Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Preventing Aeroplan expiry during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Skymiles, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold

My points are set to expire in June. While Aeroplan is pausing miles expiry until May 14, I should probably address this now since no one knows how long the current situation will last.

Aeroplan has also offered free cancellations, with refunds of points and fees until April 30. Has anyone booked/cancelled an award flight to reset their points expiry? I'm sure this is not the intention of their current waiver policy, but it's also not anyone's intention to have the pandemic interrupt travel plans for multiple months, with no end in sight.

The other best option I can think of is to donate 1000 points to one of the charities, but this would drop me below the 25,000 threshold for a NA flight redemption.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:01 am

askingcanadians.com
tcook052 and teryyz like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:16 pm

Perhaps see if you can buy something at Home Hardware?

https://www.homehardware.ca
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Skymiles, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pitz
askingcanadians.com
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a shot.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:45 pm

IIRC the last time I canceled a flight it did count as a transaction, based on the date the miles were redeposited. If you're going to cancel your flight anyways, do it and see what happens to your expiry date. Worst case scenario you can then do another minimal transaction with any Aeroplan partner to extend the miles, but I don't think it'll be necessary.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by spidey9999
Perhaps see if you can buy something at Home Hardware?

https://www.homehardware.ca
This is the route I go when needing to get miles or activity if an open location can be found nearby.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC50K, HHonors Gold
Lots of online retailers via Aeroplan website

Not just homehardware.ca, but also www.Costco.ca and many online retail shops including eBay via Aeroplan eStore (https://www.aeroplan.com/estore).
Adam Smith and flyquiet like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:14 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by duckdollars
Not just homehardware.ca, but also www.Costco.ca and many online retail shops including eBay via Aeroplan eStore (https://www.aeroplan.com/estore).
Costco association with AE ends April 30th

Costco.ca ending Aeroplan points
Old May 12, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
This is the route I go when needing to get miles or activity if an open location can be found nearby.
Can you comment on how long it takes the transaction to post after you buy something in-store with your card? Thx
Old May 12, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Costco association with AE ends April 30th

Costco.ca ending Aeroplan points
Buying rare and treasured commodities (e.g., toilet paper) from Costco or Amazon online also does the trick.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Steveson
Can you comment on how long it takes the transaction to post after you buy something in-store with your card? Thx
Depends on the store, but usually a few days, maybe a couple weeks, but it usually doesn't take too long. I wouldn't leave it to the last day or anything though.

With this being your first post, welcome to FT
Old May 12, 2020, 11:26 am

Within a few days which was much faster than I'd expected.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Within a few days which was much faster than I'd expected.
Excellent. I still have some time but using an online partner purchase the time frame to post is 6-8 weeks. I will find something to buy this week.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Excellent. I still have some time but using an online partner purchase the time frame to post is 6-8 weeks. I will find something to buy this week.
Mileage expiration is currently on hold until June 30th, so you do have some time. We may also see that date extended again if things stay bad.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:10 pm

Home Hardware purchases earn 1 mile for every $2 spent pre-tax so weigh your options as were you to pop-in to a store and buy something for the house for, let's say, $6 - $8 you'll only earn max.4 miles whereas if you were to buy miles using a current promo $30 nets you 1,650 miles.

If you have tons of miles and don't need any more and just need a single AP mile to keep you account active then buying something cheap at Home Hardware is one option but you could spend a little more however bank far more miles.

Good luck and yes, welcome to FT!
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.