Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada & rouge New Routes - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada & rouge New Routes - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
Remember there are lots of flights from midwest/east coast to Hawaii that are considerably longer) e.g. ORD-HNL is 4,243 miles and EWR-HNL is 4,962 miles... but typically those are flown with widebodies. ANC-NYC is also longer at 3,385 (and flown on a 757).
I assumed @mileageking meant longest in AC's network. If we're talking all of North America, HA flies BOS-HNL, which is over 100 miles farther than EWR-HNL.

Now, if AC started YYT-HNL, that would clock in at 5,815 miles
mileageking likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:25 pm

YUL-YLW starting July 2.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/328225/Air-Canada-offering-direct-flights-from-Kelowna-to-Montreal-this-summer
Air Canada is opening up the Okanagan to people in Quebec.

Beginning July 2, Air Canada will offer direct, non-stop service from Kelowna International Airport to Montreal, five days a week, Friday through Tuesday.

Return non-stop flights from Montreal depart Wednesday through Sunday.

Air Canada will utilize the recently acquired Airbus 220-300, a plane designed in Canada, on the route.

19:05
Montréal YUL

AC 365
Wi-Fi
21:35
Kelowna YLW

10:00
Kelowna YLW

AC 364
Wi-Fi
17:30
Montréal YUL
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:42 am

This weekend LH loaded YYC-FRA 5x weekly from March 27, 2022. Curious if this will be on top of AC's daily service or if they're replacing AC metal on the route? 12x weekly seems rather excessive unless they're expecting a surge in demand next summer?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
This weekend LH loaded YYC-FRA 5x weekly from March 27, 2022. Curious if this will be on top of AC's daily service or if they're replacing AC metal on the route? 12x weekly seems rather excessive unless they're expecting a surge in demand next summer?
We've seen pretty solid evidence so far that some airlines are more (or less) willing than others to load a bunch of flights, see what the demand is, then cancel any flight that doesnt sell >X% by T-minus-6-weeks.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I sure hope that's in addition to the AC flight. I shudder at the idea of losing that flight.

About 10 years ago, AC and LH did both operate YYC-FRA, so there was a time when it made sense to have both on the route.

For what it's worth, AC still seems to be selling YYC-FRA as far out as the schedule goes.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:11 pm

LH does not seem to have loaded the promised 5x weekly YOW-FRA flight, so maybe it was moved to YYC? Hopefully the AC YOW-LHR flight sticks around.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
LH does not seem to have loaded the promised 5x weekly YOW-FRA flight, so maybe it was moved to YYC? Hopefully the AC YOW-LHR flight sticks around.
LHR-YOW appears to be gone completely, as far out as the booking horizon goes.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
LHR-YOW appears to be gone completely, as far out as the booking horizon goes.
All likely based on demand. YOW-LHR will come back, but maybe not until next summer. There is a lot of capacity that needs to restored from the east, to all parts of Europe, that AC once flew. There is much less nonstop capacity from the west, so it make some sense that capacity would return first (both AC and LH). March 2022 is also a long ways out...
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I sure hope that's in addition to the AC flight. I shudder at the idea of losing that flight.

About 10 years ago, AC and LH did both operate YYC-FRA, so there was a time when it made sense to have both on the route.

For what it's worth, AC still seems to be selling YYC-FRA as far out as the schedule goes.
I guess LH did announce resuming YYC last year through its Eurowings brand, but a combined 12x weekly seems rather excessive even if there is a surge in demand.

Maybe they think there's market share with BA dropping out?

Originally Posted by YOWgary
We've seen pretty solid evidence so far that some airlines are more (or less) willing than others to load a bunch of flights, see what the demand is, then cancel any flight that doesnt sell >X% by T-minus-6-weeks.
I'm aware, but this is still a rather odd add. I guess there is no harm in LH quietly adding the flights and just as quietly removing them in a few months when they don't get the bookings they're after but given the JV it would imply AC would be in on it too?

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
The flight numbers are the same from the planned YOW-FRA service. LH472/473.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:39 am

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021...-and-Vancouver

More Hawaii coming next winter. AC adding YYZ-OGG, YUL-HNL and YYC-HNL from December onwards.

Got a kick out of them only listing the MAX as a "Boeing 737" in the release but fully writing out "Boeing 787 Dreamliner".
Old May 12, 2021, 7:50 am

More Hawaii coming next winter. AC adding YYZ-OGG, YUL-HNL and YYC-HNL from December onwards.

Got a kick out of them only listing the MAX as a "Boeing 737" in the release but fully writing out "Boeing 787 Dreamliner".
Interesting. So YYC gets daily Hawaii service, but 3 days it's to HNL. And all on 7M8s. Blech. Last year at one point they had 333s on YYC-OGG, that was nice.

And every Hawaii-western Canada flight is overnight. Again, blech. Will take WS on the 789 or connect in the US for a daytime route.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting. So YYC gets daily Hawaii service, but 3 days it's to HNL. And all on 7M8s. Blech. Last year at one point they had 333s on YYC-OGG, that was nice.

And every Hawaii-western Canada flight is overnight. Again, blech. Will take WS on the 789 or connect in the US for a daytime route.
I'd prefer an earlier AC depart time YYC-OGG as while a mid-afternoon time allows for more connections from YEG, it also lands you past 7 PM upon arrival and with often picking up rental car, getting to a condo, going for essential groceries, etc. it can make for a hectic first few hours in paradise. The YVR flight to OGG lands even later at 9 PM.

FWIW I've never minded the overnights on return.

Regardless I hope the planes are full this Winter.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Looks like nonstop HNL-YYZ has been pulled for xmas time.
Replaced with HNL-YYC-YYZ, both on 737max - yeah thats equivalent to a nonstop 787....
Old May 12, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Looks like nonstop HNL-YYZ has been pulled for xmas time.
Replaced with HNL-YYC-YYZ, both on 737max - yeah thats equivalent to a nonstop 787....
A press release from this morning says AC intends to fly YYZ-HNL 3x weekly on Mon, Fri, Sun on a 787 from December 17.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Tough arrival time for AC530 YYZ-OGG as car rental facilities are normally closing by 23:00. Arrival time also equates to 04:15 EST making it a long day to stay awake and adjust to Hawai'i time.
AC531 OGG-YYZ is fantastic: get onboard sleep a standard Hawai'i night for 6 hours, then wake up around noon EST and good to go for the remainder of the daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.