Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ffsim

Not disagreeing with you, but I’m happy he did because of the awesome answer @Seat13F_AC_CRJ provided to my inquiry
Aw shucks!
--
13F
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffsim

Not disagreeing with you, but I’m happy he did because of the awesome answer @Seat13F_AC_CRJ provided to my inquiry
I also read somewhere that someone did manage to get two passports but only one can be active at any time. So one can have the Israeli visa (which I thought was a paper attach anyway) and the others could have Arab countries for example. So if I remember correctly he would return one to Passport Canada and use the other. Now this is all based on my perhaps faulty recollection so at your own risk.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by airoli
I have been wondering about this, and a few weeks ago at YUL pre-clearance, I just put my Nexus card on the passport reader of the US Global Entry machine.... and it worked!

Still carrying my passport anyways but I guess that technically, I could have done without it - showed the border agent only my Nexus card with the printout from the machine.
Yes, I know the Nexus card works in the Global Entry machines. However there was a explicit statement from US CBP that only passports should be used in the machines. I would rather not risk their wrath as they can be difficult so I use the passport. If this has officially changed to allow the Nexus card to be used in the GE machine perhaps someone can post the link ?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by vernonc
Yes, I know the Nexus card works in the Global Entry machines. However there was a explicit statement from US CBP that only passports should be used in the machines. I would rather not risk their wrath as they can be difficult so I use the passport. If this has officially changed to allow the Nexus card to be used in the GE machine perhaps someone can post the link ?
YMMV. My Nexus card was accepted in GE machines in YUL and YYZ recently, but not in EWR. I had to use my passport in EWR instead.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazydre
Lots of misinformation here. Airlines or check-in companies have no say whatsoever in anything - they're meant to go by what Timatic says, because that's what it's there for.

All conformists on here with the "just bring the passport for the convenience of idiot agents" mindset are the exact reason why these agents will never learn.
Then hand over your passport, along with a "for the record, as an A citizen with B status, C is sufficient documentation to go to country D."

I was asked for my US Permanent Resident card by NH agents in SYD to transit through SFO, after handing over my Canadian passport.

I could have argued, called a supervisor, but I didn't have it in me, so I gave her my green card, along with explaining "as a Canadian citizen, I do not need a green card or visa to enter the United States". Did she listen? Will she learn? I don't know. But it got me to the lounge faster.

And I'm the first person to argue with wrong airport agents when it benefits me.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, those are people offering practical advice. Some of us are busy people travelling on tight schedules who would rather not have to spend time arguing with/educating MOLAs at the airport.
Exactly. Like I don't think the 14 year old UM is at fault for getting stranded overnight in YYZ. But I also think that it could have been avoided VERY easily by proactively stating "I'm an unaccompanied minor" before/while getting IDBd.

Practical advice makes your life easier, even if it shouldn't be necessary.

I've been told explicitly by CBP not to use my NEXUS card, but never "only passports". My current instructions are "only use your green card".
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I was one who posted that the Eagle Badge Man gave me a furious reprimand for using my card in the machine (evidently he could tell which document was used). I asked if it was new requirement and he said "no, it has always been that way", and I said to myself "all righty, then, he works at the airport, after all." Grasping for rationales, he pointed at my TN and said that was the reason. But the preclearance GE machines spit out the I94 after the photo page, so you don't need anything else. I let him rant and carried on, and have continued to use my card on each and every subsequent occasion with no further adverse experiences.

The authoritative reference on this matter is this:
https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/can-i-use-m...al-entry-kiosk
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:59 pm

I think @Adam Smith is correct with real world advice for air travel.
I do not seem to have any problems anymore using Nexus only from US to Canada other than some smaller stations. In fact UA seems to demand a passport more often. In all cases I have my passport anyway specially since I need it for the Global Entry machines leaving Canada to US.
International to Canada is a whole new discussion as several countries track only passport and visa for entry and exit. They do not care what your home country accepts, they need a passport. Examples in my recent travel include India and Taiwan and they both track you with fingerprint and exit stamps.
I had to explain to local Singaporeans that it is weird for me to require passport control to leave a country. In Canada we just leave. Either drive out, boat out or fly out.

