Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Announces Toronto-Mumbai 787 Dreamliner Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Announces Toronto-Mumbai 787 Dreamliner Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
If you just want to open up Canada for cheap air tickets, then we should open up Canada for every industry. I could save a lot more on my IT costs then my travel cost if this happened.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:49 pm

Why? How much traffic is there to the middle east? If you just want to open up Canada for cheap air tickets, then we should open up Canada for every industry. I could save a lot more on my IT costs then my travel cost if this happened.
But of course. And we would stand beside you.

We would even let AC buy cheaper blankets from China. Oh, wait...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So lets get this straight
Air Canada should be free to shuttle people between USA and Mumbai via a 3rd city - However, ME3 should be banned from transporting people Between Canada and Mumbai via a 3rd city

Even our resident AC SD confirmed that most of the people on their TLV-YYZ flights, continue onwards to the USA.

By your warped logic, there should be a limit on YYZ-TLV flights because there is not enough traffic and AC resorts to flying people from a 3rd country (USA).
There is nothing wrong with connecting traffic, but the bilaterals are based on origin-destination traffic.

There IS a limit on the number of YYZ-TLV flights.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/israel

It's not as if Air Canada is free to fly as much as they want to the UAE but Emirates is blocked from flying into Canada.

It's tit-for-tat, and Air Canada doesn't want Emirates flying an a380 to every Canadian city, when they have no need to fly to the UAE, because there is realistically no OD market other than connecting traffic.

This is how it works.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by keitherson
This is how it works.
We all know how it works.

AC is very happy with current outdated bilaterals and fought vigourosly to keep the govt from negotiating new ones. At the cost of billions to taxpayers no less with the base snafu, all to subsidize AC with protectionism.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:12 pm

AC is very happy with current outdated bilaterals and fought vigourosly to keep the govt from negotiating new ones. At the cost of billions to taxpayers no less with the base snafu, all to subsidize AC with protectionism.
And the ME3 are just as subsidized by their own governments.

How is keeping the ME3 out costing billions to taxpayers? That they can't get a cheap ticket to Africa to line the Sheik shareholders and instead have to spend the money on a domestic carrier that employs Canadians?
I don't really know if that's the case, since you just used the example of Air Canada being able to fly USA-Canada-XXX as an example of why Emirates should be able to fly Canada-Dubai-XXX. They are extremely different.

One is enabled by open skies treaty with the US, the other is limited by bilateral negotiations.

It's like saying, because with have NAFTA, therefore, we should sign an immediate FTA with all other countries. It's only fair!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

It's not a subsidize to AC, but a protection to the Canadian economy. Almost every industry in Canada/World has import restriction on manufacturing and services protection Canadian jobs..
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
How is keeping the ME3 out costing billions to taxpayers? That they can't get a cheap ticket to Africa to line the Sheik shareholders and instead have to spend the money on a domestic carrier that employs Canadians?
How is keeping Samsung out costing billions to taxpayers? That they can't get a better/cheaper phone to line the Korean shareholders and instead have to spend the money on Blackberry that employs Canadians?

How is keeping the Walmart out costing billions to taxpayers? That they can't get cheaper groceries to line the American shareholders and instead have to spend the money on a Loblaws that employs Canadians?

How is keeping Boeing/Airbus out costing billions to AC? That they can't get a cheaper/better plane to line the US/EU shareholders and instead have to spend the money on Bombardier that employs Canadians?

To be clear, your argument lacks merit. Why? If we used your logic across the board, we would be much, much worse off.

As for FTAs, since NAFTA we've been pursuing FTAs just about everywhere from CARICOM to the EU to the Dominican Republic. So...why not?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:12 pm

It's not a subsidize to AC, but a protection to the Canadian economy. Almost every industry in Canada/World has import restriction on manufacturing and services protection Canadian jobs..
What's the import restriction on Apple phones? Or Nike shoes? I'm genuinely curious.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yulred
What's the import restriction on Apple phones? Or Nike shoes? I'm genuinely curious.
Duties? except on NAFT goods.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:37 pm

Duties? except on NAFT goods.
I see. So you're using duties and quotas as interchangeable.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
You're missing YVR-LHR at ~4100nm and YVR-BNE at ~6388nm
Also YYZ-HND at 5592.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
The people who argue most strongly on the internet for totally free open markets with no borders tend to be those people who naively think they will actually be the "winners" in such a situation.

(Hint: they won't.)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:56 pm
Suspended

I see. So you're using duties and quotas as interchangeable.
Quotas? Quota was usually talked about regarding clothing and the government stop using the quota system years age. Duties were set up to increase the cost imported goods, giving domestic manufactures a price advantage(in theory). IE, same as restricting ME# airlines. Plus, ME3 airline are fully subsidized by their government and I do not want Canadian airlines subsidized.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:57 pm

How is keeping Samsung out costing billions to taxpayers? That they can't get a better/cheaper phone to line the Korean shareholders and instead have to spend the money on Blackberry that employs Canadians?

How is keeping the Walmart out costing billions to taxpayers? That they can't get cheaper groceries to line the American shareholders and instead have to spend the money on a Loblaws that employs Canadians?

How is keeping Boeing/Airbus out costing billions to AC? That they can't get a cheaper/better plane to line the US/EU shareholders and instead have to spend the money on Bombardier that employs Canadians?

To be clear, your argument lacks merit. Why? If we used your logic across the board, we would be much, much worse off.

As for FTAs, since NAFTA we've been pursuing FTAs just about everywhere from CARICOM to the EU to the Dominican Republic. So...why not?
I'd rather not turn this thread into a debate over free market vs protectionism because there's clearly not changing minds on this issue.

FYI there are duties on a lot of imports, including Samsung phones. And Boeing and Airbus employs many Canadians, as does Walmart CANADA. They are Canadian divisions of US companies with Canadian management.
Originally Posted by zorn
The people who argue most strongly on the internet for totally free open markets with no borders tend to be those people who naively think they will actually be the "winners" in such a situation.

Agreed.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by zorn

Might want to dust off your ECON 101 book (or purchase one).

Adam Smith (the real one, not the FT version) is very clear about who the 'winners' of free trade are: consumers. That is to say, the vast, vast majority of the population. Not a handful of 'naive' people. I think history has proven that, while not perfect, it's a lot better than the mercantilist stuff being spouted in favour of protectionism.

How well off are we with dairy supply management? (For the record, AC compared air travel to dairy supply management, not me)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.