FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Does anyone voluntarily take NA red-eyes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1794686-does-anyone-voluntarily-take-na-red-eyes.html)

Bartolo Oct 5, 2016 4:23 am

I did LAX-YYZ red eye for many years. I would catch a couple of hrs of sleep and then go to work. Seats were brutal but the rest was okay. Don't want to be that uncomfortable anymore. Then AC added one flight a day with pods..... no going back to the red eye.

pewpew Oct 5, 2016 4:33 am

I used to take the YYZ-YEG red-eye (and I call it a red-eye because it arrived way late) all the time. I found that the hardest part was sleeping on the flight; I just couldn't do it. Even getting home at 2am, I was fine to wake up at 7 or 8 or 9am.

Talking about the other direction, YEG-YYZ was a bit more difficult to manage, but I guess it would be comparable to staying up late to study. It sucks the next day, but it's not impossible to survive

But then, I have an advantage over all of you: youth :cool:

:D! Oct 5, 2016 4:37 am

Taking a YVR-YYZ red-eye is more or less the same as staying up until 3am on Sunday night/Monday morning and then having to get up for work at 7am.

Or staying up late for a project deadline, or whatever.

For whatever reason every few weeks I end up having a night with less than 3 hours of sleep. It's no problem as long as I get a full proper sleep the night before and the night after, and therefore doing this sort of red-eye once in a while is also no problem.

BlondeBomber Oct 5, 2016 5:41 am

I used to regularly do this and enjoy it. I would leave at midnight from YYC and get into YYZ or YOW (via YYZ) early enough to spend all day in meetings then head back after the work day arriving home roughly at midnight. No hotel required, away from home for shortest possible time--sometimes a good thing.

I don't do it as much these days as it is harder on me now and they no longer serve Drambuie:eek: The redeye meal was cold, delicious, fast and with a lovely chocolate dessert, black coffee and Drambuie, I could get 2.5 hours uninterrupted sleep that way (front cabin of course--I wouldn't do it in the back). Lately, the breakfast service disturbs all that so I don't find myself getting as much sleep.

Plumber Oct 5, 2016 7:06 am

I, too, used to take red-eyes in NA quite frequently.. From SFO, LAX or YVR to YYZ and then on to YOW. Also have done it through ORD, MSP and DTW.

But now i avoid those like the plague. Only under extenuating circumstances will I now take a NA red-eye flight. And never in Y.

It was much easier in my younger years.....now, just not worth it.

N1120A Oct 5, 2016 7:11 am

My wife and I fly redeyes all the time, especially LAX-YYZ and LAX-JFK-YYZ. They are pretty useful for me, getting a full day of work in California, or for her to get a full day in back in KW.

canopus27 Oct 5, 2016 7:48 am

I can sleep in a pod on long hauls, but North American red-eyes are (a) too short to get a decent sleep, and (b) I don't like to "waste" my upgrades on a relatively short (<8 hours) flight, so I'm generally stuck in a seat (not a pod).

As a result, I barely get any decent sleep on a red-eye, and then I find I'm just non-functional the next day ... and so that defeats the purpose of taking the red-eye in the first place.

Of course there are exceptions, but whenever possible I will fly during the day, and work on the plane ... that becomes my work day. I can then get a decent night's sleep, and I'm fully functional the next day, too.

BTW, I prefer taking the day-tripper when flying to the UK for the exact same reason.

yyznomad Oct 5, 2016 10:20 am

Deleted.

agjil Oct 5, 2016 10:24 am

I take AC156 on a regular basis.
If I'm not already booked in J, I always use my eUpgrade points on this flight for the lie-flat bed.
As others already said, the flight is not long enough to get enough sleep, but if I skip the meal I can manage to sleep for about 4 hours, and usually 4 hours of sleep is the minimum sleep I need to operate functionally the next day, so it barely works out for me.
At the end, I'm happy that I don't need to waste a day flying from the west to the east.

ridefar Oct 5, 2016 10:25 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27306507)
I've eaten full-sized, full-bodied, dead, scorpions (arachnids!), ants, locusts (including them beady eyes), and silkworm cocoons. On purpose. I've accidently ingested dead coffin flies only because I don't look before I take a swig of my scotch. Once you do this, finding a bug in your meal isn't that bad after all. ;)

Or go live in Africa for a few months!

Your post is likely in the wrong place, but after reading it, I couldn't help but think of eating Mupani worms. Yum. (Seriously.)

Symmetre Oct 5, 2016 11:25 am

I do red-eyes from time to time. At one point in life, many years ago, I did them every week. It's like anything else, you get used to it.

Adam Smith Oct 5, 2016 11:28 am

Only NA redeye I've taken is OGG-YYC, which barely qualifies since it's almost long enough to get some sleep.

Other than that, YYC-YYZ etc, I've never done and plan not to do. I have extreme difficulty sleeping on planes. With couple of Ambien, I can get 4-5 hours on a TATL or TPAC, and I can at least function somewhat the next day. But it still takes me a long time to fall asleep, so on something like YYC-YYZ, I might get an hour. I'm just not productive the next day.

What I've done on a number of occasions is take the last YYC-YYZ of the day (arriving ~1-1:30AM), or a slightly earlier one if I have time, checked in to the Sheraton at T3, and then continued my journey in the morning. I might only get 4-5 hours of sleep there, but it's infinitely better for my productivity the next day than not sleeping on the redeye.

yyznomad Oct 5, 2016 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 27306532)
Your post is likely in the wrong place, but after reading it, I couldn't help but think of eating Mupani worms. Yum. (Seriously.)

Frick. I posted that in the bug in J meal thread but it somehow got here. This all happened during the Ft hiccup today. Anyway, I put deleted in the above post.

(Mods if you could help clean up that would be appreciated - including removing these posts if need be)

vernonc Oct 5, 2016 12:39 pm

I take red eyes all the time, I have done at least 10 this year not including TPAC connections. Mostly because I can sleep on planes after a day of meetings and a couple of stiff scotches. Approx 50% of my red eyes have been in Y. I arrive home, spend some time with my family, sleep a couple of hours and work the rest of the day. I take the red eyes so I have more time at home. I can catch up on sleep in my king bed, watch TV on my big screen, drink some premium liquor and sometimes my wife sits on my lap while watching TV. My dog is ecstatic when I get home too. Worth it to get home quicker. Beats all travel incl J :-)

eastcoastcan Oct 5, 2016 1:07 pm

I've done SFO->YYZ redeye a few times this year but only when it was the 767. Drink bottle of water, take melatonin, slept like a baby. Probably snagged 4 hours which isn't much less than the TATLs I have been doing this year. I probably get 5 on those.