Singaporean: "but what if you skip your national service? (Required military duties)?"
Me: "we don't do that"
Singaporean "what if you don't pay your income tax?" (we only pay at end of year here)
Me: "we take the tax from the source, and at the year you can apply for a refund if you overpaid"
Etc...
​​​​
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I was one who posted that the Eagle Badge Man gave me a furious reprimand for using my card in the machine (evidently he could tell which document was used). I asked if it was new requirement and he said "no, it has always been that way", and I said to myself "all righty, then, he works at the airport, after all." Grasping for rationales, he pointed at my TN and said that was the reason. But the preclearance GE machines spit out the I94 after the photo page, so you don't need anything else. I let him rant and carried on, and have continued to use my card on each and every subsequent occasion with no further adverse experiences.

Perfect thanks. Now I know I can officially use my Nexus cards in the Global Entry machines 'at Canadian Preclearance Machines only. So while I will always carry my passport, I do not have to dig it out for travel to and from the US. Unless off course GAs insist :-)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I also read somewhere that someone did manage to get two passports but only one can be active at any time. So one can have the Israeli visa (which I thought was a paper attach anyway) and the others could have Arab countries for example. So if I remember correctly he would return one to Passport Canada and use the other. Now this is all based on my perhaps faulty recollection so at your own risk.
Not correct. You may have two valid passports and have them both in your possession at the same time.
--
13F
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Thanks for this link. Last month, I entered US pre-clearance at YVR using only my NEXUS card and an expired Cdn passport with holes punched in it. The officer waved me through with a "technically, you're not supposed to..." remark which, it appears from your source, may not have been entirely accurate. I had a second (non-Cdn) passport in my pocket, but using it would have created a bit more delay than simply presenting my NEXUS card and explaining my passport was in the process of being renewed. I don't know what Badenoch looks like, and was fearing his fuming presence behind me, even though I was on my time, and there were at least five other agents he could choose.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I had to explain to local Singaporeans that it is weird for me to require passport control to leave a country. In Canada we just leave. Either drive out, boat out or fly out.​​​​
It seems to me that many, many more countries have exit checks than not - in fact Canada and the US are the main ones that, in my experience, do not.

With respect to passports, it has always been my experience with AC that they will want to verify your passport at some point before you board for a flight from outside Canada, but will accept Nexus as ID for boarding itself. My only complication has been leaving a country that does do checks on one of that country's passports but wanting to enter Canada on a Canadian passport - the AC system can't handle it, but they are accustomed to the work around (eg Australia).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Yes, I know the Nexus card works in the Global Entry machines.
According to Timatic, NEXUS Cards work in GE machines except specifically for Canadians at US Airports (as opposed to preclearance)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I had to explain to local Singaporeans that it is weird for me to require passport control to leave a country. In Canada we just leave. Either drive out, boat out or fly out.
​​​​
Out in the world, you generally face entry and Exit checks. It's only the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada and Bahamas, plus Mexico by air, that don't do Exit checks.

Many countries like the Philippines also heavily control their own citizens leaving the country. It's common for Filipinos, especially first-time travellers, to be refused Exit because of Immigration not being satisfied about what they'll do abroad (!!!)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Had a weird incident at YYZ T3 a few months ago arriving from KEF. CBSA was checking passports at the end of the jet bridge. Offered my NEXUS card and was told no, I must present a passport.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Had a weird incident at YYZ T3 a few months ago arriving from KEF. CBSA was checking passports at the end of the jet bridge. Offered my NEXUS card and was told no, I must present a passport.
Well NEXUS technically isn't valid other than if flying from the US. Still weird, as Canadians do enter Canada by right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.