Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Fake service dogs on board AC flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eracerblue
In all likelihood, airlines may be nervous about dealing with this issue firsthand. In lieu of this, perhaps we can formulate a step by step guide for pax significantly bothered by a dog, similar to how people choose to confront pax not using headphones, etc. THIS IS A DRAFT, OPEN FOR ALTERATION (NOT SUGGESTED FOR USE AT THIS TIME).

Pax procedure:
1. Sees an unruly dog, suspecting it is not a real ESA or service animal
2. "Hi, cute dog you have there, is he a service animal?"
3a. "Cool an ESA - just so you know, ESA's really aren't permitted off leash or out of kennel unless beside you or on your lap, as it defeats the purpose. Even service dogs don't get to wander. I know you're legit, but I have a friend with an ESA and they say how people overstepping their rights make everyone look bad." Ask to see their BP if you're ballsy, which would generally say MEDA, not PETC.
3b. "Cool - service animals are expected to remain 'on duty', and it seems he may not be"
4. "I understand, but the only reason a service animal should be off leash and away from handler is because you are having an episode and he's going for help. You probably don't want someone calling emergency services unnecessarily." FYI This BP may say MEDA, maybe nothing.
5. Politely remove yourself.
6. If situation persists, inform MLL staff.
7. If you feel confident the dog is being masqueraded as a service dog, and you feel empowered for someone to have a very bad day, find the airport's non-emergency police line...
ALTERNATIVE PAX PROCEDURE:
1. "Hi, are you okay???!!"
2. "I was really worried and I have called emergency services. In <insert your state/province> the only reason a service animal of any type would be away from their owner is if they were trying to call for help. Are you sure you're ok?"

There's likely poor training for staff on this issue. A staff process should be something like:

1. Dog comes in off leash, or pax not holding harness
a. Is your dog required because of a disability? If yes, What work is it trained to perform?
b. Given satisfactory answers, but unsatisfactory appearance (no vest/harness) or behaviour of dog, lightly inform pax that authorities have been called in prior instances if the animal acts in untrained manner (eg wandering around the lounge). It is a public area, and the dog must remain "on duty".
c. In addition a service animal would have been registered ahead of time and would be indicated on the BP/ticket remarks. If it's not, then it's not a service animal and should never be off leash or harness.

2. Dog comes in on leash/harness
Same as above, though obviously can add the: should remain on leash bit.

3. Dog comes in in carry-on kennel
a. "That's a cute pet you have! Just so you know, our policy is X" (which requires your pet to stay in its kennel while in the food area, whatever)
b. Pax says it's an emotional support dog. "In that case, while outside of the cafeteria area, you can have it on leash or on your lap. But if it's wandering around you may be asked to leave.

And in the cases where there's an issue with a claimed service animal:
a. Check BP/ticket remarks
b. Remind pax that dog must remain on duty/in carrier etc as appropriate
c. Inform/remind pax that it is an offence to pass as a service dog
d. Call authorities

Or something like that. Pretty basic stuff.... although maybemployees thought they'd only be interacting with the well behaved pax?
Print Wikipost

Fake service dogs on board AC flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
SO now that Delta has announced new policies for ESA and sounds like perhaps AA will follow suit, lets see if AC does so too.
Delta Cracking Down on Emotional Support Animals - View from the Wing
Pretty much what I suggested upthread - get the pax to sign a letter accepting expectations of behavior. Delta is also requiring advance documentation incl doctors note, vaccination proof etc.
Lets hope AC follows suit and more importantly enforces it.
Maybe we should have gate agents spend less time doing the silly luggage check, and more time dealing with the dogs, determining distress, dialling into the diagnosis...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Looks like Delta is now clamping down on the service animal abuse. Hopefully all other air carriers follow suit.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Thus far I only saw ESAs in the lounge..... guess I am lucky.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Thus far I only saw ESAs in the lounge..... guess I am lucky.
Ignorance is bliss.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ignorance is bliss.
To be fair, they are MUCH more common on _domestic_ US flights than anything I've ever flown on AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.