Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why aren't J redemption levels in line with prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why aren't J redemption levels in line with prices?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
As a former SE, I feel like my arms and legs have been cut off every time I want to do a Aeroplan booking.
Oh come on, you got IKK and SE Waiver
Its practically skinned alive for those who wants to go to EU.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Except Air Canada does not sell miles. They buy them.
But maybe they should re-sell them! At the heavily discounted rate they get they could probably make a profit selling miles.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by seadog83
This is largely a devil's advocate thought exercise, but out of curiosity, why do you think it is that you can redeem for a J product for roughly 1.5x that of a Y, but if you pay cash, you will pay something like 5x? Similarly, earnings wise, why if you pay 5x for J, do you only get maybe 1.5x the miles(depending)? I can at least sympathize with companies' moves to a purely revenue based model.

To me this seems like the heart of the problem from AE's perspective with people like us redeeming 150k points for $20k Mini RTWs. I think it could even be argued so far that this arbitrage is the foundation of mileage running as a whole.

If you had to "work" (ie fly) 5x as much for a J redemption, just like you did if you were paying cash, basically it would kill mileage running entirely, and make J/F products more in line with what the airlines really want. (spending 25k+$200 for a YYZ-FLL Y redemption or 125K + $1k in J).

While probably something that would have had to been done from the get-go, I'm just curious why we feel that such a discount in points when compared dollars is reasonable?
Because they probably based the cost of the reward redemption for J on the cost to provide the service (compared to Y) and not on the retail price.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, awards may very well be in line with actual prices.

Consider, maybe half of the J cabin may be filled with upgrades. Some on flex, many on Latitude. P fares, which are about three times lowest Tango.

Bottom line: Aeroplan is too big a customer fro AC to give the freebies. Other side of the coin: Aeroplan for most people (apart from SEs) is not worth the hassle.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually, awards may very well be in line with actual prices.

Consider, maybe half of the J cabin may be filled with upgrades. Some on flex, many on Latitude. P fares, which are about three times lowest Tango.

Bottom line: Aeroplan is too big a customer fro AC to give the freebies. Other side of the coin: Aeroplan for most people (apart from SEs) is not worth the hassle.
Doesn't AE allow you to buy miles for $0.03 a mile?

*prices do not include YQ
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Doesn't AE allow you to buy miles for $0.03 a mile?

*prices do not include YQ
Which is more or less in line wirth what I have been paying. Either low P or latitude+upgrades. Lately I paid around 3000/3200 to Asia. Which is cheaper than a reward if you value your miles at around 3 cents. Remembering that for SEs no YQ.

Non-SEs should not value their points at 3 cents. Probably more like 1.5 cents. Remember they sell miles to Amex and the like at around 0.6 to 0.8 cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.