Wiki Posts
Search

Martinair to YEG???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Martinair to YEG???

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-dec...-A-2003_e.html

-so what exactly are they saying here?????
Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:45 am

Seems to me that Martinair has the choice of providing scheduled services from 2 of the following cities: Halifax, Montral, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and now Edmonton.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:39 am

I believe Martinair is one of the airlines @ YYZ considered to be serving the YYZ-AMS and AMS-YYZ along with KLM(daily flight) and Air Canada(no flights I have seen)
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:46 am

Martinair equipment quite often operates YVR-AMS with KLM call sign. I've known a few people who have been dissapointed to find they were travelling on a charter carrier when they bought a ticket on a scheduled airline.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This evil national airline of ours is now sabotaging other airlines from properly serving YEG - simply unbelievable. I will make sure to send this link to the Edmonton Journal - perhaps it will generate some press coverage for Air Canada. Here are some excerpts:

"Air Canada provides a breakdown of capacity by carrier for services between Canada and the Netherlands. Air Canada indicates that, if the extra-bilateral request were granted, the Dutch carriers, namely KLM and Martinair will operate 80 percent of the capacity between Canada and the Netherlands. Air Canada believes that the Dutch carriers already derive significant benefits under the existing Agreement and additional extra-bilateral capacity should be denied.

Air Canada also indicates that several air carriers are feeling the effects of difficult economic times. As Air Canada relies on traffic feed to/from its network to ensure the economic viability of its Toronto-Amsterdam service, the problem will be exacerbated if Martinair were to obtain authority to operate flights not permitted under the Agreement"

Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Back in the day, didn't CP Air fly YEG-AMS?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
Back in the day, didn't CP Air fly YEG-AMS?</font>
If they did it was before my time. CP and AC used to both fly YEG-LHR though.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Shortly after 9/11, Martinair replaced KLM equipment for the slower period of travel on YVR-AMS as mentioned above. I know that pax were not at all impressed that they booked with a 'major carrier' and ended up on an older charter aircraft. KLM has restored the mainline service to YVR, however, KLM may be interested in restoring seasonal service on YYC-AMS due to high summer demand.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A while back, I flew Martinair YOW-AMS on a KLM codeshare. There was a stopover in YHZ. I remember the lobster being loaded for Europe!

I was not impressed with the pitch and I can't remember the aircraft type.

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:27 pm

Yes CP flew YEG-AMS in the early 80s and probably before that. Equipment was DC10 or B742.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PointWeasel:
Shortly after 9/11, Martinair replaced KLM equipment for the slower period of travel on YVR-AMS as mentioned above. I know that pax were not at all impressed that they booked with a 'major carrier' and ended up on an older charter aircraft. KLM has restored the mainline service to YVR, however, KLM may be interested in restoring seasonal service on YYC-AMS due to high summer demand.</font>
Martinair had scheduled service to YYC last summer.

Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:58 pm

Martinair also had charter service to AMS from YEG last summer. IIRC, however, it was only bookable through Butte Travel Service.

Furthermore, before KLM flew out of YYC, wasn't the service run out of YEG?

Canada 3000 is also now out of the market and they used to do AMS turns from YYC.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbus320:
A while back, I flew Martinair YOW-AMS on a KLM codeshare. There was a stopover in YHZ. I remember the lobster being loaded for Europe!</font>
I know that in the early to mid/late 1990s, KL actually operated its own 742 on the route. I was not aware, however, that Martinair did some of the work as well...
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by makin'miles:
Martinair also had charter service to AMS from YEG last summer. IIRC, however, it was only bookable through Butte Travel Service.

Furthermore, before KLM flew out of YYC, wasn't the service run out of YEG?

Canada 3000 is also now out of the market and they used to do AMS turns from YYC.

</font>
No, KLM hasn't to my knowledge flown out of YEG. The YYC run was around in early 90's as I took it twice in two years around 92-93. And, no the Martinair product has never been available only through once travel agency as it's been booked in last umpteen years via Sunquest West tour company or in the airline CRS directly.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification tcook. I have a good friend whose mother is a travel agent and she told me that they were not able to book the Martinair charters ex-YEG last summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.