Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feeling even better now about not making super elite next year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by transportprof
Smoking in the cockpit seems to be normal on China Eastern. As is denying it to the pax.

See:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-crew-smoking/
Well.. damn Now i know..

Its funny because I did a search on Baidu(Chinese Google) and the only stuff I could find was news from 2012 where a pax was kicked off the flight for smoking and strong backlash from the same year where there are rumors that China Eastern FAs allow First Class Pax to smoke.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 17, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I have never been Super Elite and do not care. I am not missing out on anything as I fly J class on my long hauls anyway. I even enjoy flying in the cheap seats on some of the Asian domestic short hauls because unlike AC, they still treat pax in the cheap seats with some respect and courtesy.
For some reason we constantly have threads on FT with people trying to find Aeroplan/Avios/MileagePlus/whatever awards to Bali or Chiang Mai or Phuket when in fact you can easily fly pretty well anywhere in SE Asia for <$100 on an airline that may actually treat you better than some of the big international mainline carriers. Nok Air, for example, for Thai domestic and some international flights, free checked bag, free snack, free assigned seat - on a ticket that may cost $30. But for some people, if it isn't part of a major alliance where they have or can get status, it doesn't exist.

On top of that, the Asian LCCs often have far more frequency within their area of operations than the longhaul carriers, so if something goes belly-up you are getting on another flight in 3 hours not the next day.

Last edited by eigenvector; Sep 17, 2016 at 4:31 pm
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well.. damn Now i know..

Its funny because I did a search on Baidu(Chinese Google) and the only stuff I could find was news from 2012 where a pax was kicked off the flight by a police for smoking and strong backlash from the same year where there are rumors that China Eastern FAs allow First Class Pax to smoke.
Well Jack, now you know Baidu isn't Google.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by karachi
you need to segment AC's high flying customers out.

1. business owners who use their own dime : paying premiums to fly AC does not make sense so find whatever is cheaper. otherwise figure out your own intrinsic value for flying paying 30-40% higher on AC.

2. people who fly with other peoples money : why would i want to transit in the US or anywhere else, or fly on old planes when I can take a direct flight on AC. I forgot to mention 'expensive' cause i dont care.
As a small business own, if all things being the same(direct flight/needed departure time) saving 30-40% long hual tickets is something to consider, but on a $250 to $300 flight, not so much. My benefits can save the 30-40% savings in most cases(free baggage, seats selection, MLL/scotch). Saving 1-2K on long hual flights that add hours of flying time, plus extra days of travel is not logical in my books.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
HA
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Which is why, second trip to China this year I set myself up with a VPN into my office computer.

That plus being able to read my usual newspapers and trying to ensure big brother wasn't reading behind my back...
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Which is why, second trip to China this year I set myself up with a VPN into my office computer.

That plus being able to read my usual newspapers and trying to ensure big brother wasn't reading behind my back...
Rumors are VPNs are getting cracked down soon as they who shall must not be named in China figured out the way to track and block it....

Another cheap and somewhat more or less secure way which I employed was setting up a cloud server with AliCloud in HK.. cost about 1 RMB a day with 3mbps used just by myself.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Rumors are VPNs are getting cracked down soon as they who shall must not be named in China figured out the way to track and block it....

Another cheap and somewhat more or less secure way which I employed was setting up a cloud server with AliCloud in HK.. cost about 1 RMB a day with 3mbps used just by myself.
They have already figured out how to shut many of them down. Still...
If I only had the time to be creative and have fun emailing all kinds of lunacy. Our friends in the PRC might not know what to do with the deluge. lol
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Perceptions of the quality of service of different airlines will always vary depending on individual experience.

Air Canada doesn't compete on offering a premium product at a premium price. If anything, that's the territory of the Gulf State airlines and a handful of other select ones that encourage people who can afford it to pay more for a truly superior experience.

Other than that, AC's J and Y products are either better or worse than its mainline competitors depending on the day, the aircraft chosen, your individual experience, and a host of other features that are not really part of the sales pitch and cannot be guaranteed. And it knows -- as has been said very often on this forum -- that price is the primary determinant for MOST flyers.

Being outside the hamster wheel of chasing / earning status frees you up to make decisions based on price, quality or other intangibles. It also frees you up to try different airlines and make up your own mind about the experience.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:17 pm

The above mostly represents my view as well. Heavy emphasis on personal experience but mostly on expectations. There was a thread sometime ago, or embedded in one, the preference of carries for each class and destinations. It would be great to have that updated by the frequent flyers continuously. Some of the endless arguments would disappear and the biases presented for comparisons. Sometimes discrimination is good, ie showing one's discriminating preference of a carrier.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
There was a thread sometime ago, or embedded in one, the preference of carries for each class and destinations. It would be great to have that updated by the frequent flyers continuously. Some of the endless arguments would disappear and the biases presented for comparisons.
Isn't that basically what Skytrax ratings are for?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I do a lot of Dom flying in China and the only way Chinese airlines treat the pax better in the cheap seat than AC is that they serve food(bad), but with less leg room. Flying Dom in Canada on AC is way better than flying Dom in China on any airline. Most airport lougnes in china(dom flights) are a total joke.
Why are you comparing flying in a third world country to Canada?

Originally Posted by segacs
These ratings are bought.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by keitherson

keitherson beat me to the reply. There are some posts in other threads relating to the claims airlines make about their Skytrax rankings. Also, flyers post quite the collection of rants or compliments that could easily make it another type of social media vent-fest.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
The user reviews aren't.

Air Canada: 5/10
Air Canada Rouge: 3/10
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:36 pm
Suspended

The user reviews aren't.

Air Canada: 5/10
Air Canada Rouge: 3/10
see the comment I posted above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.