FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1813893-ac-no-longer-allowing-nexus-sole-basis-enter-canada.html)

RatherBeInYOW Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I used my Nexus card (kept my Passport in my laptop bag) for quite a while. Until one day last year, when boarding an EWR - YOW flight, the UA gate agent loudly said "no, I need your passport ... EVERYONE NEEDS TO HAVE THEIR PASSPORT OPEN TO THE PHOTO PAGE" and decided to refuse to let me board until I dug out my passport.

I just leave the NEXUS card in my bag now, unless I am at a NEXUS machine in Canada. Not worth the hassle.

CZAMFlyer Jan 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life (Post 27750479)
I believe it is just easier to bring both documents and present the passport, if requested.

Yes, it is. But I have been required to travel to the US on a couple of occasions during which my Cdn passport was at a consulate in order to obtain a travel visa to another country. A passport is usually more convenient and speedy, but there is no regulatory requirement for AC to disallow a valid Nexus card when entering Canada from the US.

okazon69 Jan 12, 2017 5:08 pm

No issues using just NEXUS at DCA yesterday, January 11, 2017.

Nitehawk Jan 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Passport is much easier to deal with than trying to educate gate agents, customs agents, check in agents at time sensitive moments.

If you need to give your passport out all the time for visas can't you get a second passport issued? You definitely can if you like to visit Israel.

ffsim Jan 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk (Post 27752399)
If you need to give your passport out all the time for visas can't you get a second passport issued? You definitely can if you like to visit Israel.

I had read years ago that Canada does not allow its citizens to hold two valid Canadian passports simultaneously but that there were a handful of exceptions specifically for the reason you mention. Apparently if you can demonstrate that you need to conduct business both in Israel and other countries in the Middle East, there was some way to get a second passport. Can't find anything further on that today... I wonder if it's still a possibility. Anyone have further details?

CrownRoyalForever Jan 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 27751044)
Wow, I can't believe I just spent an half an hour reading all of these posts!

When I checked-in at BOS the other day the agent asked for my passport. I said "will NEXUS do?". Her response was that yes, it would, but she would have to enter the info manually, but she can just scan the passport, which is quicker and easier. Fine by me.

This. Buddy worked for CBSA as a student and when I told him I always show my Citizenship Card entering Canada at land POEs instead of my passport he explained the only difference was that it was more work for the officer.

Cheers

flyquiet Jan 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 27751044)
Wow, I can't believe I just spent an half an hour reading all of these posts!

When I checked-in at BOS the other day the agent asked for my passport. I said "will NEXUS do?". Her response was that yes, it would, but she would have to enter the info manually, but she can just scan the passport, which is quicker and easier. Fine by me.

When I enter the require APIS info I use my passport info, but also list my "KTN". I am rightly or wrongly assuming that I need to entire my Nexus number in the KTN field in order to get "TSA Pre" on my boarding pass. I suspect that the AC agent will insist on seeing whatever document you entered into the APIS.

I always use passport in GE preclearance machines, since CBP always asks for it anyway when I give them my slip, and just Nexus in the machines when coming back to Canada.

In the APIS, if you choose NEXUS instead of passport, you can leave the KTN field blank. In fact, you may find it cannot process the OLCI if you input the same number in both places, because when it tries to write the KTN number, the field is already populated and it coughs up a hairball. I am not sure that is actually what is happening, but I only input the NEXUS number in the document field and I leave KTN blank and it has never prevented precheck.

I always use NEXUS card in GE machines and have never had CBP ask for passport. Maybe depends on station. YYZ TB, only time they wanted the passport was to get the TN put in.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW (Post 27751466)
I used my Nexus card (kept my Passport in my laptop bag) for quite a while. Until one day last year, when boarding an EWR - YOW flight, the UA gate agent loudly said "no, I need your passport ... EVERYONE NEEDS TO HAVE THEIR PASSPORT OPEN TO THE PHOTO PAGE" and decided to refuse to let me board until I dug out my passport.

