Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Non-Stop Montreal-Shanghai Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to Launch Non-Stop Montreal-Shanghai Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Will meals be served in Y? And BTW, this route will not last as most people from YUL fly to the islands or maybe Europe.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:09 am

Great for AC and YUL.
IMO asking a lot at daily year-round.
Winter freq reductions down the line would not shock in the least.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:28 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Will meals be served in Y? And BTW, this route will not last as most people from YUL fly to the islands or maybe Europe.
Will meals be served in Y on a 14 hour flight?? You must be joking, right??

The Air China Beijing-Montreal flight is already surpassing expectations, so the new route to Shanghai is expected to do the same.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Excellent news for Montreal. And as anyone in the city can attest, the growing east asian communities that have made Greater Montreal home will keep this route afloat. I do agree that daily service might be a bit ambitious. 'Bout time we got a 787!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by adam.smith
What a small-minded and irrelevant thing to say.
It appears you haven't been here long enough to recall several long and tedious YUL vs YYC passenger number debates between Sebring and others on this and another airline forum.
Also, omitting the appropriate emoji generally means that some readers will take everything they read literally. I will accept that risk, as I dislike using them.

Originally Posted by segacs
Montreal metro area has 4 million people. Calgary metro area has 1.5 million. Not sure why you're so annoyed that there are more flights out of Montreal.
In the debates I referenced above, I advocated on behalf of Montreal. Plenty of digital ink was spilled analyzing metro populations, alternate transportation options, competition from other airports, the health of local economies, hub vs focus cities ad infinitum. I'm the furthest from annoyed about this announcement.

Congrats to YUL on a new and hopefully profitable route.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:12 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Always nice to see new flights at your home airport. I see the arrivals when the wind is right from my yard, can't wait to see the 787 on a regular basis!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:17 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It appears you haven't been here long enough to recall several long and tedious YUL vs YYC passenger number debates between Sebring and others on this and another airline forum.
Also, omitting the appropriate emoji generally means that some readers will take everything they read literally. I will accept that risk, as I dislike using them.
Your reply is even more small minded and irrelevant than your original post.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Woohoo! I guess that 10-year Chinese visa in my passport is one step closer to getting more use. Last summer I did a Beijing to Kashgar trip; next time perhaps I'll start in Shanghai and see eastern China.

Off to traveldream...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by CT1
Your reply is even more small minded and irrelevant than your original post.
I'm sorry...who are you???

Perhaps you and Adam could ask questions, rather than leap to smashingly erroneous conclusions. If you'd like to clarify my intent, please feel free to ask - publicly or via PM as you wish. I'll go out on a limb and assume you're well past playground age, so let's leave the name-calling there, shall we?

Did you read or participate in the YUL v YYC debates? I admit, many of them occurred on another site, of which the OP and I are longtime members. My original comment was directed his way, not yours.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
The only way I can imagine this route being viable is with a lot of connecting 6th freedom traffic out of the US.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by The Lev
The only way I can imagine this route being viable is with a lot of connecting 6th freedom traffic out of the US.
It will be the Shuta business express to China. Cargo could be the most profitable thing on this route.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Indeed, and that's been an AC focus for years now: establishing themselves as the carrier of choice to connect secondary US airports to Europe & Asia (and also using YYZ as a connecting point for Asia-South America routes).

I'm sure there will be a concerted effort to advertise the service to Shanghai in places like BOS, LGA, PHL, DCA, BDL, MIA...

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Sep 23, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
It will be the Shuta business express to China. Cargo could be the most profitable thing on this route.
THIS. I wouldn't be too surprised if they could make a profit on this route even flying planes half empty of pax.

Of course, expect low baggage allowances.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Called it.
Hopefully this would mean further decline in YYZ-PVG J price.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Called it.
Hopefully this would mean further decline in YYZ-PVG J price.
Most likely not, but I would think it will lower Y fares in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.