Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
This wiki thread is devoted to the topic of what to do when Denied Boarding, the Compensation provided, and general experiences of those who were Denied Boarding.

If applicable, please post your Denied Boarding experiences as per the below list:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31305207-post171.html
Originally Posted by yyznomad

For those IDB'd/VDB'd, please post in this thread:
  1. Date of IDB/VDB
  2. IDB or VDB
  3. Compensation dollar amount
  4. Cash (cheque) or eMCO
  5. Flight # you were DB'd from
  6. Flight # you were placed on after being DB'd (also indicate if next day)
  7. Were hotel vouchers provided?
  8. Were food vouchers provided?
  9. Other

Recent Example Denied Boarding Compensation form/card/"receipt":

Restrictions:
1. Can only be used over the phone
2. Only applies to base fares (not YQ, not taxes/fees)
3. Can be used to book a ticket in anyone's name
4. Can be used multiple times
5. Expiry date of 2 years (even though it says 1), but you can call to get it reactivated after that

Required amounts as dictated by the Government of Canada:
Less than 6 hours: $900
6-9 hours: $1800
9+ hours: $2400

From Air Canada Customer Service FAQ
​​​​​

Does Air Canada overbook its flights?

Just the facts:

Yes, we do.

Behind the facts:

Airline passengers place a high value on refundable tickets (in case they can't make their flight, don't show up or decide to change travel plans). In these cases, overbooking is a means (certainly not perfect but, on the whole, pretty viable) that lets us offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money.

In the rare circumstances (and it is rare) where you can't get on a flight due to overbooking, we offer compensation (in the form of a travel voucher or cash) and we make alternate arrangements to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.

Air Canada - General Conditions of Carriage

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-tariffs.html

OVERBOOKING NOTICE

Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations.

Also included here are

UK Alternative Dispute Resolution – for UK departing flights only

and

China departing flights only

Print Wikipost

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are occasions when a flight is so overbooked that oversale is inevitable. But, 3 seats on a micro-hop such as this could disappear with one traffic jam. Carriers have no desire to, nor should they, shell out C$1,000 when there is ultimately no need and that can only be determined at the gate (for flights such as this).

People are quick to judge about what is "toooo haaard" but most of them have no clue about the business operations they criticize.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
There are occasions when a flight is so overbooked that oversale is inevitable. But, 3 seats on a micro-hop such as this could disappear with one traffic jam. Carriers have no desire to, nor should they, shell out C$1,000 when there is ultimately no need and that can only be determined at the gate (for flights such as this).

People are quick to judge about what is "toooo haaard" but most of them have no clue about the business operations they criticize.
I've been in situations where I wanted a reroute (for no fee) because my flight was over by a few people. They declined. By the time it got to the gate, I was called up and offered a reroute, but the timing no longer made sense, so they had to shell out hundreds of dollars to multiple people. I had two on my itinerary, and could have saved them quite a bit.

But because they left it to the gate, they ended up paying out about $800 instead of waiving a SDC fee at check-in.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I’m surprised they’d only offer $1000 for an overnight. I just got $800 and some meal vouchers for a 5.5 hour delay from YUL-YSJ.

I’m actually surprised at how few people volunteered. That’s a decent chunk of cash for the wait.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by meagicano
I’m surprised they’d only offer $1000 for an overnight. I just got $800 and some meal vouchers for a 5.5 hour delay from YUL-YSJ.

I’m actually surprised at how few people volunteered. That’s a decent chunk of cash for the wait.
$800 for domestic overnight is also what I am always offered as well.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
$800 for domestic overnight is also what I am always offered as well.
I had assumed they’d revised their compensation parameters when they offered $800 last week for that relatively short delay (I did try to negotiate a higher rate, because why not). I guess my $800 was an anomaly.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AC 162 YEG to YYZ over by 7. Took several volunteers at $800 chèque or voucher. Rebooked on flight at 11:30 (was 7:20). Was connecting to Europe and arrival in Europe not impacted. Very good deal
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:35 am

I posted about this in the YQB do thread, but for a recap and followup:

Friday, September 21, the last YYZ-YQB was over by one. A couple beat me to the podium, but they wouldn't split. I, however, was fully willing to split from my group.

