Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by WR Cage
If we bow to the lowest common denominator of airline employee intelligence or desire to do their job appropriately; then how do you expect to ever partake in the extra conveniences afforded by the governmental regulatory systems? Rhetorically, how about elite perks (a topic for another thread)?
Precisely, and very well put. It's important to remain calm, polite and respectful at all times when challenging incorrect officialdom. Acquiescing to misinformed staff is allowing yourself to become another member of the sheeple herd. Not for me, thank you. Gentle pushback is ironically sometimes the path of least resistance, using a long term traveling perspective.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by keitherson
What does AC say they allow?

hmm.

https://res.aircanada.ca/APIS/

https://beta.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...documents.html

hmmm

who cares about rules though
Exactly. I don't care what the rules are if it's going to waste an hour of my time due to:

1. Agent knowledge (or lack thereof)
or 2. System limitations

If your goal is to say "look at me I'm right", then fine, tell everyone to just bring your NEXUS card.

If your goal is to help people have a painless travel experience, then a passport is going to be necessary.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Exactly. I don't care what the rules are if it's going to waste an hour of my time due to:

1. Agent knowledge (or lack thereof)
or 2. System limitations

If your goal is to say "look at me I'm right", then fine, tell everyone to just bring your NEXUS card.

If your goal is to help people have a painless travel experience, then a passport is going to be necessary.
My goal is to answer the OP, which you phrased as "the thread title is about what AC allows".

And I answered the question.

Whereas a lot of the replies in this thread have not.

And a SE 100K saying they don't care about airline rules? That's humorous. Half the threads in this subforum are about people complaining about changes to "rules".

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Precisely, and very well put. It's important to remain calm, polite and respectful at all times when challenging incorrect officialdom. Acquiescing to misinformed staff is allowing yourself to become another member of the sheeple herd. Not for me, thank you. Gentle pushback is ironically sometimes the path of least resistance, using a long term traveling perspective.
Because a lot of people think that NEXUS is just another airline elite card: nice to flash around and skip queues, but not a real piece of ID. It's a real bizarre attitude.

I have never in this thread suggested people travel without their passport. If you had a choice between carrying your passport and not, you would obviously carry your passport. That's like asking whether you would rather sit in economy vs business class. But this thread is not about that.

It's about whether it's legal and possible to travel without your passport (the answer is yes), not whether it's recommended.

Some posters seem to struggle with these distinctions and like to really pass on normative judgments despite everyone having different circumstances.

Originally Posted by WR Cage
If your passport expires, the CBSA or USCBP agents will immediately know about the situation.

Just over 4 years ago my passport expired but not Nexus card. When I got the passport I entered the new information into GOES. Next trip i got an expired document notification on the USCBP agent screen. Looking at the screen I could see that both my new and old passports were in their system. The USCBP officer deleted the old passport and the situation was resolved. Same experience on the return with CBSA.
This is normal practice. When you get a new passport, you are supposed to drop by a CBSA office for them to update Global Entry on your new passport as well as sync it to your NEXUS.

If you update it on GOES, they still have to verify it. (e.g. that the information you inputted online is actually correct)

The problem is when people get a new passport, don't tell either CBSA or CBP, and then use expedited entry lanes without having updated any information. That's a no-no.

At least they don't charge money to update information like the UK Registered Traveler program does, though.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:06 pm Reason: merge multiple posts; off topic
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I always travel with my passport, even between the US and Canada, and I don't see a reason not to. I did once forget my passport in a jacket pocket and didn't realize I was without it until checking a bag at YYZ, where the agent was unsure but let me go ahead. All went fine.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't ( wasn't) one of the conditions of using Nexus that
you must also have your passport with you?
That is absolutely incorrect.

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The last 2 posts are not correct. A passport is not required for Can-USA-Can travel, air or land if one has a valid Nexus card. Having said that, I do always carry my Passport on air trips just in case of misinformed AIRLINE personnel.

Carrying a Passport was initially required but not anymore.
And that requirement has actually been gone for some time.

Originally Posted by nautica_t
source: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information

NEXUS members now have crossing privileges at any air, land, and marine ports of entry. Under theWestern Hemisphere Travel Initiative(WHTI), the NEXUS card has been approved as an alternative to the passport for air travel into the United States for U.S. and Canadian citizens.

Maybe its just entry for USA not Canada. Trying to find for Canada entry.
Canada is the same as the US

Originally Posted by hydrogen
GE machines in Canadian airports accept Nexus cards. Every time I've been asked for a passport in addition to Nexus (CBP/CBSA/etc.), I've just assumed that the staff were too lazy to pull the info from the Nexus card...
Actually, I've even used GE machines with my NEXUS card at US airports.

And for kicks: the US Global Entry machines are set up to know not to accept NEXUS if you are entering the US from a non-Canadian Port of Entry.

For example, if you scan your NEXUS in the GE machines at YVR Preclearance, there's no problem. But if you scan your NEXUS card at the GE machine at say, IAH, it will tell you that your travel document is not valid for this itinerary and to use a different document. (i.e. Passport)
Actually, I've only had a GE kiosk reject my NEXUS card once - at SAN. Otherwise, I've had it accepted at SFO, MIA, JFK, EWR and LAX.

Originally Posted by expert7700
I thought the US Global Entry machines would only read passports, but this thread has me curious if it would recognize a nexus card.

