FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Does anyone voluntarily take NA red-eyes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1794686-does-anyone-voluntarily-take-na-red-eyes.html)

Jasper2009 Oct 4, 2016 3:40 pm

Does anyone voluntarily take NA red-eyes?

Just curious: Does anyone voluntarily take the NA red-eye flights?

I don't mind flying and have done 30-60h of continuous travelling on various occasions and am capable of being reasonably productive upon arrival, but taking a YEG-YYZ red-eye (or similar) with 2h of sleep at best followed by a regular, busy day just sucks the life out of me.

24left Oct 4, 2016 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27303140)

I don't mind flying and have done 30-60h of continuous travelling on various occasions and am capable of being reasonably productive upon arrival, but taking a YEG-YYZ red-eye (or similar) with 2h of sleep at best followed by a regular, busy day just sucks the life out of me.

As you know, AC 156 is no better, IMHO. My recent batch were 3 hours 39, 3 hours 32 mins and similar for the others. No way did I get more than a 2-hour nap on one of them, barely slept on the others. Just not long enough, for me anyway. Looked around the cabin and I guess the other guys seem to have mastered the sleep-nap thing. A few never slept.

Productivity was -100 for that day. But that's just me. :D

canadiancow Oct 4, 2016 3:54 pm

I want to spend the weekend in YYZ.

Option 1: Take Friday off (large monetary cost), which allows full day Saturday and Sunday, optionally with Friday dinner at the expense of waking up super early on Friday for the 7am flight, otherwise the 11am.
Option 2: Take the 7am Saturday morning flight. I have to wake up really early, I get dinner Saturday, and all day Sunday.
Option 3: Take a Friday red-eye, go straight to bed when I land, and I'm good for a late Saturday lunch and the rest of the weekend.

The only way the red-eye works for me is having a few hours of sleep upon landing.

If I had a billion dollars, would I do it? No. But I don't, so I have to weigh my options and choose what works best, which is always the red-eye for a two day weekend, and often the red-eye for a three day weekend.

jaysona Oct 4, 2016 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27303140)

All the time. ^

segacs Oct 4, 2016 3:56 pm

Eastbound or westbound? It matters.

24left Oct 4, 2016 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by segacs (Post 27303217)

OP wrote "YEG-YYZ red-eye"

I assumed the theme was west-east, thus my AC 156. I'm just as bad on red-eye's to Europe. All the TPACs I fly make Europe flights feel like Rapidair.

Jasper2009 Oct 4, 2016 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 27303208)
I want to spend the weekend in YYZ.

Option 1: Take Friday off (large monetary cost), which allows full day Saturday and Sunday, optionally with Friday dinner at the expense of waking up super early on Friday for the 7am flight, otherwise the 11am.
Option 2: Take the 7am Saturday morning flight. I have to wake up really early, I get dinner Saturday, and all day Sunday.
Option 3: Take a Friday red-eye, go straight to bed when I land, and I'm good for a late Saturday lunch and the rest of the weekend.

The only way the red-eye works for me is having a few hours of sleep upon landing.

If I had a billion dollars, would I do it? No. But I don't, so I have to weigh my options and choose what works best, which is always the red-eye for a two day weekend, and often the red-eye for a three day weekend.

Good points. I guess the "sleep a few hours upon arrival" strategy works great if you're flying somewhere for the weekend (for leisure).

I could also see myself doing something similar when flying onwards to the Caribbean, e.g. YEG-YYZ-BGI and sleep 2-3h on each flight.

Jasper2009 Oct 4, 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by segacs (Post 27303217)

Afaik AC only operates eastbound red-eye flights within NA, e.g. LAX/YVR/YEG/YYC-YYZ/YUL.

rehoult Oct 4, 2016 4:02 pm

Yes, when I'm trying to minimize time away from home. I can do meetings on the east coast and still be home to put my kids to bed if I fly out on 146.

Sean Peever Oct 4, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes, when I find out mid-day (around 2pm) that I need to be in Toronto Saturday morning it's the only choice.

Jumper Jack Oct 4, 2016 4:07 pm

If my last exam is at night.. yes I will take the red eye back.
I just dont think I will get a good sleep if I have to catch an early morning flight next day anyways.

airstream74 Oct 4, 2016 4:08 pm

I do most of the time from YYC or YEG. I will generally take a shower in the MLL upon arrival.

I do it because I don't like burning a day flying east.

songsc Oct 4, 2016 4:12 pm

I usually take AC156/162 right after taking AC8 from HKG. I find this way I can easily overcome jet lag. I can easily have a good night of sleep on AC8, then spend the "morning" in YVR, then try to take a 3 hour "nap" on AC156. On the following day I can be productive till around 4pm, which is good enough I think. Also, arriving YYZ early in the morning is better than arriving late around midnight for me.

I have seen people somehow managed to put their feet on the footrest with seat in the upright position, and they sleep from gate to gate. If they board early that will get them about 5.5 hours of sleep, that's probably enough.

Also, sometimes I really wish I can sleep on the airplane for a couple more hours after arriving in YYZ. The aircraft for 156 usually becomes AC105 which departs at 10, so I guess it's ok if I stay on the aircraft till 8? :D

canadiancow Oct 4, 2016 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27303244)
Afaik AC only operates eastbound red-eye flights within NA, e.g. LAX/YVR/YEG/YYC-YYZ/YUL.

Don't forget YYC-YOW :)

yvr_amm Oct 4, 2016 4:19 pm

I used to do it every second week from Vancouver to Chicago/Milwaukee. Like someone else said (cow?) I found it worked when I did:

YVR-YYZ - shower at YYZ then
YYZ-MKE/CHI - get a good nap on that flight.

That second short nap after a shower and I seemed good to go when hitting the office at 9:30am...

Getting off the YVR-YYZ redeye and trying to work a full day sucks.