Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Invol Reroute on UA, eligible for AC miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 4:59 pm
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM

I was travelling on UA from JFK-NRT-HKG, however, UA rerouted me to JL on the NRT-HKG segment because the inbound flight JFK-NRT was delayed by 6 hours.

Would AC credit me the 1831 miles since I was ticketed on UA and the rerouting was involuntary? I need this 1831 miles to qualify for Elite Status.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:10 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Yes, you should be able to receive AE miles for that segment.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you are involuntarily re-routed, downgraded or upgraded, the miles you earn are based on the original ticket and fare you paid.</font>
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a case like this, would you also be eligible for miles on the airline you flew on? (You may not be, but could you get away with claiming the mileage?)
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:41 pm

You could if you can get them to add your other airline's FF number to the BP. Sending it in afterwards to the airline that you ended up flying won't work because you don't have the ticket that shows you flew on them as you were booked on it last minute by the original airline.

Of course this is not advisable. I can tell you there are ways that an airline will check on this before giving you miles. (The most obvious one is your FF # will be on your BP)
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:50 pm

Hmm...

I had always thought if you were routed on a UA ticket to a non-Star carrier, you could not claim Aeroplan miles (you could write UA Mileage Plus for MP credit, but not Aeroplan).

On the other hand, I know you can claim miles on the airline rerouted on to. For example, I was supposed to fly SEA-BA-LHR, BA ended up rerouting me (with a FIM) SEA-AS-YVR, YVR-BA-LHR. I forgot to put my AA number on the SEA-YVR segment, sent it into AA, and got the AA miles for the AS segment.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I tend to agree with keithguy on this one, getting UA Mileage Plus to post miles to one of their accounts would be a no brainer, however, I can't see the "Aeroplan Elite Centre" coming through on this one for you, altough, I would love be to be incorrect on this.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:40 am
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Oh well I wrote AC a nicely worded letter stating that I was being Invol Rerouted, and i am 1331 miles short of being Elite this year (I've been an CP Gold then AC Elite convert for 5 yrs). The NRT-HKG trip is 18xx miles, which would have covered the difference. The remainder of the segments (JFK-NRT, HKG-NRT-JFK) were properly posted to AC.

If they do not reinstate the miles I'll bring it up to Customer Service and hope they can comp me AC*E status as "customer goodwill" (does this still exist on AC?)

Side note on why I was INVOL upgraded: The plane outbound from JFK-NRT had an equipment failure at ORD when it was coming in and need parts replaced. Somehow, UA thought that it was too expensive to buy the part from the maintenance company, so they decided to fly in the part, from UA's inventory, from the middle of nowhere and let us wait for 6 hours.

At NRT they completely ignored the *A standby rules, since there was only 3 seats left on the last NRT-HKG JL flight, priority should have been given to me and two other J-class Pax, whom were senior citizens. Instead they gave them to some college kids on a V Class fare (I was H-class).

Conclusion: To Hell with UA.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ssw207:

If they do not reinstate the miles I'll bring it up to Customer Service and hope they can comp me AC*E status as "customer goodwill" (does this still exist on AC?)

</font>
The predicted response is that what you have is a UA issue, not an AC issue and most certainly not an Aeroplan issue. Just speaking from past experience with how things are handled (albeit not in the circumstances you have outlined)
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:46 pm
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Altaflyer: Yes I totally understand its UA's issue, but it doesn't hurt to write to AC asking if they can comp me back to AC*E.

The point is I have actually ticketed on a *A partner airline and actually fulfilled my side of the requirements (an UA boarding pass for NRT-HKG was actually issued to me, and I fought for my life to retain it, since I knew this will come up, but the &@#$ UA agent threatened me and he took it back), is it my fault when they decide to put me on something else? Put yourself in my shoes and you'll know how I feel.

Shouldn't AC be able to credit the miles and claim that back from UA? This is completely valid since I have documentary proof showing the INVOL had happened. AC shouldn't care how they have rerouted me and just put a claim to UA for the actual miles I had ticketed. Nothing is lost revenue-wise on AC/Aeroplan's books.

If I don't get the comp, fine I won't blame AC, but I'll definitely fire off a letter to UA, cc'ed to AC, and the Star Alliance corporates.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:56 pm

I think you'll get the miles alright.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:04 am
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Latest update, AC gave me the miles & Elite status!

Received a call from Aeroplan a week ago and they assured me, as long as it was an INVOL REROUTE and the ticket was issued by a *A carrier, Aeroplan will not care what carrier you have been rerouted to, and they will post the points eligible for your original flight.

Great news for all of us!

Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news indeed. Also good to file info in case of need.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:15 pm

Told you.

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.