Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring if not live in Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
No points will expire until September 30 2024.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...spended.html#/
Print Wikipost

How to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring if not live in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I regularly do US based surveys in Canada without issues. I would expect the same askingcanadians.. it doesn't hurt to try. Points do take some time to get posted though, so best not to wait for the last minute. They release a few each week and the more you do, the more they send. They vary from 25-100 Aeroplan points or 5 if you don't qualify. They always get posted to my account.

If geo located, you could always use a VPN, but that's a lot of effort for a few points.

Just options though.
Thank you so much for the info. Will bookmark this thread for future reference on various means to extend the life of Aeroplan miles.

One thing I am surprised though, after enrolling I have not received any email to confirm / congrat for the new sign up. Kind of strange. I wonder do I ever get a mailed package containing program info and membership card?

Also the log in process is weird too - use the log in at the top left corner of Aeroplan home page (after choosing the language), the log in box simply greyed out but never gave me the account screen for an unusual long time. I decided to just click Overview - and it pulled up my account as logged in - but there was NO telling from the home page that the log in was successful!

Also I just realize that you can only add 3? Travel Companions to your account - what if people traveling with an extended family? They need to break up their reservations?!

There are a lot of things to learn and to get use to. The saving of miles versus UA's program on the EU route is worth the efforts though.

Again a big thanks to everyone who cares to post. Really appreciate it! Will be in Toronto late May and then will try the Esso trick.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:19 am

Sorry for the hijack and mispost but I figure this is the most knowledgeable audience.

Similarly to OP, any idea on how to remotely extend the expiry of Porter points?

Cheers
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Finally got a "Welcome" email from Aeroplan 2 days after enrollment!

It is no joke why there is a thread on how the Aeroplan site is poorly operated.

It took 2 full days before a "Welcome" email from Aeroplan to tell me to set up Call Center PIN / Set Goal of Travel.

Other FFPs would send you the Congrats emails almost immediately after enrollment. (recent experiences from EY, NH & SQ).

Finger crossed that the AMEX transfer I plan to do next week would show up in my Aeroplan in a timely manner.

Anybody knows how long it takes AMEX transfer to show up? Is it instantly or takes a few days? I dont need them but I do want to see them in my account timely.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Anybody knows how long it takes AMEX transfer to show up? Is it instantly or takes a few days? I dont need them but I do want to see them in my account timely.
The points will be credited on the same day usually within a hour maybe even sooner.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
When I had an Amex gold or Platinum and transferred points, they were in my aeroplan account pretty much immediately after the transfer.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Would anyone be willing to transfer 1000 miles into my account, please? I have 100,000 miles that are going to expire on August 7th and I will gladly Paypal the $20CDN fee for the transfer. Thank you so much.

Never mind, thanks. I am just going to book a flight with miles.

Last edited by greg0ire; Aug 3, 2017 at 10:25 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Would anyone be willing to transfer 1000 miles into my account, please? I have 100,000 miles that are going to expire on August 7th and I will gladly Paypal the $20CDN fee for the transfer. Thank you so much.

Never mind, thanks. I am just going to book a flight with miles.
If you haven't already made your flight booking...

Of the comments in this thread so far, your best bet, as someone outside the US, is to do the Aeroplan e-store Kobo offer. Buy an e-book, cheap.
https://www.aeroplan.com/estore/book.../prodkobo.html

Or, PM me your Aeroplan number and I'll buy a few bucks in gas at an Esso location today.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
If you haven't already made your flight booking...

Of the comments in this thread so far, your best bet, as someone outside the US, is to do the Aeroplan e-store Kobo offer. Buy an e-book, cheap.
https://www.aeroplan.com/estore/book.../prodkobo.html

Or, PM me your Aeroplan number and I'll buy a few bucks in gas at an Esso location today.
I appreciate the info and offer. I did just book the flight. I tried the Kobo site, but it looks like it won't post for 6-8 weeks anyhow. Tried to have my sis-in-law do the Esso fill up in Montreal, but she said she wasn't able to.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
How does one fill up with gas using someone elses number? I'm always told to swipe the card then get funny looks if it's not tangerine coloured.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
How does one fill up with gas using someone elses number? I'm always told to swipe the card then get funny looks if it's not tangerine coloured.
That was issue this morning I believe
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
At least in the past it was possible to just provide the AE# and the cashier would manually enter it into the system.

No idea whether that's still possible or whether it's another YMMV.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
At least in the past it was possible to just provide the AE# and the cashier would manually enter it into the system.

No idea whether that's still possible or whether it's another YMMV.
Hmmm. Would make sense given it can take a while to get the card in the first place though. But it wouldn't surprise me if this lead to "I work at the gas station you are wrong" comments

I'll try it if I remember.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
If you pay at the pump, you can manually enter any Aeroplan number.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No. No need for the physical card. Just tell the cashier you need to manually enter the Aeroplan number. The cashier actually told me to enter the number myself.

I did that back in May. Actually it was paid at the counter as my BIL never pays at the pump due to theft issues.

You do NOT need a physical card. You can manually enter the number on the payment keypad and it would come back as Approved - this a sign of the entry is valid. After that my BIL used his CC to pay for the gas.

It WORKED in late May. I will see if it still works first week of October.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 3, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Take this survey at Aeroplan website.
Earn 100 Aeroplan miles.
May take 6-8 weeks for miles to post.

https://www.aeroplan.com/opinion.do?currentLanguage=en

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.