FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Fake service dogs on board AC flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1793951-fake-service-dogs-board-ac-flight.html)

InTheAirGuy Sep 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Fake service dogs on board AC flight?

I'm on a flight and it seems possible someone might have a service dog that isn't really a service dog.

Is it possible for someone to board with a nifty and fake service dog vest?

Doc Savage Sep 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Of course.

Lots of examples cited in these pages.

yyz_atc_qq Sep 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy (Post 27286098)
I'm on a flight and it seems possible someone might have a service dog that isn't really a service dog.

What type of service dog are you assuming it is? There are all sorts... even ones that can detect the early onset of seizures/strokes. The person with the dog looks normal enough (not blind or deaf or anything like that).

s0ssos Sep 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq (Post 27286127)
What type of service dog are you assuming it is? There are all sorts... even ones that can detect the early onset of seizures/strokes. The person with the dog looks normal enough (not blind or deaf or anything like that).

I'm missing the photo.

Dorian Sep 30, 2016 6:08 pm

I've had a St. Bernard in my aisle in domestic J as an anxiety service dog (not mine).

BlueMilk Sep 30, 2016 6:11 pm

You can't show up at the airport with a dog, slap a vest on it, and expect to board.

AC requires 48 hours notice and, in the case of emotional support animals, documentation from a licensed mental health professional.

Only dogs are allowed as emotional support animals.

There is growing use of support animals in the community, but that doesn't mean people are abusing airlines' rules because people fly with them.

Transpacificflyer Sep 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Please heed the old saying of let sleeping dogs lie.
It's not of your business, is it? Seriously, why are you sticking your nose into this? Air Canada requires that service animals be registered a minimum 24 hours prior to a flight and this requires calling reservations. If there is no dossier on the customer than the reservation agent will often if not always ask for evidence that the animal is a CERTIFIED service animal. Happy?

Here's a suggestion to better use your time. Monitor the passengers. Watch them as attentively as you watched the passenger and the dog. If any picks his/her nose, please come and inform everyone as you are doing here, because I believe it is equally important.

The clucking, sighing and finger shaking that will follow will truly fix this.

And if anyone is shocked by my comment I draw your attention to the following well publicized AC position on "emotional support" animals.

Dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals
If you wish to travel with a dog* as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you will need to ensure that your animal is harnessed. You must also provide supporting documentation in the form of an original letter on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g. a psychologist, psychiatrist or licensed clinical social worker), dated within one year of your departure date.

The letter must confirm that:
You have a mental or emotional disability recognized by the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)
You need your dog for emotional or psychiatric support during travel and/or at destination
The person who prepared the document is a licensed mental health professional
You are currently under the care of the licensed mental health professional who prepared the document

The letter must also provide information on the mental health professional’s license (i.e. type of licence, date issued, and issuing authority).*NOTE: Air Canada does not accept animals other than dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals.

yyz_atc_qq Sep 30, 2016 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk (Post 27286323)
AC requires 48 hours notice

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 27286327)
Air Canada requires that service animals be registered 24 hours prior to a flight

Not that it really changes whether or not the OP witnessed a genuine service animal or not.... but is it 24 or 48 hours?

YEGTigger Sep 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq (Post 27286341)
Not that it really changes whether or not the OP witnessed a genuine service animal or not.... but is it 24 or 48 hours?

48, but for some destinations it is 72. The list of 72 hour destinations is included on the Service Animals page on AC.com.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ceanimals.html

For all other itineraries, if you plan on travelling with a service animal, we require that you:

Inform Air Canada Reservations at least 48 hours prior to departure. However, we will make every effort to accommodate requests made within that time frame.
Be at the airport for check-in at least one extra hour ahead of the recommended check-in time

yyz_atc_qq Sep 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by YEGTigger (Post 27286689)
48, but for some destinations it is 72. The list of 72 hour destinations is included on the Service Animals page on AC.com.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ceanimals.html

Actually after reading that info, it's 48hrs.

The 72hr requirement is if you want a seat with additional floor space (aka bulkhead or similar)

*EDIT*

Well after re-reading the page, it leads me to think I was correct above, but if I click the 72hr link it makes me think I'm not.... who knows.

krayZpaving Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm

I understood AC also doesn't accept emotional support service animals on domestic routes, but due to US law is required to do so on US routes. (Heard of someone flying YYZ-YVR via SEA on two separate tickets for that reason)

InTheAirGuy Sep 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Well I will provide more info after I left some sleep, but did transpacific flyer have a really awful day or something? What an unbelievably snarky response to an innocent question!

yyznomad Oct 1, 2016 12:43 am

So are we saying that I can bring my self-appointed service mongoose? While it at it, I'll diagnose myself with Adjustment Disorder; Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood. I'll throw in some Chronic PTSD.

CanRulez Oct 1, 2016 12:49 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 27287225)
So are we saying that I can bring my self-appointed service mongoose? While it at it, I'll diagnose myself with Adjustment Disorder; Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood. I'll throw in some Chronic PTSD.

Stolen from the quote above:

NOTE: Air Canada does not accept animals other than dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals.

yyznomad Oct 1, 2016 12:51 am

Originally Posted by CanRulez (Post 27287230)
Stolen from the quote above:

NOTE: Air Canada does not accept animals other than dogs as emotional support or psychiatric service animals.

Hey, if one rule seemingly can be broken, why not the others? ;)