Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
I always make sure I wear my underwear with my AP number and status printed on them on days when I fly.

Somehow, GAs can tell...
Well sure, if you wear 'em on the outside.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Well sure, if you wear 'em on the outside.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by whatchamackallit03
So glad that the reach of the "Golden Generation" (pre-boomers) is almost done. So many "Mad Men" bulliesinthay cohort who used scare tactics to rise to the top.

(There's some reading this post: your zero-sum game is almost up! I'll be here after your lifespan ends. And you can't do anything to stop it!)

It's the same people who think "if someone else gets benefits, I must be losing".
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by YEGcg
So glad that the reach of the "Golden Generation" (pre-boomers) is almost done. So many "Mad Men" bulliesinthay cohort who used scare tactics to rise to the top.

(There's some reading this post: your zero-sum game is almost up! I'll be here after your lifespan ends. And you can't do anything to stop it!)

It's the same people who think "if someone else gets benefits, I must be losing".
Perspective is a funny thing...I'm in my 50's and based on what I see on a daily basis it is the younger cohort who seem to think as you describe in your last sentence !
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Legalbee
Perspective is a funny thing...I'm in my 50's and based on what I see on a daily basis it is the younger cohort who seem to think as you describe in your last sentence !
Hmmmmmmm
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Hmmmmmmm
+1

hmmmmmm...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I could! Do you want facial recognition scan? Or bluetooth / ibecan? Do you want a holographic full size human being to greet them too? i can actually do that too!
How bout a hologram of Ben Smith, reciting the words "your loyalty means the world to us" at all altitude touch points?

I'd really like one in the mirror of the MLL, while I'm brushing my teeth.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
And here's a nice little lesson in demographics for all of you:

The post-WW2 baby boom (approx 1946-1964) is divided into 3 distinct groups. The early boomers who reaped many of the benefits of being born first. They got less crowded universities, they got great jobs that were plentiful, they were able to buy first homes and often, they could do well on a single earner.

The middle boomers had a little less, but still did almost as well.

The first 2 groups were also winners in the home-ownership and insane increase in value lottery.

These 2 groups are who the late boomers often still resent. Those born between apron 1958/8-1964, graduated into nasty recessions, particularly if you lived in Quebec in the early 80's. It was almost impossible for many to find full-time jobs, home purchases were still achievable in some places, but it was often a constant struggle for many in the group to not only break into the job market, but actually keep a job. Many of those who graduated as MBAs in the mid-late 80's ended up laid-off when companies were looking to cut. So for this group, job stability was a challenge.

Finally, from a psychographic p.o.v, the later boomers were like the GenX group that followed them, in terms of lifestyle and interests etc.

And yes, everyone is waiting for the first and second group to bump off to make room for those that follow. It's not nice to say, but a lot of people think it.

I know no one likes to read books much anymore , but Prof David Foot from U of T wrote an awesome and insightful book called Boom, Bust and Echo. He became the go-to expert for a lot of companies on how to deal with the changing demographics and especially GenX and Y and such.

(Sadly, the Ontario government did the exact opposite of some of the things he recommended and health care is paying the price.)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by YEGcg
Apparently there are still some younger people new to FT who feel that everyone should receive the treatment of an SE or it "isn't fair".
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:17 am

I thought it was because of the golden glow around us and the rose petals that magically appear in our pathway.

IME - you have self entitled snots in all status/age groups. If you have that type of personality having some sort of status (airline or elsewhere) brings it out even more.

I'm sure we have all seen the 35K who elbows little old ladies out of the way and steps on them in order to be first to stand in their zone line. That guy would be that guy no matter if s/he is 35K or SE. The higher the status it just feeds into that aspect of their personality.

And there are a lot of SE's who just want to get on the plane and get to where they are going with as little fuss as possible. We are the ones who don't much care if we get the first choice of meals or if our pillows are fluffed.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Apparently there are still some younger people new to FT who feel that everyone should receive the treatment of an SE or it "isn't fair".
I think that is a generational thing. I see that in my younger colleagues and in my nieces and nephews that range in age from 18 - 35. I think it's part of that "special snowflake" mentality. That every thing a child does is so special and so perfect.
As a child/young adult, if I said "it's not fair" my parents would always tell me "Life is not fair, get used to it"
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Maybe this is what I needed after all when having to deal with the bouncers and such.

(I could have cards printed and hand them out to ground staff and crew. Serious LOL)

Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by mromalley

And there are a lot of SE's who just want to get on the plane and get to where they are going with as little fuss as possible. We are the ones who don't much care if we get the first choice of meals or if our pillows are fluffed.
Ding Ding Ding! Except I do enjoy talking with the SD/FA's. Sometimes there are some great stories.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Smile

Originally Posted by 24left
Maybe this is what I needed after all when having to deal with the bouncers and such.

(I could have cards printed and hand them out to ground staff and crew. Serious LOL)

Please print two. I will reimburse you!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:39 pm
Suspended

There is a recurring theme I hear from GA's, FA's, Concierge etc after knowing them for a number of years.

Altitude members are, in general, snobbish folks who rub status in their face.

Being polite and cordial goes a very long way. I've realized that I've had a very horrible day crossing time zones +/- 12 hours but that has nothing to do with the agent. Stay calm, stay respectful, otherwise AC employees know you have Altitude status.

Just because you may have MM status doesn't entitle you to treat employees with poor attitudes. If anything, MM customers should have risen above the Altitude attitude crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.