Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:35 am
At Large
Original Poster

Star Alliance to expand

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...3-5B6FD03C8BBE
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:25 am

Programs: several
Maybe Emirates, Virgin Blue, and Air India?
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:33 am

Hasn't LH signed a codeshare agreement with Air China? That would seem to be a logical choice.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:26 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I only wish that any expansion would bring better terms for upgrades over the present only "metal" policy. If I am a *G with one carrier, why cannot others treat me the same? Otherwise there is little real benefit in these arrangements for me other than collecting points for being stuck in a middle seat in a very uncomofortable position.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:19 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Then how would you feel if you booked your flights 1 day in advance, then you find out all the upgrade seats have been taken over by pax holding top tier status on another *A carrier? You end up being the only SE on the flight but still can't get the upgrade.

It's all about taking care of your own members first.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:24 pm

I would like to see KLM as part of star alliance. Is it possible or I am dreaming?
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:28 pm

Air China is more likely to be the Chinese membership in Star.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
It's unlikely Air China and KLM will join Star Alliance anytime soon. Both carriers are in an alliance with Northwest Airlines.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
I only wish that any expansion would bring better terms for upgrades over the present only "metal" policy. If I am a *G with one carrier, why cannot others treat me the same?</font>
The new UA SWU's can be used on LH in certain situations, but only after all LH FFs using LH miles and certs to upgrade have been accomodated. From what I hear that means virtually never (ex-US at least).

It's a start...
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA, IB, FB
Emirates should be the best option as they are already partners of the Star Alliance.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 1:53 pm

It's unlikely Air China and KLM will join Star Alliance anytime soon. Both carriers are in an alliance with Northwest Airlines.

Air China no longer code-shares with NW because they are upset with NW's decision to drop US-China non-stop. Air China decided not to renew the code-share agreement with NW.

Officialy, NW will terminate the code-share agreement with Air China on June 30.

Old Mar 15, 2003, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E
Some of the carriers which has talked about joining STAR in the near future are, SA from Africa, CA for China, and likely a carrier from the middle east.

GF is trying very hard to join STAR. Infact accountants have audited GF recently. QR has strong ties with LH. EK has been saying publically that they are not interested in any alliance.

In Australia, STAR is hoping to fill the gap left by Ansett. There has been some talk of SQ starting an airline in Australia. But it seems that is now in the back burner. There was even talk about QF being a potential target for STAR to pursue... QF in STAR???? Nah....... Too much ties between BA and QF.... But things could happen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.