FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1813893-ac-no-longer-allowing-nexus-sole-basis-enter-canada.html)

keitherson Jan 9, 2017 10:55 am

And for kicks: the US Global Entry machines are set up to know not to accept NEXUS if you are entering the US from a non-Canadian Port of Entry.

For example, if you scan your NEXUS in the GE machines at YVR Preclearance, there's no problem. But if you scan your NEXUS card at the GE machine at say, IAH, it will tell you that your travel document is not valid for this itinerary and to use a different document. (i.e. Passport)

BlueMilk Jan 9, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 27731535)
It's certainly more hassle if you find a misinformed agent, but you are well within your rights to do so.

I have flown using NEXUS only many times.

Yeah, but the legal right to enter the US or Canada (under customs and immigration rules), is not the same as having a right to fly on a particular airline at a particular time.

Note that border services can, by scanning your Nexus card, know that you have a valid passport and the associated travel rights. That they may not care to see it doesn't mean it hasn't been examined.

Because passport and Nexus expiry dates can be mismatched, examining the card alone, as airlines do, does not prove you have a valid passport.

When departing Canada, there's no risk to the airline, because you'll be refused entry to the US before boarding.

Departing the US, if you get turned around, the airline pays. I wouldn't expect (nor want) US airline agents to assess my right to enter my destination. If I can't produce a passport and get turned away, that's on me.

keitherson Jan 9, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 27731592)
Yeah, but the legal right to enter the US or Canada (under customs and immigration rules), is not the same as having a right to fly on a particular airline at a particular time.

Note that border services can, by scanning your Nexus card, know that you have a valid passport and the associated travel rights. That they may not care to see it doesn't mean it hasn't been examined.

Because passport and Nexus expiry dates can be mismatched, examining the card alone, as airlines do, does not prove you have a valid passport.

When departing Canada, there's no risk to the airline, because you'll be refused entry to the US before boarding.

Departing the US, if you get turned around, the airline pays. I wouldn't expect (nor want) US airline agents to assess my right to enter my destination. If I can't produce a passport and get turned away, that's on me.

The NEXUS is a valid form of entry regardless of the validity of your passport. You can get a NEXUS without a passport. The two are only linked for purposes of using Global Entry on your passport.

NEXUS also expires at a different time than your passport.

Airlines can also deny you boarding for a plethora of reasons. That doesn't make them correct. And as Porter demonstrated, wrongfully denying boarding usually ends up with them paying compensation or refunding the ticket.

CZAMFlyer Jan 9, 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by echino (Post 27731404)
Passports required by CBSA at YVR when flying from USA.

Again, this is not true. Your experience does not match the stated regulation.

Originally Posted by BlueMilk

You're correct in that it doesn't prove the validity of your passport. But as ketherson has mentioned repeatedly, a valid NEXUS card alone is adequate documentation for traveling between the US & Canada by land, sea or air.

canadiancow Jan 9, 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life (Post 27728651)
I flew back from PHX yesterday. I had my passport with me but I never presented it and nobody mentioned it. Basically, I just traveled on my NEXUS card.

That's my experience on every US to Canada trip. The other direction, I use my passport for preclearance, but the airline only sees NEXUS.

Originally Posted by hydrogen (Post 27728713)
SFO-YYZ-YWG. Tried check-in with Nexus only. Agent at the desk asked for passports because the "system didn't like that we had a domestic connection" with only a Nexus.

Had passports on hand so no worry, but sort of defeats (part of) the point of Nexus.

SFO is generally pretty good, but I have had the occasional issue where the options seemed to be:

1. Hand over passport
2. Let the agent/concierge fiddle with the system for 10 minutes before issuing boarding pass(es)

I always choose #1

Originally Posted by Bartolo (Post 27729051)
Agent insisted earlier today that passport number be added to upcoming transborder reservations. Nexus already there. She was adamant that was insufficient. Not worth an argument.

I've had that once. The bolded statement is my opinion too.

Originally Posted by hydrogen (Post 27731380)
GE machines in Canadian airports accept Nexus cards. Every time I've been asked for a passport in addition to Nexus (CBP/CBSA/etc.), I've just assumed that the staff were too lazy to pull the info from the Nexus card...

I have been EXPLICITLY told by MULTIPLE CBP officers that I must NOT use my NEXUS card in the machine, and I am required to use my passport.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 27731738)

But does the regulation matter if it's not uncommon to be asked for a passport? I don't want to waste an hour at check-in or CBSA/CBP to prove I'm right.

