Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How best to exchange AEROPLAN MILES

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: How best to exchange AEROPLAN MILES

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RJ BA AF LH AC
How best to exchange AEROPLAN MILES

What are possibilities to exchange Aeroplane miles to BRITISHAIRWAYS AVIOS .

What are best options to redeem Aeroplane miles on other airlines.
Which are airlines in same pool?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aeroplan miles are nearly useless except for people with SE status with AC. A good estimate of their value is something like CAD 0.70-0.80/mile except for SEs for whom it is now around 1.80-2,00.

Some people will claim their value is higher, but their glasses are on the rosy side. Sure, occasionally one manages to get a higher value reward, but one cannot consistently get higher value. Also, people who claim higher value tend not to account for inflexibility of rewards.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raja Halazon

What are possibilities to exchange Aeroplane miles to BRITISHAIRWAYS AVIOS .

What are best options to redeem Aeroplane miles on other airlines.
Which are airlines in same pool?
Effectively freq flyer miles from 1 program cannot be converted/moved to another freq flyer program. FF miles also cannot be sold to others.

AC is in the Star Alliance as is another ffp listed in your profile (LH)
For all information on awards with the AC ffp look in the AC web site
And look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...forum-faq.html

RJ & BA are also in the Oneworld alliance so you have an overlap of fpp's.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. FFP’s are for the medium to long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)
Be mindful of expiry http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:19 am
alc

You can still go thru the process and convert from Aeroplan to BA or AA, just that you do lose value, as in it is not 1 to 1.

Here is the thread that explain the full process:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rbc-avion.html

now, the question is whether you think it is worth to convert them under 1 to 1 ratio and only you will be able to answer that.

The one adv, IMO, with this process is that it allow you to group multiple Aeroplan accounts into a single BA or AA account.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Question

Originally Posted by Stranger
Aeroplan miles are nearly useless except for people with SE status with AC. A good estimate of their value is something like CAD 0.70-0.80/mile except for SEs for whom it is now around 1.80-2,00.

Some people will claim their value is higher, but their glasses are on the rosy side. Sure, occasionally one manages to get a higher value reward, but one cannot consistently get higher value. Also, people who claim higher value tend not to account for inflexibility of rewards.
I ve never had any AC status and while the airline is useless, Aeroplan points have served me.well.

But no, you cannot transfer Aeroplan points into anywhere else, there are some options via points.Com tho, including Esso, but rates are pretty bad.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger

I don't occasionally get a higher value award. I get it consistently and I am not SE. If you don't do your homework, you pay the price.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Other than the miserable Points.com exchange/conversion program, the only real way to "use" AE miles for BA flights is to find someone with whom you can swap awards (and agree to compensate for the cash charges for fees, fuel surcharges, etc.). Once you hit 100 FT posts, you can go on Coupon Exchange and see if anyone is interest in such a swap.

So what sort of BA flight are you looking to take (class of service, routing, time of year)? How may AE miles have you got to offer up?

As for other airlines for which you can use AE miles, suggest you go to the AE site and check those things out. Also be aware that some airline flights don't have huge fees, while others do. Do a bit of searching on this forum to determine the best way to use your AE miles.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RJ BA AF LH AC
Aeroplan miles

Thanks a lot. Say I have 59000 miles.
□■□ what would be best way to use them on premium economy or business class .Preferred flights 'RTRN' [ AMM -YYZ , YYZ-LHR,LHR-CENTRAL EUROPE ].What is SE
status on AC?
RFH
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Other than the miserable Points.com exchange/conversion program, the only real way to "use" AE miles for BA flights is to find someone with whom you can swap awards (and agree to compensate for the cash charges for fees, fuel surcharges, etc.). Once you hit 100 FT posts, you can go on Coupon Exchange and see if anyone is interest in such a swap.

So what sort of BA flight are you looking to take (class of service, routing, time of year)? How may AE miles have you got to offer up?

As for other airlines for which you can use AE miles, suggest you go to the AE site and check those things out. Also be aware that some airline flights don't have huge fees, while others do. Do a bit of searching on this forum to determine the best way to use your AE miles.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Exchange AP to Avios; Does this still exist?

Hey guys,

I would like to transfer out my AP, got about 60k. I want to change them to Avios, which right now RBC Avioners have a 30% bonus on the conversion.
First, does the esso extra card ever expire? Second, are the returns rates still the same as before?

Keep in mind I've done this before, so if esso is not expired, I'm good for the 250$ spend.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Cphil1

First, does the esso extra card ever expire?

Esso Gift Cards purchased after November 1, 2009 do not expire.
https://www.esso.ca/en/gas-cards-faqs

In many jurisdictions of Canada, gift cards are treated as cash and thus, never expire. It does vary by province but most major corporations (including Esso) have stated that in Canada, gift cards do not expire.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Hey guys,

I would like to transfer out my AP, got about 60k. I want to change them to Avios, which right now RBC Avioners have a 30% bonus on the conversion.
First, does the esso extra card ever expire? Second, are the returns rates still the same as before?

Keep in mind I've done this before, so if esso is not expired, I'm good for the 250$ spend.
Thanks for letting me know.
It sounds like you are thinking of the current 30% promo from RBC Avion to BA Avios, that's not available from AP. I don't know of any way to get Aeroplan->Avios, let alone at a bonus rate.
Depending upon what you want to do, you can always book a one way with the 60k points and use Avios on the return.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
A little reviving...

I'm wondering, does the aeroplan to avios (through Esso extra points) transfer still exist?
Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A little reviving...

I'm wondering, does the aeroplan to avios (through Esso extra points) transfer still exist?
Thanks
No more AeroPlan Miles with ESSO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.