see AC squirm.
We can dream but this won't happen.

Originally Posted by 24left
And if this happens and Air Canada refuses to take responsibility for the stranded pax, pitchforks at the front door and CBC news will be the least of their problems.

It doesn't really matter anymore why Bob Milton sold Aeroplan. Water. Bridge.
While all the people who spend their work days swapping companies see dollar signs (i.e. selling FF programs), we have already seen Air Canada and Aeroplan customers stranded far away with tickets not being honoured by some *A partners and these stranded customers also having no way to reach Aeroplan.

Among many things on the To-Do list, Air Canada should provide a 24/7 service and it better be people who are not in some offshore location reading off a script. There is still time to set this up properly and there are quite a few excellent agents and supervisors at Aeroplan - many of whom came from Air Canada in the first place, you know, people who actually know how to ticket, not like some other current AC employees.
What makes you think AC cares about customers or CBC? You think they are going to assume the liability of another company? Unless AC stands for A Charity, this won't happen.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
How does this effect the people playing EYW?
Old May 12, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by seadog83
People need to have confidence this isn't going to happen. When the airlines advertise "pay us money, we'll fly you somewhere" or AC/AE "fly with us, then after 15 years you'll have enough points for your dream trip" why should anyone believe them? They're changing the rules when it comes time to pay the piper.
Hasn't that ship sailed? Does anyone still believe them? I guess there's still plenty of... "yet-to-be-educated" customers out there. I'll take the points if they're giving them out, but I'm happy with my cash-back credit card. No rules, can use the cash anywhere, anytime. Some people can extract disproportionate value out of Aeroplan (more power to you!), most can't. Stop feeding the companies selling the points!

Last edited by 28isGreat; May 12, 2017 at 11:44 am Reason: clarity of last sentence
Old May 12, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by chx1975
When I opened the mail as I woke up -- I have one big beef wit it -- it doesn't say outright and crystal clear that past 2020 June what happens. Only https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html spells this out clearly.
From your link:
"Aeroplan Miles earned up to June 2020 stay in your Aeroplan account and may be redeemed for Aeroplan Rewards. Beyond June 2020, Air Canada expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption. Star Alliance partner rewards will only be available through the new Air Canada program."

The highlighted section is the million dollar question which the two parties haven't clarified (yet).
  • If, as AC has hinted, flights are available as is the case with other third parties (think for example Air Miles, Avios, Aventura), then what they are really saying is that aeroplan points will be worth something under a penny a point (i.e. it would be like if you were to currently redeem for a "Market" fare). That is a significant devaluation for someone like me who gets value equivalent to 3 or more cents every time I redeem.
  • On the other hand, if aeroplan miles will continue to be made available for an extended period for redemption at the "Classic" level as per the reward chart, that would give some comfort to current collectors even if they knew the chart was going away for Star Alliance flights other than AC. I'm pretty sure that FT crowd excluded, most aeroplan collectors redeem for AC flights anyway. (AC/AE would know that data)
Old May 12, 2017, 12:05 pm

many of us have been around long to be repeatedly burned by AP/Aimia. funny how alot of us (myself included) have not learned our lessons.

redeeming for inventory now to SA (was extremely difficult to find as so many *A blocked). but also redeemed for some gas cards LOL. better to redeem now than be deemed effectively worthless in 6 months from now
Old May 12, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Dai.Lo
many of us have been around long to be repeatedly burned by AP/Aimia. funny how alot of us (myself included) have not learned our lessons.

redeeming for inventory now to SA (was extremely difficult to find as so many *A blocked). but also redeemed for some gas cards LOL. better to redeem now than be deemed effectively worthless in 6 months from now
Great point. BURN THE POINTS people. If you are saving to see your Grandmother in Winnipeg, get to 25001 points and book it. If you need to fly business get to 50001 and burn it.

If Grandma lives in Tokyo get to 75001. If you want more than two drinks per flight (new invented-on-the-spot by lazy FA rule according to poster on another topic) and want to fly business, get to 150001.

