FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Does anyone voluntarily take NA red-eyes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1794686-does-anyone-voluntarily-take-na-red-eyes.html)

Transpacificflyer Oct 4, 2016 6:53 pm

YVR-YYZ/YUL always on the uncomfortable AB 320 series. Sometimes in Y, sometimes in J. Not my choice, but when there are IROPS connecting from an Asian flight in YVR and I cannot get on the earlier flights, I get shunted to the red eye. I dislike them.The AB is not my choice for sleeping. I don't even like the pods because there is such little room.

The one positive is that the FAs want to sleep as much as the pax so they do a quick snack/drink service.

jaysona Oct 4, 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Orcair (Post 27303826)
I took AC198 (YVR-YUL) voluntarily to get to uni this year and I didn't find it as bad as I thought I would. That being said, they left the lights on in Y for the first 1.5-2 hours which really killed any possibility of sleeping for any length of time.

AC198 is probably one of my favorite red-eye flights to take. Late enough departure that I'll be fairly tired, long enough to get a decent amount of sleep and doesn't arrive so early in the morning that I have to find a way to kill time before going to work/out. ^

Wpgjetse Oct 4, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by segacs (Post 27303217)
Eastbound or westbound? It matters.

Is there a red eye in North American flying westbound? There isn't one in Canada.

gregster Oct 4, 2016 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse (Post 27303884)
Is there a red eye in North American flying westbound? There isn't one in Canada.

AC151 somewhat qualifies, leaving YYZ at 2300 and arriving in YVR at 0030.

gregster Oct 4, 2016 7:12 pm

I've never been able to get over that nasty feeling upon arrival, no matter how well you sleep onboard. Therefore I avoid them if possible, but I have found they can really help with resetting your body clock if you limit yourself to a short nap after arrival.

As others have mentioned, redeyes can be a better use of time, and I'd take one over a 5 or 6 AM departure.

24left Oct 4, 2016 7:12 pm

Looking at a number of my flights that were not typical west-east red-eyes....

All of my ANC-DFW flights were 6 hours. Was out cold just after sitting down. Slept either the entire flight or woke up once. And I slept really well on each one. In coach. On a single-aisle 757. Hmmmm, I need to figure this out.....

hazcaddy Oct 4, 2016 7:19 pm

Yup, trying to delete posts, how??? :confused:

Wpgjetse Oct 4, 2016 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by gregster (Post 27303903)

Take that flight 2 to 3X per year. Not even close to a red Eye.

gregster Oct 4, 2016 7:22 pm

I doubt you'll find many later westbounds, partly due to noise restrictions at most airports.

hazcaddy Oct 4, 2016 7:28 pm

I spent 9/11 in one of those numbered areas north of Vegas. Late on the Friday we were done with our terrorism training course. After spending 3 days stuck in Vegas after that, I was glad to accept from a different airline (everybody was accepting each other's tickets) a red-eye from LAS to DTW, the closest could get to YYZ (my wife picked me up there). That was a voluntary red-eye I was delighted to take.

Sometimes reality kicks you in the butt and lets you know what is and isn't a hardship...

Wpgjetse Oct 4, 2016 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by gregster (Post 27303948)
I doubt you'll find many later westbounds, partly due to noise restrictions at most airports.

That's why there is no westbound red eye flights in Canada. Plus the time zone changes make it impossible.

hazcaddy Oct 4, 2016 7:30 pm

[deleted] .....

hazcaddy Oct 4, 2016 7:33 pm

Deleted

yyznomad Oct 4, 2016 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by gregster (Post 27303903)

This is not a redeye.

yyznomad Oct 4, 2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy (Post 27303933)
Yup, trying to delete posts, how??? :confused:

You can't.