Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
....Back to OP's point, I understand and would feel the same way. Especially if you've been able to appreciate the asian standard of service first hand, while travelling. I often cringe at how we could so easily learn from their exceptional customer service and avoid unnecessary dissatisfaction. I have no doubt they still manage to handle the cheaters in quite a firm and fair way...
Thank you and a point I and others have made more than once in this thread and elsewhere.

It's. Not. That. Hard.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
My 16 year old son shares the same first name as me. When he travels without me on an AE reward, they assume that he is me and he gets all the SE perks.

Ironically, he has never been challenged by an AC employee. And he certainly looks like he's 16.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Nearby Pax
Lol there were no nearby pax. I was literally the only one sitting over there. The reason I went over to the 60's gates area (I think 64 or something) is because it was a very busy Sunday with the terminal and lounge packed and I was looking for some quiet time.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by segacs
I see it as akin to using the NEXUS line for security. In those lines, they don't stop people and say "you must be in the wrong line". They simply say "Nexus?" and you flash your card and that's that. And they do that for everyone, so it's really more about providing direction than rudely discriminating.

I have never once been questioned about my NEXUS / Global Entry / TSA Precheck status, even wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt with no makeup, hair in messy bun, etc.

I don't know why AC can't do the same thing for people flying in J or with altitude status. Just ask to see the card / BP / whatever, politely, to everyone, treating everyone the same. They'll either have it or they won't. Problem solved. No discrimination, assumption or prejudice needed.
Ah yes, I got a very angry Nexus man when I accidentally joined that line instead of the correct priority line at YYZ.

Originally Posted by YOWgary
That's a bad example.

You just know the YUL concierge desk has a poor-quality, faxed photo of your face, with "HAVE YOU SEEN THIS SE" as a banner headline.

JaysonA's is a blurry security-camera photo, "WARNING - DO NOT GIVE THIS MAN A GOLF CART".
And Cow's is "DO NOT LAUGH AT THIS MAN"?
(Couldn't resist )
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
Ah yes, I got a very angry Nexus man when I accidentally joined that line instead of the correct priority line at YYZ.

(Couldn't resist )
I believe Cow's is simply "THIS MAN IS SUPER ELITE."
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by 172pilot
My 16 year old son shares the same first name as me. When he travels without me on an AE reward, they assume that he is me and he gets all the SE perks.

Ironically, he has never been challenged by an AC employee. And he certainly looks like he's 16.
And I can guarantee that he is better behaved than many SEs.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by mrooywg
I was reading through this thread, and could not help laughing to my self, as I live in a society that takes being dressed up as a sign of success.
You would love being in sillycon valley. Dressing down is a sign of success

But I totally agree with you. It's kind of sad that society? human nature? uses clothing to determine a person's status. One of the reasons why I like visiting the Rolex store in the Westfield shopping center in SF is because they treat me with dignity and respect even if I'm dressed casually

That's a bad example.

You just know the YUL concierge desk has a poor-quality, faxed photo of your face, with "HAVE YOU SEEN THIS SE" as a banner headline.

JaysonA's is a blurry security-camera photo, "WARNING - DO NOT GIVE THIS MAN A GOLF CART".
Surely at the YUL concierge desk, the signs would be en francais?

Originally Posted by jc94
(Couldn't resist )
I believe Cow's is simply "THIS MAN IS SUPER ELITE."
Wouldn't be surprised if the concierges want to troll cow and make his sign "ASK IF HE'S USING DAD'S SUPER ELITE CARD"
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by maradori
Surely at the YUL concierge desk, the signs would be en francais?
In my admittedly limited YUL experiences, I found English predominant at the airport. Maybe I just don't look French though
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Y
But I totally agree with you. It's kind of sad that society? human nature? uses clothing to determine a person's status.
But is that really the case though?

To me it seems overdressing characterizes the insecure among us.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: AC S100K
You would love being in sillycon valley. Dressing down is a sign of success

But I totally agree with you. It's kind of sad that society? human nature? uses clothing to determine a person's status.
Sad or not, I doubt many people are immune. I'm certainly not.

Airports magnify all this profiling/prejudice.

Who among us has not looked up the aisle during boarding at the line of approaching humanity--judging their fitness as seatmates by clothing, age, weight or looks?

I make all sorts of assumptions about people by looking at their luggage.

Then there's the security experience. I get the body scan about once every 50 flights. I have a colleague of a different heritage. She gets the scope 49 times every 50 flights.

Sometimes these judgements are harmless, sometimes frustrating, and sometimes discrimination.

To those that often suffer the indignities that accompany prejudice, I know it's frustrating. But don't let it embitter you--that's beneath you.

Greet rudeness with grace. Respond to idiocy with understanding. Fight prejudice with acceptance. Always with humour.

You'll live longer.

Last edited by BlueMilk; Sep 15, 2016 at 10:16 am Reason: Spelling and grammar.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Flew ATH-IST-YYZ-YYC-YVR yesterday: ATH-IST A3 in Y; IST-YYZ-YYC-YVR AC in J

In Istanbul you know, people at IST are...meh... but they never question my status or tell me where I should belong. The problem start when my luggage never arrived in YYZ, so I line up at the baggage service in the priority lane and all of the sudden I heard "Hey YOU!, this is business class passenger only!" And I just stared at him back and he yelled again "Yes you! Move? Or Do I need to get a translator?" (I am an Asian descent) and I was steaming at this point and say yes I flew in J (I should yell at him in Thai). And there was a moment of silent when I hand in my boarding pass and he realized that he is the one who messed thing up.

Anyway everything else went great without any interruption and I thought this discrimination will be over. Nope, YYC MLL, as I walk in, and the MLL agent was like "Ummm can I help you? This is a lounge". And I was like "OH NO really?" hand in my boarding pass, and she went on silent mode just like my ex-girlfriend, didn't even apologize. Shame AC, Shame

And yes I was rocking my most comfortable lululemon pant, and V-neck with Beats headphone. But it's not like I get judged by my look or how I dress at all
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueMilk

Greet rudeness with grace. Repond to idiocy with understanding. Fight predjudice with acceptance. Always with humour.

You'll live longer.
+1
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Greet rudeness with grace. Repond to idiocy with understanding. Fight predjudice with acceptance. Always with humour.

You'll live longer.
Well said ^

Change the bobbin cause this thread is done.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Sorry, but the flip side of this argument is to enforce every SE have bag tags and carry their card with them, displaying it at all times to receive perks; no card, no perks. I have witness the rudeness of YYZ ground staff on many occasions, but I find it to be consistent across the board. Part of me is glad that AC staff check the lines and priority checkin areas to ensure that those in line and in those zones are 'entitled' to be there.
Most of my flights are ULH so I'm leaving Sunday's between 10am and 3PM, I'm usually in ripped jeans and a t-shirt, I'm typically treated with respect once in the designated "Elite" areas. On occasion I'll be questioned about my status, I'm ok with that, even if it requires me showing my BP or card, most of those times they'll catch at least a few people intentionally, or unintentionally getting in line or into the priority sections. Is it really that much of an inconvenience? to me travel is the big inconvenience; in fact, I wish they did it more checking in priority boarding lines and checkin lines where they don't have designated priority sections.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:36 am

Anyone seen differences while wearing a zone 1 t-shirt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.