Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Security at LAX? - I am taking the red-eye AC flight to Toronto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2003, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I am taking the AC red-eye flight to Toronto, from LAX, next week.

I wonder about the new TSA security arrangements. Is the luggage checked landside? - if so, can I lock the luggage after they are finished?

Is the luggage checked along the check-in line, or is there a separate line - and is there a separate line for Elites? How long does this process take?

How long are the personal security lines, at that time? Is there an elite line for security?

If I want to be in the gate area 1 hr before flight departure, how long before flight departure should I arrive at the airport?
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:22 am

The security line in Terminal 2 is bad usually around peak connection times so after about 8 pm or so it'll be okay.

Luggage is put through a machine immediately after you check in at AC. The TSA people are right there. Golf clubs are hand-searched and the guy used my key to re-lock my case after he was finished. We all laughed because I said maybe he'd find all the golf balls I had lost over the weekend! All the TSA people went to great lengths to say that was doubtful and were quite amused by it all.

I don't think you'll be allowed to lock luggage that merely goes through the machine because that's inside the TSA perimeter and no one is allowed in there.

You'll have lots of time if you arrive 1 1/2 hours before departure.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
We arrived at LAX 2.5 hours, before flight departure - ie 8 PM.

No lineups at the check-in counter (either SE/E/business class, or regular lines) or security lines.

I agree with you about the TSA screening of luggage - again only one family ahead of us. The x-rays seemed to allow all luggage to go through - I did not see ours, or anyone else's luggage being manually checked.

The only surprises were that the check-out food establishments (eg Burger King) closed by the time we left the lounge at 10 PM (ie the time the MLL closes); this flight does not serve hot food (I wonder why?).

I was tempted to go to the Air New Zealand lounge, next to the MLL - I have never visited that airline's lounge - however, because it closed at 9:30 PM (the departure of the last Air New Zealand flight of the day) - and going to it would have meant being displaced to the MLL (for the extra 1/2 hour) - we decided to stay in the MLL. I wonder how this Air New Zealand lounge compares to the MLL.

At this time of night, all the newspapers had gone from the MLL - although I was able to look up the newspapers, on the web sites.

I was surprised that the washrooms are not physically in the MLL (however, they were a few steps away - on this floor where all lounges for this terminal building were located) - I wonder if any other MLLs around the world also are deficient in on-site washrooms.

Old Mar 16, 2003, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX MLL washrooms a few steps away !

You have to go all around to the other side of the balcony. Most inconvenient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.