Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/how-to-play

canadiancow's calculator: http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/eyw/index.php

FT members trying to earn a spot in the top 30:

alc (aaalllccc) - 126,500 wings + any WiFi I will get
canadiancow - ~106,575 so far (earned, not posted)
mozzarella - ~86K wings + future wifi
biglinguist -- 61,000 wings (2 days' EYW runs + regular travel)
mikeyyz - ~50k wings (aiming for 28-30th too)
dtman85 (deedat85)- 41K wings (4 days' EYW runs)-(Aiming for 28-30th)
bonaventure - 40k wings

****** Posted on EYW Website ******
12/11/17
This edition of Air Canada Earn Your Wings is now over. Thank you for participating in this sixth edition for Air Canada Altitude 2017 members. Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be credited up to three weeks after the final refresh on February 15, 2018, so check the website for Leaderboard ranking updates.
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings (EYW) v6 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
​​​​​​Are you in dire need for some toasters or golf bags? :P
i wish I could convert my AP miles to Starwood points...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I think my wife would kill me if I participated this time around. I still have a ton of miles to burn.

I'd only join if the top 10 earned 50 million miles
I came in top 10 in the three I participated in, and Mrs. YVR is not supportive this time around.

Although I neither need the Aeroplan miles, or the Altitude miles. I'm going to cross both AQM and AQD in September.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
I came in top 10 in the three I participated in, and Mrs. YVR is not supportive this time around.

Although I neither need the Aeroplan miles, or the Altitude miles. I'm going to cross both AQM and AQD in September.
I could certainly use some AQD and either AQM/AQS.

But given my Thanksgiving week has already been mostly booked by my TYO/SYD trip, I'm not sure how much I can commit to it this time around. Maybe I'll do 5-7 days of EYW before that trip... I'll certainly need a vacation after.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So you have no obligations at work, correct?

I am excited
Haha, the obligation to the baby is the hard part.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
So no information on when EYW will take place or even when we can expect an announcement?

Let's see what they come up with this time. I found the last few rounds rather unimpressive: minimal incentive to take additional trips, minimal incentive to choose a different routing on trips I was planning to take anyway

Sure, I'm happy for those who enjoyed their 6-10 days living on regional jets taking 30-120min flights to make it into the top x, but IMO AC will have to improve the promo if it wants to reach a larger audience.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
So no information on when EYW will take place or even when we can expect an announcement?
Not yet, but I'd expect something soon.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Let's see what they come up with this time. I found the last few rounds rather unimpressive: minimal incentive to take additional trips, minimal incentive to choose a different routing on trips I was planning to take anyway

Sure, I'm happy for those who enjoyed their 6-10 days living on regional jets taking 30-120min flights to make it into the top x, but IMO AC will have to improve the promo if it wants to reach a larger audience.
I can think of one of the top 10 who hardly did any extra flying. He mostly routed his YVR-YYZ trips through the prairies.

AC can make money from this two ways.

1. People book extra trips they would not have otherwise booked. I'm definitely in this category. All revenue is new revenue for AC.

2. People who reroute trips they would take anyways, getting off the full YVR-YYZ 77W onto the "empty" YVR-YEG-YYC-YXE-YWG-YYZ flights. This is great for AC if those other flights are actually empty, and the non-stop was full. But none of that is guaranteed.

But they had to design it in a way so that the YVR-YYZ business traveler who books close in doesn't win the contest for trips that would absolutely have been taken anyway.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I guess what I'm wondering is why AC would delay the announcement on a date so long. Is it purely to prevent people delaying purchasing fares for the period in question? It seems like a flawed business practice not to announce it in advance - or even not to have it.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I guess what I'm wondering is why AC would delay the announcement on a date so long. Is it purely to prevent people delaying purchasing fares for the period in question? It seems like a flawed business practice not to announce it in advance - or even not to have it.
What do you mean delay the announcement so long?

We don't even know what the "period in question" is yet.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:11 pm

What do you mean delay the announcement so long?

We don't even know what the "period in question" is yet.
I mean I don't get why AC won't confirm they're gonna do one, from date x to date y.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I mean I don't get why AC won't confirm they're gonna do one, from date x to date y.
Given that you have to book within the window, I suppose they don't want to delay bookings.

But they've now made it pretty obvious they ARE going to do one, even if they haven't said when, so who knows what their reasoning is.

They may just want to build up hype on FT
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:16 pm

Given that you have to book within the window, I suppose they don't want to delay bookings.

But they've now made it pretty obvious they ARE going to do one, even if they haven't said when, so who knows what their reasoning is.

They may just want to build up hype on FT
Say wha... AC read FT?

Now, for my thoughts on juice...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by dtman85
I guess is coming soon? Bad timing for me I'm on parental leave.
Don't worry, you automatically requalify for the same status next year with the new parent/new child feature of Altitude.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Don't worry, you automatically requalify for the same status next year with the new parent/new child feature of Altitude.
Well, I believe you have to request this and provide proof of the standard sort to AC. Documents signed in blood and the like. Depending upon which agent you get.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In today's Altitude Report

Attached Images  
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Oh damn, only top 10 gets a share of the pool? Much less appealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.