Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Trying desperately to book flights shown on United through Aeroplan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Hey guys I need some help here!

I found some great flights using United's website that I then figured I could call Aeroplan to book for the quoted prices.

When I call they offer me the same flight but at a significantly more expensive price.

What's going on? I was under the impression that if I called Aeroplan and asked for the specific flight I could avoid the unnecessary surcharges?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
No, the surcharges are the same whether you book online or on the phone. Calling in just allows you to (sometimes) access availability that isn't shown online. The surcharges shown on United's website are the surcharges applicable in United's MileagePlus program, Aeroplan's surcharges are higher for many flights and that doesn't change when you call in.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You are using Aeroplan points. You pay under aeroplan's rules.

What they charge over at United does not apply to you.

>> What's going on? I was under the impression that if I called Aeroplan and asked for the specific flight I could avoid the unnecessary surcharges?

What "unnecessary surcharges" ? Phone booking charge? Fuel/Airline surcharge?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Lava Kanji
Hey guys I need some help here!
Is this who I think it is? If so, hi and ping me on Facebook.

Anyway, yeah, pretty much what the others said. Aeroplan charges higher prices than MileagePlus for a lot of these flights. If Aeroplan points are what you've got, you're pretty much SoL.

Best bet to maximize the value of your points is to book on an airline without YQ (fuel surcharge) wherever possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.