I just leave the NEXUS card in my bag now, unless I am at a NEXUS machine in Canada. Not worth the hassle.

Here's my advantage: being deaf, I don't hear any such shouting, so I present my NEXUS in blissful oblivion.

Always have passport buried deep in the bag, in its protective envelope, but never need to touch it.

Nitehawk Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 27752569)
I had read years ago that Canada does not allow its citizens to hold two valid Canadian passports simultaneously but that there were a handful of exceptions specifically for the reason you mention. Apparently if you can demonstrate that you need to conduct business both in Israel and other countries in the Middle East, there was some way to get a second passport. Can't find anything further on that today... I wonder if it's still a possibility. Anyone have further details?

For some reason I recall reading something that made it sound easier than I was I able to locate in a 30 second google session. I rescind my previous statement of "just get a second passport."

ffsim Jan 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk (Post 27752899)
For some reason I recall reading something that made it sound easier than I was I able to locate in a 30 second google session. I rescind my previous statement of "just get a second passport."

No, no! It was a good idea! Just change the suggestion to "marry a foreign national and become a naturalized citizen of that country" :D

Nitehawk Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 27752950)
No, no! It was a good idea! Just change the suggestion to "marry a foreign national and become a naturalized citizen of that country" :D

So do I want a US passport or a EU passport? :D I guess to be relevant to the Nexus issue it would have to be a US passport. Too bad there are these rules for dual citizens and which passport they can use for entry to their home countries!

keitherson Jan 13, 2017 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Nitehawk (Post 27752899)

Unfortunately Passport Canada stopped allowing that years ago, along with additional page inserts. You are now required to just get a new passport each time.

A second passport would solve a LOT of problems, including most need to use NEXUS-only travel, but it's sadly no longer an option.

Badenoch Jan 13, 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 27747882)
You can scan your nexus instead of your passport for the machines.

On the outbound trip? The signage on the machine at YYZ asks for a passport and doesn't mention NEXUS. Maybe next time I'll try it just with the card to see what happens.

Only West Jet has refused NEXUS for travel back to Canada and demanded to see my passport. It's never been a problem with AC.

RatherBeInYOW Jan 13, 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 27752569)

Correct, certain countries will prohibit you entry with another countries' stamp in your passport. I've entered Israel with a Saudi visa / stamp in my passport and while I got a lot of questions I was admitted. My understanding is that doing it the other way around (going in to Saudi with an Israeli stamp) will get you denied although I never tried that thankfully. Apparently Iran and several other states will also block you with an Israel stamp, some don't care (Qatar, Bahrain and UAE did not care for me).

I have a friend who is a Canadian journalist and lived in the middle east, and he has two Canadian passports. He lived in Jerusalem and had to travel everywhere and his employer (a major Canadian newspaper) was able to get him a second passport issued. So I know it is possible, but I think it is under very specific circumstances where your employer can demonstrate that you can't do your job without it. In my case it would have been an inconvenience, in his case he could not do his job at all without the ability to go to say both Iraq and Israel.

LockheedElectra Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by martyYOW (Post 27736808)
That's because of the L1 status. I was advised on my last L1 renewal to make sure to always travel with my passport and not just Nexus because I may be asked for it at any time (including within the US). That being said, he didn't point me to a written rule so maybe he was making it up :)

In any case, better safe than sorry and I always carry my passport. Case in point, last week at YOW, the airport security that checks tour boarding pass (BEFORE CATSA) refused to allow me to proceed without a passport. He said I had to show it or he couldn't let me pass and Nexus wasn't valid for Air Travel - it really wasn't worth the argument.

A bit late, but thanks, that makes sense.

yvr76 Jan 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Just had a gate agent in SAN insist on seeing my passport for a doc. check even though I used Nexus for OLCI. Quoted the ETA rules from November and I told him that he was misinformed. Anyway, I wound up grabbing my passport and then his lead said that "well, we don't have to see it, we just like to".