Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
This wiki thread is devoted to the topic of what to do when Denied Boarding, the Compensation provided, and general experiences of those who were Denied Boarding.

If applicable, please post your Denied Boarding experiences as per the below list:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31305207-post171.html
Originally Posted by yyznomad

For those IDB'd/VDB'd, please post in this thread:
  1. Date of IDB/VDB
  2. IDB or VDB
  3. Compensation dollar amount
  4. Cash (cheque) or eMCO
  5. Flight # you were DB'd from
  6. Flight # you were placed on after being DB'd (also indicate if next day)
  7. Were hotel vouchers provided?
  8. Were food vouchers provided?
  9. Other

Recent Example Denied Boarding Compensation form/card/"receipt":

Restrictions:
1. Can only be used over the phone
2. Only applies to base fares (not YQ, not taxes/fees)
3. Can be used to book a ticket in anyone's name
4. Can be used multiple times
5. Expiry date of 2 years (even though it says 1), but you can call to get it reactivated after that

Required amounts as dictated by the Government of Canada:
Less than 6 hours: $900
6-9 hours: $1800
9+ hours: $2400

From Air Canada Customer Service FAQ
​​​​​

Does Air Canada overbook its flights?

Just the facts:

Yes, we do.

Behind the facts:

Airline passengers place a high value on refundable tickets (in case they can't make their flight, don't show up or decide to change travel plans). In these cases, overbooking is a means (certainly not perfect but, on the whole, pretty viable) that lets us offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money.

In the rare circumstances (and it is rare) where you can't get on a flight due to overbooking, we offer compensation (in the form of a travel voucher or cash) and we make alternate arrangements to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.

Air Canada - General Conditions of Carriage

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-tariffs.html

OVERBOOKING NOTICE

Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations.

Also included here are

UK Alternative Dispute Resolution – for UK departing flights only

and

China departing flights only

Print Wikipost

VDB, IDB and Compensation - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:40 pm

Volunteer Priority

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I was on a domestic flight from YYZ which was overbooked. They asked for volunteers and I was first to do so. However, they decided to give the volunteer spot to the person behind me who asked afterwards. Is there an Air Canada policy on how they pick this? Is this based on your altitude status?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Did you accept an offer? Maybe they accepted something less.

Maybe the other PAX had a connecting flight that could be accommodated into a single hop.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't think AC is allowed to do "bidding" (i.e. accepting a lower offer) any more. CTA mandates the amount.

If you only have carry-on, you have priority over someone who's checked a bag.
If you are flying YYZ-YVR-SFO, and can be put on the non-stop YYZ-SFO, then you might not even want (or be entitled to) compensation, so you would have priority over someone who just wants a later YYZ-YVR flight (plus money), especially if the later ones are full.

All things being equal, if they only needed one person, I would absolutely say something like "Super Elites get priority for volunteering, right?"
maradori likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
All things being equal, if they only needed one person, I would absolutely say something like "Super Elites get priority for volunteering, right?"
Never hurts to ask, it worked for me
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:59 am
alc

Originally Posted by Merhar
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I was on a domestic flight from YYZ which was overbooked. They asked for volunteers and I was first to do so. However, they decided to give the volunteer spot to the person behind me who asked afterwards. Is there an Air Canada policy on how they pick this? Is this based on your altitude status?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

My possible may be that PAX behind did asked if they are looking for volunteers previously (like what cow does if I understood his post correctly ) and hence that PAX was technically volunteer first.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:32 pm

Update on my $400.

I received this email this morning:

Case Number: CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxxx

Dear Mr. Kennedy,

As the result of a processing error, the cheque you are expecting was not processed and mailed until November 24, 2017. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Please accept the enclosed promotional code valued at 10% with our apologies for this mishap. Please see below details of your promotional code.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on board in the future.

Sincerely,

Customer Relations
I also received the cheque today. So... yay?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Any datapoints? What are people getting for domestic and international VDB ?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I also received the cheque today. So... yay?
Mail delivered by an actual snail?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any datapoints? What are people getting for domestic and international VDB ?
If you're departing Canada, the numbers are fixed, based on length of delay to your destination.

Getting Compensation for Denied Boarding - Don't Call the Airline! has a good summary a bit further down.

