Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24-Hour Penalty-Free Cancellation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question 24-Hour Penalty-Free Cancellation?

Hi All,

For tickets that originate in the US, passengers can cancel a ticket 24 hours after the purchase date with no penalty. Does the same apply for tickets that originate in Canada? I'm thinking about buying a ticket from YVR-YYZ, but I'm still working out the dates. In case something changes last minute--within the 24-hour window of when I purchase the ticket--I want to be able to cancel/refund my ticket. Is there any Canadian transportation law that stipulates this? I looked online and couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks, fellow FTers!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Hi All,

For tickets that originate in the US, passengers can cancel a ticket 24 hours after the purchase date with no penalty. Does the same apply for tickets that originate in Canada? I'm thinking about buying a ticket from YVR-YYZ, but I'm still working out the dates. In case something changes last minute--within the 24-hour window of when I purchase the ticket--I want to be able to cancel/refund my ticket. Is there any Canadian transportation law that stipulates this? I looked online and couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks, fellow FTers!
Generally speaking, yes. See below. However, if purchasing through a TA, make sure you check with their policies too.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...inecancel.html
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Hi All,

Thanks, fellow FTers!

It's not about whether the tickets originate in Canada.

If you are asking about Air Canada, tickets purchased on the website or with an agent, for example, can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase with no penally and full refund.

"Cancelling a booking online"

including "Do I get a refund if I cancel my booking within 24 hours of purchase?"

Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Generally speaking, yes. See below. However, if purchasing through a TA, make sure you check with their policies too.

Wow! Thanks for the super quick response! If I were to book a ticket from YYZ to CDG on AF, for example, am I afforded the right to cancel within 24 hours without penalty? I scoured through AF's website and cannot find any info about this--even when I set the country as Canada.

I'm an American who is not familiar with Canadian laws, and from what I understand, Canada generally has much stronger protections for consumers.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
There is law in Ontario that requires this which is what prompted this policy. My understanding that, regardless of where you buy the ticket, an on-line ticket is refundable within the first 24 hours. In my experience this has actually meant the full 24 hour period that is the next day but that is not a guarantee.

If you purchase through any other means then you will be SOL.

Air Canada's FAQ says this:

Do I get a refund if I cancel my booking within 24 hours of purchase?

If you cancel your booking within 24 hours of purchase, we will:

refund the price of your ticket and send you a confirmation email, or
cancel the payment transaction (no email is sent in this case).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting OP mentioned AF

Saw this one their site. Wonder if it applies outside of Germany or France.

".....Depending on the rate, cancellation charges or alteration fees may apply.However, no additional ticket service charge will be made.
For ticket changes (except flexible tickets), a processing fee of 15, - incurred. For ticket refunds, a fee of 20, - incurred."

Can anyone confirm that AF charges a cancellation fee?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
Interesting OP mentioned AF

Saw this one their site. Wonder if it applies outside of Germany or France.

".....Depending on the rate, cancellation charges or alteration fees may apply.However, no additional ticket service charge will be made.
For ticket changes (except flexible tickets), a processing fee of 15, - incurred. For ticket refunds, a fee of 20, - incurred."

Can anyone confirm that AF charges a cancellation fee?
That sounds like a question for Flying Blue
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:57 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Does this free cancellation apply to an award booking?

AA told me that it does not for American Airliness awards, so I would maybe Aeroplan doesn't allow it for their awards either?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Aeroplan does not allow it, though under DOT regulations, I would expect AA definitely would (though they can also offer a 24 hour hold with no payment to satisfy DOT requirements), and I'm willing to fight Aeroplan on it if the situation ever arises for me that I cancel within 24 hours.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm willing to fight Aeroplan on it if the situation ever arises for me that I cancel within 24 hours.
I'm imagining you asking the AP rep if s/he wants to take this outside
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanRulez
However, if purchasing through a TA, make sure you check with their policies too.
Last time I booked through an agent, I was told, until midnight, not 24 hours.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Just recently with through this on a Swiss booking. Tickets are charged through automatically, cancellation and credit posting to your c/c may take a few days.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Recently purchased some AC tx on P fare. Pop up message said they could be cancelled within 24 hrs.

Re Aeroplan, I had absolutely no luck in cancelling a few hrs after a booking. Of course, they would return pts and cancel with a change fee etc etc but not a straight cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.