Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wigg
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

Q: I was successful in a Bid Upgrade to the PY cabin. Can I now use my e upgrades to attempt to upgrade to J?

A: No. Only 1 upgrade is allowed. The same applies to a last minute upgrade to PY.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: United 1K | Marriott Titanium, LT Platinum
apologies if this has been asked before (i searched and couldn't find any info on the question). How far in advance i should put my bid? I have flights booked during Christmas break. is it too early to bid upgrade or wait till last week and enter the upgrade. based on what i read, the upgrades are only cleared 48 hrs in advance!
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sevusal
apologies if this has been asked before (i searched and couldn't find any info on the question). How far in advance i should put my bid? I have flights booked during Christmas break. is it too early to bid upgrade or wait till last week and enter the upgrade. based on what i read, the upgrades are only cleared 48 hrs in advance!
You can put in as early as you want, no one knows if the order of bidding make a difference but at least you won't get charge until it is cleared. So no reason to leave it till last minute.
sevusal likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:25 pm

Hi all, looking for advice to get a lie-down seat.
Flying NRT to YUL AC06 sept 22 in PE (Aeroplan points redemption)
Should I use my eUps with copay or should I bid upgrade?
25k status if that matters.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Varialflip
Hi all, looking for advice to get a lie-down seat.
Flying NRT to YUL AC06 sept 22 in PE (Aeroplan points redemption)
Should I use my eUps with copay or should I bid upgrade?
25k status if that matters.
If either is acceptable to you, do both. You will only be charged for one of them, if it is successful.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by ycat
Round trip YYZ to ICN (Seoul) in two weeks

Do minimum bids ever change? Or are they preset and set in stone?

Put in bids a little above minimum (premium on way out, signature on way back). Not sure what my chances are, but would be nice to get upgraded as my base fare which i booked a long time ago was only 1.4k RT. Not sure if there are any other tricks to getting upgraded but this bid system seems interesting.

Should i roll dice for a better price at check-in?
Believe it's almost always higher at check-in
Old Sep 16, 2023, 8:13 pm

NRT - YUL September 18 PY to J

Bid $850 per person, accepted, for two.

Cannot seem to select seats, but there are plenty to choose from.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 5:43 am

Ac737 yyz-sfo a321

Bid for $305 which was the lowest price in the range. Range actually started at $295 the day before, so I put in $305 after I checked again the next day. I bid 6 days before the flight. Was automatically accepted 48 hours beforehand. I’m a credit card holder and currently hold no status.

Wouldnt normally be willing to bid for an A321 but I was flying for work.

Last edited by aimango; Sep 17, 2023 at 6:11 am
Old Sep 18, 2023, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sevusal
you can put in a bid early and I think you can change it up to 72 hours before the flight. You’ll know before 48 hours whether you get accepted (sometimes they don’t notify you of getting rejected). I use expert flyer to see the seats available in the upgraded class, usually checking a week and few days before the bidding window closes. I still don’t know what the best amount to bid but I usually factor in the flight time, the airplane type, length of the flight, the number of seats still available in the class and how badly I want the upgrade. Some people pay the instant upgrade amount so when you see the seats get taken up a few days before the trip, you’ll know that you need to bid higher/closer to the instant upgrade amount
Old Sep 18, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by aimango
Bid for $305 which was the lowest price in the range. Range actually started at $295 the day before, so I put in $305 after I checked again the next day. I bid 6 days before the flight. Was automatically accepted 48 hours beforehand. I’m a credit card holder and currently hold no status.

Wouldnt normally be willing to bid for an A321 but I was flying for work.
Work actually allows this? That's pretty nice.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:23 pm

YYZ-ICN Sept. 21st

Good afternoon, trying to bid for the first time on my upcoming flight to ICN and I found multiple answers on this. If my upgrade is accepted, will my preferred seat selection be refunded?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 18, 2023, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Work actually allows this? That's pretty nice.
oops, to clarify I would gladly pay the $305 out of pocket since I think it’s worth the price as I needed to fly into YYZ for a weekend anyway, and the one way back to my home airport (LGA) would’ve been the same price if booked last minute. I’m glad I didn’t have to pay the ~$800 base price one way for booking last minute.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 9:41 am

Hello! Can someone help me with this. I subscribed to expert flyer in order to help me with the bidding process for my flight YYZ-ICN on sept 21st. I studied tourism many years ago so I'm quite comfortable with all the codes but let's just say I feel a little rusty! Here's the flight availability: J2 C1 D1 Z1 P1 R0 O4 E3 A3 N0 Y5 B1 M1 U1 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S1 T1 L1 K0 G0, I'm not sure if that means there are 2 seats or 4 seats available in business class? On expert flying in the seat map I see 2 seats available and two more seats that are blocked.

Anyhow I'm not very confident with my bid in J (1285 offered, minimum is 1200) but since there are many more seats available in PE I think my 585$ bid could work. Im originally booked in economy on my way there and business for my return. CC holder. I'll keep you updated!
Old Sep 19, 2023, 10:52 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by SweetDee
Hello! Can someone help me with this. I subscribed to expert flyer in order to help me with the bidding process for my flight YYZ-ICN on sept 21st. I studied tourism many years ago so I'm quite comfortable with all the codes but let's just say I feel a little rusty! Here's the flight availability: J2 C1 D1 Z1 P1 R0 O4 E3 A3 N0 Y5 B1 M1 U1 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S1 T1 L1 K0 G0, I'm not sure if that means there are 2 seats or 4 seats available in business class? On expert flying in the seat map I see 2 seats available and two more seats that are blocked.

Anyhow I'm not very confident with my bid in J (1285 offered, minimum is 1200) but since there are many more seats available in PE I think my 585$ bid could work. Im originally booked in economy on my way there and business for my return. CC holder. I'll keep you updated!
First off, ignore the seat map. It may or (usually) may not give you the insights you really want. J2 just means that AC is willing to sell two seats in Business Class at this time. That's all we know.

Will you or won't you get the upgrade based on your bid, nobody knows. But I am willing to bet that you will be competing against a whole bunch of people trying to use e-ups to do the same thing. Best of luck!
kalderlake likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
First off, ignore the seat map. It may or (usually) may not give you the insights you really want. J2 just means that AC is willing to sell two seats in Business Class at this time. That's all we know.

Will you or won't you get the upgrade based on your bid, nobody knows. But I am willing to bet that you will be competing against a whole bunch of people trying to use e-ups to do the same thing. Best of luck!
Thanks you for your help! E-upgrades should be cleared by now since we are 49h before the flight but maybe they can also wait last minute to request an upgrade? Not too familiar with those. Anyway it doesn't matter if it doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be that's all. I'm still having fun trying to foresee the future haha. Have a great day!
Old Sep 19, 2023, 11:00 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by SweetDee
Thanks you for your help! E-upgrades should be cleared by now since we are 49h before the flight but maybe they can also wait last minute to request an upgrade? Not too familiar with those. Anyway it doesn't matter if it doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be that's all. I'm still having fun trying to foresee the future haha. Have a great day!
Just to clarify, e-upgrades could still clear as late as boarding time BTW. There's a whole thread that shows what can happen then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.