I was given $800 "cash" (they mail a cheque, but the other option is a credit), a hotel and negligible meal vouchers, and my choice of flight the next day. The fact that I was in J made a big difference, as the first two flights were full in Y, but not full overall, and they would not have booked me on them had I been in Y (I witnessed an "IDB" who was only given Y options).

I was out of town and I don't know how often my roommate checked the mail, but the cheque showed up no later than Saturday, October 7 (though quite possibly earlier).

Under two weeks seems standard for me on ex-Canada flights, with the cheque mailed to SFO.
jasdou likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I posted about this in the YQB do thread, but for a recap and followup:

Friday, September 21, the last YYZ-YQB was over by one. A couple beat me to the podium, but they wouldn't split. I, however, was fully willing to split from my group.

I was given $800 "cash" (they mail a cheque, but the other option is a credit), a hotel and negligible meal vouchers, and my choice of flight the next day. The fact that I was in J made a big difference, as the first two flights were full in Y, but not full overall, and they would not have booked me on them had I been in Y (I witnessed an "IDB" who was only given Y options).

I was out of town and I don't know how often my roommate checked the mail, but the cheque showed up no later than Saturday, October 7 (though quite possibly earlier).

Under two weeks seems standard for me on ex-Canada flights, with the cheque mailed to SFO.
Yeah I was shocked to receive my VDB cheques "relatively" quick. Like light speed in AC terms!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: AC*E50K
VDB Oversell Lost

Hey. Accepted VDB for oversell this morning, was told $400 comp. Was offloaded but then called back and put back on original flight.
should i still receive the VDB payment? Lost original seat assignments so i was removed from flight.
thoughts, please
thank you
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If you got back on the flight, no VDB compensation is due as you weren't denied boarding (ultimately).

For the lost seat assignment, you could write in to customer relations and maybe get a 10% off code or something like that as compensation. If you had paid a fee to select the seat, they should also refund that fee.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
you had 400 reasons ($) to do VACATE the gate area after you received the compensation. or to hurry up and spend the voucher online.

sounds like the agent took you off the flight but moved your status to standby. not only did you give up your seat # but also your boarding priority, your best chance for bin space, etc.

//Not specific to AC but I've had some airline agents put me back on standby just in case. I think if I end up clearing AND keep voucher due to no-shows it looks bad on them for jumping the gun and issuing compensation before final boarding was done. When I am asked for the voucher back I have been able to politely refuse saying I was trying to help them and already gave up x, y, and z.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by expert7700
you had 400 reasons ($) to do VACATE the gate area after you received the compensation. or to hurry up and spend the voucher online.

sounds like the agent took you off the flight but moved your status to standby. not only did you give up your seat # but also your boarding priority, your best chance for bin space, etc.

//Not specific to AC but I've had some airline agents put me back on standby just in case. I think if I end up clearing AND keep voucher due to no-shows it looks bad on them for jumping the gun and issuing compensation before final boarding was done. When I am asked for the voucher back I have been able to politely refuse saying I was trying to help them and already gave up x, y, and z.
This is why most AC agents don't even touch the vouchers and accomodations until after the gate / flight is closed. I've had this happen to me before which is why when I volunteer I have them pull me from the flight right away and rebook me and then sort the credit once the flight is closed. Since they've already committed and moved me flights, they can't back out on the voucher.

But yeah, crappy.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

Unfortunately, I hadn’t received the voucher, but i think you’re right about the standby as I was monitoring the app wondering why I hadn’t moved to the new flight. In any case, it was a total hassle and they shouldn’t take away what was offered to me. I will pursue it, knowing they’ll laugh in my face.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
This is why most AC agents don't even touch the vouchers and accomodations until after the gate / flight is closed. I've had this happen to me before which is why when I volunteer I have them pull me from the flight right away and rebook me and then sort the credit once the flight is closed. Since they've already committed and moved me flights, they can't back out on the voucher.

But yeah, crappy.
Great advice for next time...thank you
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:56 pm

I don't understand why they'd take your seat before they know they need it.

Every time I've VDB'd, they haven't offloaded me until they were printing the voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.