Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't ( wasn't) one of the conditions of using Nexus that
you must also have your passport with you?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Certainly is. You always must have your passport with you even when using the NEXUS card. (How'd one get into the US without a passport? Though I've never used NEXUS at the GE kiosk, thought there was always a US inspector at some point wanting to take a quick glance at the actual passport.)

A while ago, there were spot inspections at the Canadian kiosks. The card is merely a short cut not a replacement. (In fact, the NEXUS card is a US-issued document, not a Canadian one.) However, airlines were instructed about two years ago that the NEXUS card was sufficient for the gate-check ID for boarding a flight to Canada and I've never been asked for my passport since that came into effect (AC, AA or UA). My last flight from the US to Canada was in November and just showed my Nexus card at the gate. Timatic entry must be something recent.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't ( wasn't) one of the conditions of using Nexus that
I thought so too. I never travel anywhere without my passport and nexus together. You can't even travel to the USA as the GE machines are passport only.
You also need your nexus card to access the nexus security lines at Canadian airports. Thus they're always together.

I do agree that previously you could fly back to Canada from the USA (not sure about other INTL) locations with just showing your nexus the entire way through (checkin, tsa pre, gate agent, nexus machines.

Maybe this was a YMMV situation? in mid Nov I flew from LGA to YYZ and they asked for both passport and nexus. Upon boarding the flight they asked me for my passport citing that was a new procedure. End of Nov, did the same flight and they didn't care.
The guy who did ask for my passport was new at LGA. He had only been there for 2 months or something like that.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No passport Required

The last 2 posts are not correct. A passport is not required for Can-USA-Can travel, air or land if one has a valid Nexus card. Having said that, I do always carry my Passport on air trips just in case of misinformed AIRLINE personnel.

Carrying a Passport was initially required but not anymore.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
source: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information

NEXUS members now have crossing privileges at any air, land, and marine ports of entry. Under theWestern Hemisphere Travel Initiative(WHTI), the NEXUS card has been approved as an alternative to the passport for air travel into the United States for U.S. and Canadian citizens.

Maybe its just entry for USA not Canada. Trying to find for Canada entry.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
My data point is a bit different.

Flew YYJ-YVR-LAX and had put my nexus in for the KTN. I arrived at YYJ and presented my passport at checkin. The agent didn't want to see it (she didn't even take it from my hand) she wanted and only used my Nexus as that's what I had entered online.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
found this on CBSA website, I guess if you're a Canadian Citizen then its okay to use Nexus only for re-entry. However, it does state airlines may not accept Nexus as proof of identification.

Source: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Residents returning to Canada
Identification for Canada/United States travel
You should carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States (U.S.). A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.

Canadian citizens who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes.

Canadian citizens who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity and as a document that denotes citizenship when arriving by land or marine modes only.

Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

If you plan to travel to or transit through the U.S., we encourage you to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:18 am

No problems at FLL

FLL-YUL 12/30. Did OLCI and entered Nexus info as travel document and never showed my passport. As for many things, YMMV.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
My experience both ways is that a passport is not required though I carry it anyway. Just returned from the US yesterday with Nexus only entered for OLCI and shown at the gate. Passport never left my bag. The larger AC stations (SFO, LAX, LAS) have not asked for passports. Smaller stations or new staff sometimes do.
Outbound to the US you need a passport to use the GE machines and to enter the line. Unsubstantiated rumors are that you can use your Nexus card in the GE machines though CBP advises against. I would think you can use your Nexus card in the regular line.
One weird event - flying to the US last week with a checked bag, used the GE machines and then had to queue up to see a CBP officer to release the bag and he asked to see my passport and stamped it too.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
My experience both ways is that a passport is not required though I carry it anyway. Just returned from the US yesterday with Nexus only entered for OLCI and shown at the gate. Passport never left my bag. The larger AC stations (SFO, LAX, LAS) have not asked for passports. Smaller stations or new staff sometimes do.
Outbound to the US you need a passport to use the GE machines and to enter the line. Unsubstantiated rumors are that you can use your Nexus card in the GE machines though CBP advises against. I would think you can use your Nexus card in the regular line.
One weird event - flying to the US last week with a checked bag, used the GE machines and then had to queue up to see a CBP officer to release the bag and he asked to see my passport and stamped it too.
GE machines in Canadian airports accept Nexus cards. Every time I've been asked for a passport in addition to Nexus (CBP/CBSA/etc.), I've just assumed that the staff were too lazy to pull the info from the Nexus card...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:33 am

Passports required by CBSA at YVR when flying from USA.

I was flying with my family from USA to YVR in March 2016. Two adults and three kids, all Canadian citizens living in Canada, all five Nexus members. Went through Nexus kiosks on arrival at YVR, but because kids did not have their iris scans, had to see the agent. The Canadian border agent insisted to see everyone's passports. Said it was required. We had passports, so entered without any issue.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I believe only when you are flying you are required to have your passport.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by echino
Passports required by CBSA at YVR when flying from USA.

I was flying with my family from USA to YVR in March 2016. Two adults and three kids, all Canadian citizens living in Canada, all five Nexus members. Went through Nexus kiosks on arrival at YVR, but because kids did not have their iris scans, had to see the agent. The Canadian border agent insisted to see everyone's passports. Said it was required. We had passports, so entered without any issue.
Even CBSA and CBP officers can be wrong, unfortunately. And they're not entirely to blame since the wording and policy around this is needlessly complicated.

And you brought up a good reminder: you can only use NEXUS solely without a passport if you are a US or Canadian citizen, all other nationalities must carry their passport.
No.
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Contract agents in IAH are particularly bad about making up rules on this. Had a fight with a particularly nasty woman who wasn't interested in learning the actual rules.

Gave up fighting. But still don't provide them passport unless they insist. Last time I gave them my nexus card and she asked if I had my passport and I answered yes and only gave her the passport when she insisted on seeing it.

I would never travel without my passport as Nexus system could be down. Your passport is always the gold standard of entry. Nexus is a convenience.
Sometimes you don't have a choice.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AC S100K
If any reader thinks, after reading this thread, they could travel by air between Canada and the US without carrying a their passport--please think again.

That it has been done does not mean it's a great idea.

I barely trust my Nexus card alone for travel within Canada as insurance against a US diversion.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
If any reader thinks, after reading this thread, they could travel by air between Canada and the US without carrying a their passport--please think again.

That it has been done does not mean it's a great idea.

I barely trust my Nexus card alone for travel within Canada as insurance against a US diversion.
It's certainly more hassle if you find a misinformed agent, but you are well within your rights to do so.

I have flown using NEXUS only many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.