Search

Why was I upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Why was I upgraded?

Hi all

I got a nice surprise on Sunday. A random upgrade at the gate in LAX. Although I'm unsure about why that happened since I have no status with Air Canada, and I thought I'd ask here for opinions. I've attached a copy of the boarding pass. Possible reasons I can think of:

1. I recently complained about a flight cancellation and maybe they were feeling generous.

2. On the same trip with the cancellation, they lost my bag and it has been an absolute mission trying to get it back. Maybe they were feeling generous for that reason?

3. Something related to my United 1K status?? Maybe they are trying to switch me to AC??

4. Luck
Attached Images  

Last edited by david_oz; Aug 23, 2016 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:04 am

A combination of 3 and 4. 4 since the flight was probably oversold in Y, and 3 since no *ACA were presumably left to opup so you as a *G got it next.

Just a heads up, if you're going through the trouble of blocking out names and seat #s you should put a stripe through the barcode too. Free scanners available on Android (probably iOS too) can read PNR, name, ticket number, seat, # of bags checked, flight # from what you posted.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SEMM
UA*G might have been part of it. As AC*G I have received opUps on LH and TP quite a few times and they confirmed the *G status was the reason I was chosen
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Geoflying
UA*G might have been part of it. As AC*G I have received opUps on LH and TP quite a few times and they confirmed the *G status was the reason I was chosen
Same on Air New Zealand.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
It'll be *G. Way down the list, but if nobody else is higher than you for an op-up, you get it. Have had it from J to F on LH before with my AC*G.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Out of interest, is non-AC *G > P25/E35? On an AC flight.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:52 am

My guess, oversold in Y -> then look for AC status first, if not, *A elites

same as my Y->J upgrade (for 4 paxs!!) on CDG-YYZ back in March

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.