Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring if not live in Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
No points will expire until September 30 2024.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...spended.html#/
Print Wikipost

How to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring if not live in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 1:04 pm

Amex or Diners Club US transfer

I’m in the US and I also used Carrot Rewards to deposit some Aeroplan miles. I just ran into this and I decided to transfer 1,000 Amex Membership Rewards miles. The transfer was instant. Diners Club US also is an option that supposedly takes 3 to 5 business days. It may not be creative but at least it works.
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With the free cancellation policy in place, one could even book a flight, wait a couple of weeks, then cancel it, to avoid the appearance of gaming the system.
I thought about that, but given this thread is 3 years old, I didn't want to give advice that may only last another month.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jb510
So, what's the best way at this point for someone in the US to earn Aeroplan miles to keep existing miles from expiring?

Carrot Rewards is long gone (and frankly last time I tired it was _way_ more work than it was worth).
I got an email from Carrot May 3rd. So did others I know...High five, you've been added to the waitlist!

The Carrot Rewards app is relaunching and we can't wait to share it with you!

Do wonder if it’ll return and be worth anything this time. Seems to be taking them a while... I’m apparently 850,000 or so in some list.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:47 am

Thanks all. I talked to Aeroplan their suggestion was to donate miles, or transfer some (to a family).

I'll probably end up donating if nothing else works.

Transferring miles costs $0.02/mi, with a 1000 minimum, which means $20 just keep my miles from expiring. I don't need/want more Aeroplan miles. I only have them because I transfered Amex points there when I closed my Amex a couple years ago. So I'm looking to keep them from expiring for least cost until I can make decent use of them.

I tried buying something though the portal and Etsy last week (something that I needed anyway), but haven't seen that credited to my Aeroplan account yet (only been a few days). I'm still skeptical if that'll work or not... it wouldn't surprise me if somewhere you have to pay in CAD for it to work.

Thanks again! I do find it surprising no one has an online store through their portal as an suggested/working option.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: HH Silver
While I haven't tried it you could buy an eBook from Aeroplan shopping partner Indigo who offers 2 Aeroplan miles for every $1 spent.

I just took a quick look and there are some best sellers eBooks for $2.99 so that may be an option. You have to provide your Aeroplan number when it transfers you over to the Indigo site so your purchase should credit but how long I'm sorry I don't know however it may may a cheap option to earn a single mile.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:47 pm
ALW

I bought something on Friday at Home Hardware for the first time in forever. Gave my AP card (the reason for being there) and I heard a beep when they scanned barcode. There's no indication of AP on the receipt though. Is that normal? If it is (and there's 1 AP coming), what's the normal time to post? I have until Jul 9 and worst case will probably redeem for a Costco GC (only 0.75c/pt or so, but not likely to use AP to fly any time soon).

Also, without digging back through the thread, there were 2 easier ways (spend $1 at Amazon through AP Store, spend $1 at eBay through AP Store), but both seem to be gone. Are those removals permanent? is there any other easy way to shop and spend a really minimal amount (I spent $2.29 at HH on something that's $1.25 at DollarTree, but figured it was worth it).

Thanks.
=aw
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ALW
I bought something on Friday at Home Hardware for the first time in forever. Gave my AP card (the reason for being there) and I heard a beep when they scanned barcode. There's no indication of AP on the receipt though. Is that normal? If it is (and there's 1 AP coming), what's the normal time to post? I have until Jul 9 and worst case will probably redeem for a Costco GC (only 0.75c/pt or so, but not likely to use AP to fly any time soon).
My recent Home Hardware transactions posted quickly, within a few days as noted here.

Don't know about whether my mile showed on the receipt or not but I didn't have the physical card and just recited the number to the clerk who entered it manually.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:24 pm
ALW

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the account.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:03 pm
ALW

Still no sign as of Jun 9 of the Aeroplan point from HH, so I'm going to assume it didn't take. Now debating whether to spend another $2 at HH, buy points, or redeem for a Petrocan or Esso $25 GC (or Costco, but that's $100 minimum I think). I know it's only just over 0.7c/AP but not sure we'll ever redeem for a flight.

Would be interested to learn from anyone who did earn at HH, whether the receipt showed AP number.

Thanks.
=aw
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ALW
Still no sign as of Jun 9 of the Aeroplan point from HH, so I'm going to assume it didn't take. Now debating whether to spend another $2 at HH, buy points, or redeem for a Petrocan or Esso $25 GC (or Costco, but that's $100 minimum I think). I know it's only just over 0.7c/AP but not sure we'll ever redeem for a flight.

Would be interested to learn from anyone who did earn at HH, whether the receipt showed AP number.

Thanks.
=aw
There's always Indigo as I mentioned upthread which could be worth a try for 3 bucks.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Those in the US (as well as Canada) can allegedly earn AE miles on UberEats. Deleted that from my inbox in the past couple of days.
https://www.aeroplan.com/estore/prodUberEats.html
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
ALW

Originally Posted by tcook052
There's always Indigo as I mentioned upthread which could be worth a try for 3 bucks.
Good point, that would be the next choice. As it happened, I needed something from HH so I went back on Sat Jun 13. Points for that purchase have posted as of 12:15am Tue Jun 16, so pretty fast. The receipt is really long, first the purchase then the MC payment then the AP earning. Not sure why it was one long receipt when the first was a separate slip for the MC charge, perhaps because I'd phoned to put it on hold. There was some confusion when they scanned the AP barcode and ended up entering the number, but that may have been because it was 2 items paid separately and the AP didn't appear until I paid for the 2nd item. Very complicated.

They did say if I didn't get the points I could come back within 30 days to get them added, and I may do that for the first 1 AP if I'm in the mall anyway (otherwise it's easier to wait to need something, and/or spend $2.99 at Indigo). That would be for our other AP account which needs activity by Nov.

Thanks again.
=aw
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Since a bunch of advice in this thread is dated in reference to either expiry policies or ways to keep points alive, I've moved the more recent posts over to the Aeroplan expiry thread to try to create a better resource there, and I'll close this one down.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.