Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wigg
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

Q: I was successful in a Bid Upgrade to the PY cabin. Can I now use my e upgrades to attempt to upgrade to J?

A: No. Only 1 upgrade is allowed. The same applies to a last minute upgrade to PY.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jenson89
My flight is on Friday to HKG (AC7), and when I go onto the Air Canada site to look for 2 Business Class seats, it is unavailable.
Looking for 1 seat, I can see there are about 5-6 seats available in Business Class.

Is there a way to tell what the chances are that my Bid Upgrade would be successful or unsucessful?
Can you also ask the Kiosk Teller at the Airport for a Bid Upgrade to Premium Economy if Business Class ends up being sold out?
Not sure how you are seeing that there are about 5-6 seats available (I hope it's not from the Seat Map) as the flight is showing J-1 in ExpertFlyer. (This would explain why when you search for 2 seats it returns a negative result)

There is no way to tell if your Bid will be successful or unsuccessful, but given that J-1, I wouldn't be hopeful.

Bid Upgrades close and notifications are issued at T-48 so you will know then, and they are not available at the Airport.

The only other thing you can hope for is a LMU at Check-in to either PE or J. There are 5 seats left to sell in PE, so you may or may not get a LMU offer.

Last chance - eUp at the gate!

Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jenson89
My flight is on Friday to HKG (AC7), and when I go onto the Air Canada site to look for 2 Business Class seats, it is unavailable.
Looking for 1 seat, I can see there are about 5-6 seats available in Business Class.

Is there a way to tell what the chances are that my Bid Upgrade would be successful or unsucessful?
Can you also ask the Kiosk Teller at the Airport for a Bid Upgrade to Premium Economy if Business Class ends up being sold out?
I have been in your situation a couple of times, and always had a successful bid. If you are on a flex fare, a successful bid would be around $4K. If I was you, I would put a bid in for $4100.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by foothills county flier
I have been in your situation a couple of times, and always had a successful bid. If you are on a flex fare, a successful bid would be around $4K. If I was you, I would put a bid in for $4100.
Or fly the next day for 3669 cash in J

unless one had a drastic change in their life/financial circumstances, or a work travel requirement, i don't see the rational for buying flex Y and bidding $4100, if one had that kinda money why not just buy it do begin with (and get s suite access, extra points etc)?

i'm on that flight next thursday... because of onward ticket with cathay J was going to be super expensive so we passed on it, waitlisted at the moment and not optimistic. i declined the 1100 min bid

Last edited by tdiddy23; Mar 26, 2024 at 2:47 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Or fly the next day for 3669 cash in J and have everything pretty much guaranteed

unless one had a drastic change in their life/financial circumstances, or a work travel requirement, i don't see the rational for buying flex Y and bidding $4100, if one had that kinda money why not just buy it do begin with (and get s suite access)?

i'm on that flight next thursday... because of onward ticket with cathay J was going to be super expensive so we passed on it, waitlisted at the moment and not optimistic
I do it, because it's usually a last min ticket(within 7 days) and it's 99.9% always cheaper than buying a J ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Flying YYZ - HND. My friend's bid was 1380 (with paid exit row economy, not sure if that $100+ is taken into account in the bid).

My bid was 1370 and also requested eUp (status is 25K). I intentionally put in a lower bid because I want him to get upgraded.

His bid was accepted. My eUp also went through when I checked at T-48.

minimum bid was 1300. J9 before T48. J4 after. Economy Flex tickets.

Received bid upgrade reject notification at T-36.
kalderlake likes this.

Last edited by beep88; Mar 29, 2024 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 9, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I need to check the lowest fare class that can be upgraded from economy to PE on the flight to DXB from YYZ. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I need to check the lowest fare class that can be upgraded from economy to PE on the flight to DXB from YYZ. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Here is the link to the e upgrade "guide". Pg 6 I think is what you want.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rements_EN.pdf
Old Apr 9, 2024, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Wigg
Here is the link to the e upgrade "guide". Pg 6 I think is what you want.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...rements_EN.pdf
Thank you but I am looking for Upgrade bid and not E upgrades.
Wigg likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 2:36 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Thank you but I am looking for Upgrade bid and not E upgrades.
The only class they specifically say “no” to in the FAQ’s is Economy Basic, however they also note:

Not all flights may be eligible for an upgrade. Eligible flights and tickets are determined by Air Canada at its sole discretion and depend on a variety of factors including cabin class and seat class availability.
Wigg likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by wjw
The only class they specifically say “no” to in the FAQ’s is Economy Basic, however they also note:
So one day on that sector it may be available and on another day that class is not available? I do understand that it on the availability of seats but was wondering if I buy anything not basic if there is a possibility of bidding. I know that the success of the bid also depends solely on AC but some fares do not have the ability to make a bid as well.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, if you buy anything other than Basic, there is a possibility of submitting a bid upgrade.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:54 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, if you buy anything other than Basic, there is a possibility of submitting a bid upgrade.
Any idea if they take the original fare into account when accepting/declining bids, or ranking bidders?

IE: You're on a $400 ticket and bid $300, I'm on a $500 ticket and bid $250, only 1 UG to be accepted, who wins? Does status come into play?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:57 pm

Hi everyone - I will be flying Y on AC transpacific the coming Thursday and have a few questions on seating and upgrades:
1. I read somewhere that AC will send out an upgrade email a week before the flight; mine is 7 days minus 5 hours from now and I still haven't received anything. Does that mean the premium cabins are all full?
2. Other upgrade options seem to be around online check-in and at the gate. How does the gate option work - will it be announced or I will need to approach a gate agent asking about an upgrade? Will it be a fixed price or another round of bidding?
3. If an upgrade is not available/affordable, I'd like to have the option to change seats in Y as late as possible. If I check in online as normal but choose not to print BP, will I be able to change seats when printing BP at an AC kiosk?
TIA.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by hopping
Hi everyone - I will be flying Y on AC transpacific the coming Thursday and have a few questions on seating and upgrades:
1. I read somewhere that AC will send out an upgrade email a week before the flight; mine is 7 days minus 5 hours from now and I still haven't received anything. Does that mean the premium cabins are all full?
2. Other upgrade options seem to be around online check-in and at the gate. How does the gate option work - will it be announced or I will need to approach a gate agent asking about an upgrade? Will it be a fixed price or another round of bidding?
3. If an upgrade is not available/affordable, I'd like to have the option to change seats in Y as late as possible. If I check in online as normal but choose not to print BP, will I be able to change seats when printing BP at an AC kiosk?
TIA.
1. There are services you can subscribe to (expertflyer has a free trial) that will tell you number of open seats in the different fare buckets (up to a max of 9 in the case of AC). Or you can simply try to book a business seat and see if AC will sell it to you.

3. You can change your seat even after checking in and having a BP.
hopping likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
1. There are services you can subscribe to (expertflyer has a free trial) that will tell you number of open seats in the different fare buckets (up to a max of 9 in the case of AC). Or you can simply try to book a business seat and see if AC will sell it to you.

3. You can change your seat even after checking in and having a BP.
Thanks! Didn't realize changing seats is allowed even after BP is printed. Also tried to book and no availability in PY or J when booking for 4. Guess only a few left in both. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.