One time departing YOW TB, I was paged to the gate. They wanted to see my NEXUS card. I gave it to them. Ten minutes later, a different agent paged me, and wanted to see my NEXUS card again because the system hadn't accepted it. On the third page, I asked if my passport would make things easier. There was absolutely no doubt when she said "yes it will". And that was the last time they had to page me for that flight.

keitherson Jan 9, 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27731823)
I have been EXPLICITLY told by MULTIPLE CBP officers that I must NOT use my NEXUS card in the machine, and I am required to use my passport.

That's funny because I remember seeing some of the machines had printed out guides/notices on them on how to scan your NEXUS cards in the machine properly, like which corner to use.

mlin32 Jan 9, 2017 12:22 pm

For what it's worth, when I recently did my NEXUS interview, the agent told me explicitly that if I were to enter Canada by air, I'd still need to carry my passport. The NEXUS card solely as method of entry applies only by land entry.

Not a hassle for me though, I don't mind bring the passport with me.

expert7700 Jan 9, 2017 12:41 pm

I thought the US Global Entry machines would only read passports, but this thread has me curious if it would recognize a nexus card.

During EYW, my experience was that if I use my nexus in the 'known traveler#' field, then AC's system would not accept the same Nexus # as the official travel document. So I then tested a YTZ-YUL-LGA and purposely did not enter a KTN and the system lets me use my nexus # as the travel doc.

I have been on calls where the I could tell the Concierge only asks my Nexus # then seems to have delays checking me in. Now I just explain the above and have them use my passport as the travel doc.

CZAMFlyer Jan 9, 2017 12:55 pm

There certainly seem to be a lot of adamant opinions by people not bothering to look up official information: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html.

If you expect a hassle at the airport, bring a printout and hand it to the airline staffer.

If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

NEXUS members can use the automated kiosks located in the U.S. Preclearance area and the Canadian inspection services area at participating airports.

BlueMilk Jan 9, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 27731738)

You're correct in that it doesn't prove the validity of your passport. But as ketherson has mentioned repeatedly, a valid NEXUS card alone is adequate documentation for traveling between the US & Canada by land, sea or air.

NEXUS is adequate documentation for entering Canada or the US when travelling from the other. That much I'm confident in.

However, the US has some additional exit rules which are poorly communicated, poorly understood and can be interpreted by airlines as a passport requirement.

For those of us here confident enough in the rules to travel without a passport, we can fill our boots. If anyone's reading this thread looking for good advice, I say, "Carry your passport."

I'm not saying travelling on NEXUS alone isn't allowed; I'm saying it's ill-advised.

CZAMFlyer Jan 9, 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 27732378)
NEXUS is adequate documentation for entering Canada or the US when travelling from the other. That much I'm confident in.

However, the US has some additional exit rules which are poorly communicated, poorly understood and can be interpreted by airlines as a passport requirement.

If anyone's reading this thread looking for good advice, I say, "Carry your passport."

That is good advice.

I think the airline staff have been (mis)advised by their employers, not by the US government. Can you provide a link to any US government rules that might require checking passports vs accepting a valid NEXUS card?

echino Jan 9, 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 27732378)

That was not my experience, see my post above. In March 2016 Canadian border agent on arriving at YVR from the USA required my Canadian passport, in addition to Nexus card.

CZAMFlyer Jan 9, 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by echino (Post 27732474)
That was not my experience, see my post above. In March 2016 Canadian border agent on arriving at YVR from the USA required my Canadian passport, in addition to Nexus card.

See post #34.

BlueMilk Jan 9, 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 27732440)
That is good advice.

I think the airline staff have been (mis)advised by their employers, not by the US government. Can you provide a link to any US government rules that might require checking passports vs accepting a valid NEXUS card?

I cannot. If such links were obvious, surely someone else would have cited them by now. Hence the communication problem.

OP in post #12 cited Timatic:

"Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to nationals of Canada must be valid on arrival.

Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or accepted departure document is required by the US immigration authorities."

That NEXUS is not explicitly named as an "accepted departure document" is surely not helpful to airlines.

keitherson Jan 9, 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by echino (Post 27732474)

Even CBSA officers and CBP officers will get the NEXUS details wrong.

If you are traveling for reasons outside of B1/B2, you must have a passport or a visa.

You can only use NEXUS only for air travel (as well as ground and marine travel) if you are entering under B1/B2.

I seriously cannot believe I have to do this but the specific legislation is here:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...0-0-15933.html

22 CFR 41.2, may present a valid unexpired NEXUS program card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk or when entering the United States from contiguous territory or adjacent islands at a land or sea port-of-entry. A Canadian citizen who enters the United States by pleasure vessel from Canada under the remote inspection system may present a valid unexpired NEXUS program card.
Anecdotes are really unhelpful because it only helps spread further misinformation.