Burn these things. This is a bit like a Ponzi scheme and the first major chink in the armo(u)r has been launched.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by The Lev
From your link:
"Aeroplan Miles earned up to June 2020 stay in your Aeroplan account and may be redeemed for Aeroplan Rewards. Beyond June 2020, Air Canada expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption. Star Alliance partner rewards will only be available through the new Air Canada program."

The highlighted section is the million dollar question which the two parties haven't clarified (yet).
  • If, as AC has hinted, flights are available as is the case with other third parties (think for example Air Miles, Avios, Aventura), then what they are really saying is that aeroplan points will be worth something under a penny a point (i.e. it would be like if you were to currently redeem for a "Market" fare). That is a significant devaluation for someone like me who gets value equivalent to 3 or more cents every time I redeem.
  • On the other hand, if aeroplan miles will continue to be made available for an extended period for redemption at the "Classic" level as per the reward chart, that would give some comfort to current collectors even if they knew the chart was going away for Star Alliance flights other than AC. I'm pretty sure that FT crowd excluded, most aeroplan collectors redeem for AC flights anyway. (AC/AE would know that data)
I read in one report this morning that the new CEO at Aimia had denied that there was any agreement with AC on the ongoing acceptance of AP miles for AC flights after 2020. It looks like this issue is shaping up as a huge one to AP members. While AC has said that it will offer incentives to join its new program, there are no details, and I still have not figured out how it makes a new program effective when none of its members have enough miles to do anything on day one. Maybe the incentive miles will buy toasters.

On another issue, when will the competitors to AP affiliated CCs start to offer major incentives to grab disenchanted customers like me. Wherever possible, I have stopped using my TD/AP Visa and trying to figure out how to proceed.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by The smallest state
BURN THE POINTS people..
+1
Old May 12, 2017, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
A Burn-thePoints Do

LOLLLLLL
Old May 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by fin 645
I read in one report this morning that the new CEO at Aimia had denied that there was any agreement with AC on the ongoing acceptance of AP miles for AC flights after 2020. It looks like this issue is shaping up as a huge one to AP members. While AC has said that it will offer incentives to join its new program, there are no details, and I still have not figured out how it makes a new program effective when none of its members have enough miles to do anything on day one. Maybe the incentive miles will buy toasters.

On another issue, when will the competitors to AP affiliated CCs start to offer major incentives to grab disenchanted customers like me. Wherever possible, I have stopped using my TD/AP Visa and trying to figure out how to proceed.
Aeroplan is Air Canada's largest single customer according to an annual report I read in a MLL. I would imagine they will allow AP to continue to buy AC flights, as I read the announcements, you can still buy AC tickets on Star Alliance flights just not tickets directly through UA. AP may have enough clout to approach UA directly (or any other Star Alliance member)
Old May 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
A Burn-thePoints Do

LOLLLLLL
I was thinking it would be funny to do a F RTW do. The obvious obstacle is finding enough seats on a route to make it work.

if done right, I sure it could get a little bit of press, and put some focus on AC or AE to do the right thing.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar
I was thinking it would be funny to do a F RTW do. The obvious obstacle is finding enough seats on a route to make it work.

if done right, I sure it could get a little bit of press, and put some focus on AC or AE to do the right thing.
If one can even find enough F.....

Also, the Friends of the RCHHMP will bleat about the entitled and their entitlements.

Better idea. We all do Tango. Transcon. Take over a cabin. Party favours.

C'mon, I'm not the only one who flies Y on Dom and TB. Mucho fun with the right crew. We can be demanding all the way across the continent.

No fun doing it in F when the crew expects FFs and FTers to be demanding.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

And here comes the CBC....

It's time to plan your 2020 choice: Aeroplan or Air Canada's new loyalty program?
'Start using up those miles because we don't know what the future holds,' says expert

By Sophia Harris, CBC News Posted: May 12, 2017 5:00 AM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aero...gram-1.4111293
Old May 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

And here comes the CBC....

It's time to plan your 2020 choice: Aeroplan or Air Canada's new loyalty program?
'Start using up those miles because we don't know what the future holds,' says expert

By Sophia Harris, CBC News Posted: May 12, 2017 5:00 AM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aero...gram-1.4111293

Great news organization and Great job again by the CBC. Keep shining the light on AC, it is the only thing they hate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.