Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring if not live in Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
No points will expire until September 30 2024.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...spended.html#/
Print Wikipost

How to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring if not live in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by Happy
No. No need for the physical card. Just tell the cashier you need to manually enter the Aeroplan number. The cashier actually told me to enter the number myself.

I did that back in May. Actually it was paid at the counter as my BIL never pays at the pump due to theft issues.

You do NOT need a physical card. You can manually enter the number on the payment keypad and it would come back as Approved - this a sign of the entry is valid. After that my BIL used his CC to pay for the gas.

It WORKED in late May. I will see if it still works first week of October.
That is how it works at Home Hardware as well.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
If you only need a one-time keep alive, PM me your aeroplan number and I will buy $3 in fuel at Esso and manually key your number into the terminal. You will earn one aeroplan and extend the expiration by a year.
What a nice thing to do.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by The smallest state
What a nice thing to do.
We are after all Canadians.

Can people out of Canada download/install/use Carrot? Those points post reasonable quickly, I mean, better than 6-8 weeks.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
We are after all Canadians.
Fully agree there. Which makes the Dragons you find on AC from time to time even more baffling.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:32 pm

has anyone used the carrot app recently to extend the expiration of Aeroplan miles?

https://www.carrotrewards.ca/en/

is it still working as it should - with miles posting within 5 business days to account?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yes, I use it regularly. Less quizzes recently, though. Miles post within a few days.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Another option, but may be targeted though:
Get anywhere from 100-1000 Aeroplan miles buy opting into receiving txt messages on your phone. Can opt out anytime. I received 100 and posted into my account the next day.

Text “join” to 27767 but be sure to add your mobile number to your Aeroplan profile first.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Yes, I use it regularly. Less quizzes recently, though. Miles post within a few days.
Same, had like one survey in the last 3 months. I keep it there but is basically worthless for points. You get 1 if you hit yours steps , and it increases if you do it every day... but then they raise your goal until it’s insanely high.

Another option, but may be targeted though:
Get anywhere from 100-1000 Aeroplan miles buy opting into receiving txt messages on your phone. Can opt out anytime. I received 100 and posted into my account the next day.

Text “join” to 27767 but be sure to add your mobile number to your Aeroplan profile first.
https://www.aeroplan.com/SMS.do
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:41 am

Thank you!

Same, had like one survey in the last 3 months. I keep it there but is basically worthless for points. You get 1 if you hit yours steps , and it increases if you do it every day... but then they raise your goal until it’s insanely high.
https://www.aeroplan.com/SMS.do
[/QUOTE]

Oh, good deal! Too bad it doesnt recognize bc apparently I need to SMS within Canada to 27767 for it to work...

Or maybe bc I SMS 2 min after I added my mobile number to Aeroplan profile? Anybody manage to get it to work by SMSing from US?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:22 pm
E_F

Programs: Delta, SPG/Marriott
No luck. I don't think it is possible for one short code to handle traffic from both the US and Canada.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I guess my last AMEX transfer and Aeroplan redemption was in Jan.2018, so ALL my Aeroplan miles expired on Jan.31. I am heartbroken. Any way I can get them back?

Happy, margarita girl and flyquiet like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:12 pm

So, what's the best way at this point for someone in the US to earn Aeroplan miles to keep existing miles from expiring?

Carrot Rewards is long gone (and frankly last time I tired it was _way_ more work than it was worth).

I personally found connecting my my infrequent rental car bookings to my Aeroplan account easiest. However, now since I can't travel that's not happening

So, I figured I'd use the shopping portal, but I can't find anyone that will ship anything I actually want to the US. And I only find that out after getting to "check out".

So! Anyone have any suggestions of stores that are a available through the shopping portal that deliver online or will ship to the us? (Note, apple seemed an obvious option, but CA denomination gift cards can only be used in CA).

Or other clever ways?
Old May 22, 2020, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Donate 1000 miles.

This might be considered gaming and be against the terms, but book a flight and cancel within 24 hours for free.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jb510
So, what's the best way at this point for someone in the US to earn Aeroplan miles to keep existing miles from expiring?
Or other clever ways?
@jb510

I assume you are just asking about the miles in your Aeroplan account expiring due to lack of any activity?

There were a couple of recent Aeroplan promos. One allowed you to buy miles and there was a bonus for the purchase. It was heavily promoted. Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

While that ended May 15, Aeroplan does allow you to buy some miles. May not be the most cost efficient way to do it comapred to a purchase or car rental, but at least it will post activity to your account.

There was this thread as well Preventing Aeroplan expiry during COVID-19 where I posted

Originally Posted by 24left
I just extended the Aeroplan accounts of a couple of family members who are not FFs.

They had been using Esso for years and like many others, when that partnership disappeared, there really weren't any others that suited them including purchases of toasters from Aeroplan. For one of them, a purchase for Home Hardware worked well. However, the easiest thing was to buy 1000 miles (getting the 65% bonus) for $30 plus tax. Miles posted immediately and new expiry date appeared as well.

And here is the link to Aeroplan if you want to buy miles:

https://www.aeroplan.com/buy-gift-miles.do#/

Along with @canadiancow's suggestion of donating miles, this is another one.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Donate 1000 miles.

This might be considered gaming and be against the terms, but book a flight and cancel within 24 hours for free.
With the free cancellation policy in place, one could even book a flight, wait a couple of weeks, then cancel it, to avoid the appearance of gaming the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.