During EYW, my experience was that if I use my nexus in the 'known traveler#' field, then AC's system would not accept the same Nexus # as the official travel document. So I then tested a YTZ-YUL-LGA and purposely did not enter a KTN and the system lets me use my nexus # as the travel doc.

I have been on calls where the I could tell the Concierge only asks my Nexus # then seems to have delays checking me in. Now I just explain the above and have them use my passport as the travel doc.
GE machines in Canadian pre-clearance ports accept NEXUS cards 100% of the time. Most at US airports do too, at least in my experience.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My goal is to answer the OP, which you phrased as "the thread title is about what AC allows".

And I answered the question.

Whereas a lot of the replies in this thread have not.

And a SE 100K saying they don't care about airline rules? That's humorous. Half the threads in this subforum are about people complaining about changes to "rules". IKK, anyone? AQD?
Which question were you answering? The first one asked was "Any similar recent experiences with AC?" There are a lot. Advice to avoid a hassle is much more valuable than pointing out that it's technically allowed so don't bother carrying your passport. The hassle of carrying your passport is significantly less than the hassle of educating an agent or trying to work around a DCS limitation. If DCS won't accept your NEXUS card (and I've had this issue), you're going to be denied boarding because you don't meet the documentation requirements required by the system.

That's not true for many rules. The hassle of being denied a benefit is generally MUCH higher than pulling up a website for the agent.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Which question were you answering?
The thread title: "AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?"
That's not true for many rules. The hassle of being denied a benefit is generally MUCH higher than pulling up a website for the agent.
Is using your NEXUS not a "benefit"?

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 10, 2017 at 6:51 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note some edits and post deletions have been made as this thread isn't about IKK or another FTer so let's go back to the thread topic if we can.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:53 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
FWIW, for the last 12 months, I've been using my NEXUS card for US domestic flights (BTV, EWR, MHT, IAH and ALB), and that was accepted/recognized as my only ID 100% of the time. (Pls note those were domestic flts, not crossborder itineraries).

Disclaimer: I still carry my passport (when I get to find it...)

--------------------------------------------

On a side note, due to current ineffective Canada Customs staffing at Canadian airports (well YUL in my case), I often find it faster to just drive to BTV for some US flying. CBSA is not really helping Canadian airports staying competitive...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YUL
FWIW, for the last 12 months, I've been using my NEXUS card for US domestic flights (BTV, EWR, MHT, IAH and ALB), and that was accepted/recognized as my only ID 100% of the time. (Pls note those were domestic flts, not crossborder itineraries).

Disclaimer: I still carry my passport (when I get to find it...)

--------------------------------------------

On a side note, due to current ineffective Canada Customs staffing at Canadian airports (well YUL in my case), I often find it faster to just drive to BTV for some US flying. CBSA is not really helping Canadian airports staying competitive...
TSA recognizes NEXUS for use as a piece of ID for domestic flights, just the same as they would accept your Canadian driver's licence. In this case it's just being used as an ID and the fact that it happens to also be an international travel document is purely coincidental.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:28 pm

Okay, question.
I don't travel to the USA often, maybe once or possibly twice a year. I got NEXUS 8 years ago or so just so my partner and I didn't have to deal with cranky American custom agents who gave us a hard time because we were gay.

When I go to America, I'm pretty sure the machine makes me put my passport into the machine to scan it when I leave from YHZ. So I figured I always needed my passport.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Okay, question.
I don't travel to the USA often, maybe once or possibly twice a year. I got NEXUS 8 years ago or so just so my partner and I didn't have to deal with cranky American custom agents who gave us a hard time because we were gay.

When I go to America, I'm pretty sure the machine makes me put my passport into the machine to scan it when I leave from YHZ. So I figured I always needed my passport.
You can scan your nexus instead of your passport for the machines.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:14 pm Reason: way off topic
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
When in doubt on any of this - have your handy TIMATIC printout ready and ask the agent to confirm. . .

Here is what I get.

Information as of 12JAN17 / 1116 UTC
National Canada (CA) /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination Canada (CA)
Canada (CA)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to
nationals of Canada must be valid on arrival.
- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any
destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or
is required by the
US immigration authorities.
Passport Exemptions:
- Nationals of Canada with a NEXUS Card if residing in Canada
or USA embarking in USA or Canada and entering Canada from
the USA only.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Here is what I get..
Please stop providing factual information, as it's evident that 15-month old singular anecdotal experience carries more weight on FlyerTalk. Besides, possessing such facts may deny some members the opportunity for another airport confrontation and subsequent thread topic.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
If you expect a hassle at the airport, bring a printout and hand it to the airline staffer.

If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

NEXUS members can use the automated kiosks located in the U.S. Preclearance area and the Canadian inspection services area at participating airports.
I believe it is just easier to bring both documents and present the passport, if requested.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Wow, I can't believe I just spent an half an hour reading all of these posts!

When I checked-in at BOS the other day the agent asked for my passport. I said "will NEXUS do?". Her response was that yes, it would, but she would have to enter the info manually, but she can just scan the passport, which is quicker and easier. Fine by me.

When I enter the require APIS info I use my passport info, but also list my "KTN". I am rightly or wrongly assuming that I need to entire my Nexus number in the KTN field in order to get "TSA Pre" on my boarding pass. I suspect that the AC agent will insist on seeing whatever document you entered into the APIS.

I always use passport in GE preclearance machines, since CBP always asks for it anyway when I give them my slip, and just Nexus in the machines when coming back to Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.