Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel for "planned delay"?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hotel for "planned delay"?

My GF is flying YOW-YYZ-LAX and got stuck in something AC called a "planned delay" and missed the YYZ-LAX connection. They sat in the plane for 2 hours before taking off, then got stuck in a holding pattern before landing, then were prevented from deplaning due to another flight deplaning. They're denying her hotel because they said it's a "planned delay program". They didn't say anything about delays before departing YOW.

Are there any Canadian rules she can appeal to to at least get them to provide a hotel? It sounds like it was within the control of AC. Ideal would be to get them to put her on another airline and get to LAX with another connection if necessary, if there's any rules she can appeal to to force that.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by chrisl137
My GF is flying YOW-YYZ-LAX and got stuck in something AC called a "planned delay" and missed the YYZ-LAX connection. They sat in the plane for 2 hours before taking off, then got stuck in a holding pattern before landing, then were prevented from deplaning due to another flight deplaning. They're denying her hotel because they said it's a "planned delay program". They didn't say anything about delays before departing YOW.

Are there any Canadian rules she can appeal to to at least get them to provide a hotel? It sounds like it was within the control of AC. Ideal would be to get them to put her on another airline and get to LAX with another connection if necessary, if there's any rules she can appeal to to force that.

What are/were her exact flight and travel dates. Hard to tell from your post.

Not sure what a "planned delay program" is but the is a GDP - Ground Delay Program (similar to the current one at LAX with runway construction)

See this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-7-2017-a.html

Now, if your GF did not know about the AC Travel alerts and if they were posted on the AC website for the date she was travelling - which would allow changes as detailed, I am not sure what else to offer

AC Travle Alerts page

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l-outlook.html

IMHO:
I would really hate to think that AC staff are now punishing customers with departure delays, flight delays and then sitting on the ground, all while claiming a program for runway construction is something they weren't aware of, and thus are not responsible for getting a customer to their destination or provide compensation for the delay.

This of course will open that debate "people who fly should take the responsibility to constantly check the airline website to see if there is any change or delay to their flight" (eg. register for notifications, check travel alerts)

Feel free to continue the argument in the main thread
Old May 2, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She's stuck in YYZ right now...

She was in Ottawa for a day to do reviews for some science programs and they booked her to fly LAX-YOW on sunday and back today.

Yes, AC is claiming it's something outside their control.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
ADDING:

These travel alerts are for today for YYZ and LAX

Attached Images   
Old May 2, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They were claiming the YOW-YYZ flight was on time until they boarded-- they're probably doing what NWA did way back in the 1999 snowstorm and pushing from the gate to get on time departures even if they know the arrival will be 2 hours late.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by chrisl137

Both flights on the same files number?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
It would be ATC in YYZ telling them they could not depart YOW yet. Sometimes the pilots do not find out about wheels up time until shortly before scheduled departure. Sometimes they do find out but board and push back anyways as these things can change.

ATC delays like this are not in the airline's control.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582
It would be ATC in YYZ telling them they could not depart YOW yet. Sometimes the pilots do not find out about wheels up time until shortly before scheduled departure. Sometimes they do find out but board and push back anyways as these things can change.

ATC delays like this are not in the airline's control.
Planning flights over capacity of the airport is within the airline's control, and from the long thread they seem to be planning flights without considering the capacity. The US ended up getting a new law about tarmac delays because of bad ground management during the '99 DTW snowstorm.

And it should be all one itinerary - it was booked by the travel agents for whatever agency flew her out. She managed to find a hotel far out and will make the travel agency sort it out.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Hang on, she's stuck in transit? Didn't I read that AC always provides a hotel while in transit? Paging @canadiancow!

Good that she got a hotel, I'd certainly be writing in with the bill.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Hang on, she's stuck in transit? Didn't I read that AC always provides a hotel while in transit? Paging @canadiancow!

Good that she got a hotel, I'd certainly be writing in with the bill.
All I know is what I've been told by agents, prior to being SE.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
All I know is what I've been told by agents, prior to being SE.
Respectfully, I feel the need to point out these people probably work at the airport.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Respectfully, I feel the need to point out these people probably work at the airport.
They most certainly all did work at the airport!
Old May 3, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I love though when you don't get the update from the airline until you're on board. Kinda SOL at that point.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Never mind, misread
Old May 3, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
"Are there any Canadian rules she can appeal to at least get them to provide a hotel?"

The answer is no. This is considered an uncontrollable delay. Therefore, hotels are not provided by the airline. If the passenger purchased travel insurance or has travel insurance with their credit card this may assist in covering a hotel stay. But at the end of the day, they answer is no. I have a feeling that airlines, like Air Canada, are just as upset with the delays at YYZ as the passengers are. Not that this helps, but the delays are hurting their operational planning and impacting their brand for first time/infrequent flyers like yours who have limited AC flights to think of how well they went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.