Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Health Minister Jane Philpott to repay $520 for Air Canada lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Health Minister Jane Philpott to repay $520 for Air Canada lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Latitude FPs are pretty great for buying Y and flying J
Not for rush hour Rapidair flights. They're pretty SE heavy and SE upgrades get done first. I have a colleague who's only E50K and not once this year has he been able to get an upgrade to clear on a rush hour Rapidair flight.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by jaysona
Not for rush hour Rapidair flights. They're pretty SE heavy and SE upgrades get done first. I have a colleague who's only E50K and not once this year has he been able to get an upgrade to clear on a rush hour Rapidair flight.
If your colleague is getting this result using a Latitude FP, he's doing it wrong.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I think the issue with the attention is that it violates TB travel policy (probably not a Minister's expense allowance though) and comes on the heels of her retaining a friend to drive her around Toronto at triple the going rate for luxury vehicles. This kind of stuff just draws the wrong attention, so why do it is my question.

I'd be shocked if she isn't SE or at least E50 by now. While folks have said her riding is Toronto, so perhaps she flies PD to Ottawa, even still her work would have taken her on at least enough trips since January to qualify. I suspect the lounge access was purchased late last year or early this year to carry her through.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:33 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm surprised she wouldn't just get an AMEX plat card and use the PP/Amex lounges. They are pretty good for Canada IMO, and it is actually cheaper.

(Or one of the other cards with lounge access)

I am not outraged. The cost is probably nothing compared to what MPs spend on J in a year for travel.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
$520 is not exactly Mike Duffy territory! Plus, as has been pointed out, it probably saves taxpayers money compared to expensing airport food purchases over a year.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
I would say that all travelling ministers should get lounge access one way or the other - if they don't get it via status or their own card, then expense it. Not a big deal.

Last edited by bluenose77; Aug 23, 2016 at 5:37 am Reason: fat fingers
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
The more concerning issue is that governments clearly still don't have a clearly stated travel policy and don't use Concur or something like it to enforce the policy. Totally mind boggling given the amount of money that Parliament, Senate, and provincial governments spend.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:56 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It is incredibly tone deaf for an elected official to ask taxpayers to pay for lounge access. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
she didn't ask, she did

you don't know the character of a lot about canadian politicians, do ya
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No problem with MPs having paid lounge access. People need to stop being so petty.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bluenose77
I would say that all travelling ministers should get lounge access one way or the other - if they don't get it via status or their own card, then expense it. Not a big deal.
+1. Given the budgets and impact of their decisions, they should have lounge access same as the private sector.
However if they gave up some of their gold plated pensions they can have all the lounge access they want
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
This wouldn't be a story if she hadn't shown spectacularly bad judgement on the car service thing. This is a story because it's part of that wider story.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:44 am

Big deal $500. "Our" government wastes billions every year and this minute amount gets the press coverage. All she needs is a credit card that goes with the pass.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Aug 23, 2016 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I am fine to pay (via my taxes) lounge access to a minister. But why are they not asking on FT which is the best deal ... Seems very expensive to pay 520$ for lounge access when you can get Aeroplan Amex Plat for 499$ which includes MLL access and some others benefits...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by karachi
This is silly.
Yes indeed it is. But then politics has sadly descended to the point where political parties win and lose elections on petty points rather than from honestly debating the big issues.

Originally Posted by karachi
lounge access for frequent travellers is a common benefit at most companies...
Umm, no it is not - other than as a result of gaining status with an airline. I would venture that very few companies in Canada provide the benefit of paid lounge membership.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I think it's reasonable that the Minister of a large portfolio be able to work in relative quiet while travelling on government business, so I'm ok with the expense. Unlike the rest of the travelling public, I doubt the Minister is going there for food (it's already covered by taxpayers when she travels) or would she drink and risk people seeing her drunk.

I don't know how'd I feel about the Minister jockeying for recharging outlets near the gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.