VDB amounts, in my experience, match those IDB amounts. Though I suspect if you have an auction going on (two people both trying to VDB), the numbers could be decreased.

If you're departing a different country, that country's regulations would also have an impact on the amounts.

Originally Posted by D404
Mail delivered by an actual snail?
Yup. Then I took a photo through the TD app and deposited it
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
I just boarded AC8730 after almost getting VDB’ed. Just before starting boarding, they called for 6 volunteers and offered 200$ (cheque, not AC funny money) to take a flight 1.5 hour later. Two volunteers came up. I went after that and tried negotiating that amount up but the GA couldn’t increase the amount. She then made a phone call and got the authorization to go up to 400$, after which I quickly volunteered. Three other people followed me.

I was pretty pleased with the situation but then after they had pretty much completed boarding, they called up several names of passengers that obviously didn’t show up. Eventually they gave us all new boarding passes as there ended up being enough seats for everyone.

What sucks a bit is that I ended up with 19F instead of 01D on a Q400.

Anyway, I thought the whole process was interesting though I am disappointed I wasn’t VDB’ed in the end.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasdou

Anyway, I thought the whole process was interesting though I am disappointed I wasn’t VDB’ed in the end.
Your VDB time will come.

I've had successes and failures (mostly failures, so at least I got onto my original flight), but next time you volunteer for VDB, be adamant about not having your seat changed if you VDB fail.
canadiancow, Bohemian1 and jasdou like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by jasdou
I am disappointed I wasn’t VDB’ed in the end.
this is exactly why Denied Boarding protocols must be carefully regulated by CTA to avoid folks gaming the system.

If pay-out higher than fare, then folks turn this into a business venture, using on-line tools to determine which flights are likely to be overbooked and plan accordingly.

If folks do NOT believe this will happen, jasdou here expresses dissatisfaction that the planned itinerary was NOT in fact interrupted...incredible...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
this is exactly why Denied Boarding protocols must be carefully regulated by CTA to avoid folks gaming the system.

If pay-out higher than fare, then folks turn this into a business venture, using on-line tools to determine which flights are likely to be overbooked and plan accordingly.

If folks do NOT believe this will happen, jasdou here expresses dissatisfaction that the planned itinerary was NOT in fact interrupted...incredible...
Seriously?

I want to take AC 739. It has pods. It gets me home by 10pm.

But for $200, I'll gladly take 759. No pods, and I'm not home until midnight, but I'll sacrifice that for $200.

It's the same price to book, so I'm not picking a cheaper flight. I'm picking the best flight, assuming there will be no oversell.

But you can bet your butt I'm going to be the first one at the counter when they announce an oversell on 739, and if they make that announcement and I am unable to secure a VDB payout, I will also be disappointed.

I'm not gaming the system, and my emotions are not "incredible".

The only thing incredible is your attitude about airline business practices.
ffsim, jasdou and 24left like this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jun 29, 2018 at 10:30 am Reason: Added a missing word
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I don't think @jasdou is trying to game any system; rather this being his/her first experience, and was successful in getting $400 approved, was anticipating the process and the money.
I don't believe at all that @jasdou is an AC VDB gamer. S/he was merely posting their raw thoughts on their first experience... nothing more, nothing less, IMHO.
jasdou and 24left like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE

You are totally right. It is about time regulators put in place an air travel chart to protect vulnerable airlines from ill-intentioned passengers that will run them out of business through abuse of VDB.

Seriously, the whole overbooking/IDB/VDB situation is caused by airlines, not by passengers. By volunteering to switch to a later flight when my schedule allows it, I am helping a fellow passenger get where he needs to be when he needs to be and am helping the airline that overbooked the flight solve the situation to everyone's satisfaction without resorting to IDB, which would certainly be more painful for everyone involved.

By the time I was offered VDB compensation, my itinerary had ALREADY been disrupted and I was getting home several hours later than initially planned. I didn't mind a few more hours of delays but to other people, that may have mattered. Hence why I was happy to offer my seat and bag 400$ along the way. Am I disappointed that I ended up not getting the money? Of course. Am I dissatisfied that AC got me home eventually? Of course not. The main irritant here was really the loss of my preferred seat. By offering my seat up and trying to help AC, I ended up in a worse situation than I already was, which is the part that AC should try to address.

Thanks @canadiancow and @yyznomad, I think you both got my point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.