Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Avianca and Copa reward seats not viewable on Aeroplan.ca

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avianca and Copa reward seats not viewable on Aeroplan.ca

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I forgot that Rupert was still on medical leave, but I took the time to resurrect the email thread from last year to his colleagues at Aimia. There is no excuse for this (and lack of any updates or acknowledgement of same on the website).

Flying AM J today instead to my destination, but not happy about it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AE50K
What is the process for escalating this with Aimia? Email address, phone?? Its unacceptable. I think this is a story the media would be interested in especially given the new interest in unacceptable airline policies thanks to United.

Originally Posted by PointWeasel

I thought this issue had finally been resolved last year and now both CM and AV are being intentionally blocked due to ticketing challenges that no other Star Alliance partner seems to be experiencing...except for Aeroplan on 014 ticket stock. Colour me highly suspicious.

I want to book PTY-BOG tomorrow and there are 3 flights available in I space; 2 AV and 1 CM. For Aeroplan to intentionally block these, is unacceptable.

That ongoing Aeroplan Myths campaign is nonsense, but of course Aeroplan management (and marketing) continue to get away with this. Moreoer, if they know about they issue, then put a note on the website which acknowledges the issue and gives an date by when it will be fixed. Utter incompetence.

I have numerous emails back/forth with Aimia Montreal staff about the issue last May/June and I had a supervisor finally book my ticket, but it was a challenge and took 10 days.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, PC Platinum
Yeah this is getting ridiculous... still nothing on the AE front to fix this.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Been savings points for a big trip that needs Avianca. This bug came up a month ago. I called Aeroplan and they said it was a temporary problem their IT is trying to fix.

It's been a month. This is very frustrating. I saved points just for this trip.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed?

It's definitely a bug and it's definitely something they know about.

Does anyone know any managers or seniors at Aeroplan or Air Canada we can complain to?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I know people at Air Canada but they don't have much control over this.

Maybe I should send a more formal email.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've never had any issues with AV, though they seem to not release much space to their North American flights I feel like, and almost nothing to EZE, but that seems to not just be them, had the same issue looking at LATAM.

Copa has been an issue forever now, it's really bogus since AV doesn't have great space to some places, CM would be the backup plan. Was trying to book a multi city, YVR-EZE-MSY-YVR. It's available, but the only routing I was given (since it's more than 330 out) was YVR-YYZ-EZE-YYZ-MSY-YYZ-YVR, which obviously isn't bookable cuz you can't transit the same city twice. Brilliant. This thing has to get fixed.

I'm ok with them blocking CA awards. They've had way too many people show up to CA flights and be told "you don't have a ticket" apparently. So until that's sorted out, I'd rather not have those situations happen to me or anyone else. I wanna fly CA, but I don't wanna get stuck. Maybe I'll use SQ points for a CA flight, but who knows.

LX disappeared for like a week there, a week where I was furiously trying to book an award. Sure enough like the day after I book, it's back lol. At least it was resolved quickly.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC, DL, AS, BA, EY
Originally Posted by weyoun
Been savings points for a big trip that needs Avianca. This bug came up a month ago. I called Aeroplan and they said it was a temporary problem their IT is trying to fix.

It's been a month. This is very frustrating. I saved points just for this trip.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed?

It's definitely a bug and it's definitely something they know about.

Does anyone know any managers or seniors at Aeroplan or Air Canada we can complain to?
This is no bug; Aeroplan differs from the other Star carriers in that it is operated by a company (Aimia) rather than a carrier. When the airlines negotiate between each other they work on two basic currencies: money and seats. Aimia can play the money game, but have no control over the amount of space that AC will release.

Bear in mind too that Aimia operate Air Miles, a loyalty program that actually "buys" seats from AC, and it is in their interest to see more "A" class seats for that usage that push the carrier to open up more space for their partners. So we are caught in the middle.

AP is a good program, but as access to the promised space is denied because of a negotiating issue over which Aimia has little control, we will see fees for AC rise and space on other Star carriers decrease.

Why, however, will Aimia not be honest and tell us what is going on. Instead they bleat about it being an "IT" problem. Well, the two computer systems can talk well enough if it is a revenue seat, and the operating systems don't know the functional difference between booking classes - they just capture space and establish a payable for its use.

Come on Aimia, open up and tell us where on earth Aeroplan is going to go.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by WinnipegMax
Bear in mind too that Aimia operate Air Miles, a loyalty program that actually "buys" seats from AC, and it is in their interest to see more "A" class seats for that usage that push the carrier to open up more space for their partners. So we are caught in the middle.
Huh? Is this fake news?

Aimia has their fingers into alot of pies, but AirMiles is not one of them. AirMiles is owned by LoyaltyOne and their parent is Alliance Data.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AE50K
Air Canada announces today they are ending the relationship with AIMA and the Aeroplan program as of July 2020. Now I know why I can't get Avianca seats anymore. Hopefully now that the terms of the agreement (3 year notice) have been announced they will open up Avianca seats again.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:29 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZMcGee
Air Canada announces today they are ending the relationship with AIMA and the Aeroplan program as of July 2020. Now I know why I can't get Avianca seats anymore. Hopefully now that the terms of the agreement (3 year notice) have been announced they will open up Avianca seats again.
Here's an article, for those interested:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...plan-1.4109868
Old May 11, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by YYZMcGee
More fake news.

The AV/CM issue has nothing to do with the developments over the past 24 hours. I received a callback from the AE call centre manager who advised me of the ongoing IT challenges they are having with those 2 carriers.

I will leave it to others to answer to the ongoing CA blocking.

LX comes and goes. IT issue?
Old May 12, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
More fake news.

The AV/CM issue has nothing to do with the developments over the past 24 hours. I received a callback from the AE call centre manager who advised me of the ongoing IT challenges they are having with those 2 carriers.

I will leave it to others to answer to the ongoing CA blocking.

LX comes and goes. IT issue?
except for the fact that these negotiations don't come as a surprise to the two parties involved - aimia/ac - they have been discussing at least for a few months. My gut says aimia blocking a bunch of award inventory for multiple *A so as not get get a run on the bank...points situation.

edit: super frustrating, looking for award inventory in SA but being unable to use it... I need the emoji for a super angry face

Last edited by Dai.Lo; May 12, 2017 at 11:18 am Reason: update
Old May 14, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Still no Copa.

Client tried to book SCL-PTY-YYZ... Showing on lifemiles and united.com - not via AE
Old May 14, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Still no Copa.

Client tried to book SCL-PTY-YYZ... Showing on lifemiles and united.com - not via AE
I have a feeling that AP will continue to block spaces until June 2020...
Old May 14, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Jma12
I have a feeling that AP will continue to block spaces until June 2020...
Well when YYZ-SCL is $70ish in taxes on Copa/Avianca, and $350 on AC metal (Y) - it makes total sense why CM/AV is blocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.