Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to get TIFF competition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by agjil
Wow AA is flying 321Ts on this route...guess they are pretty serious about this.
I may have to take a short vacation in LA while TIFF is on...
By offering the only real F transcons between NYC-LAX/SFO, AA has cornered the market on A-list celebs and studio execs over UA and DL who only offer business class (and economy) and thus get the B-list and lower (under SAG contracts). This move permits those corporate accounts to enjoy the comfort they are used to (even in the business cabin) and keep earning their AAdvantage miles. Smart move by AA, but also indicates how important TIFF is to Hollywood.

Flown both F and J on these AA transcons and it's a comfortable service though still a long way from the grand old days of flying F (back in the 60s, 70s and 80s). F seats are similar seats to AC's new J seats (and AA's new J seat on its 77Ws) and the J seat is similar to UA's J seat pairs on exUA widebodies, and the same seat UA uses on its similar transcons to LAX and SFO from EWR which only offer J and Y.

AC will still get its share of business. But one doesn't have to fly the "official carrier".

BTW I believe the plane is also designated as a 32B in schedules and booking engines.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 16, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yulred
...and, evidently, Air Canada. Important enough to sponsor, no less. We all look forward to your theory on why AC chose to do so. )
Advertising?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:57 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
of what is a major slap in the face to an airline that once boasted of its status as the official airline of TIFF?Many of us remember how AC crowed, gloated, bragged about its status as the official airline of TIFF.
woah dramatic

i dunno if it's a real slap on the face if a competitor sees that there's a lot of traffic between two cities and decides to add a couple nonstop flights.

nor does being the head airline sponsor of a festival gives that sponsor monopoly on the nearest airport

i'm pretty sure aa and jetblue and ua do the same for slc around sundance, it's not really a 'slap on the face' to dl, just common sense
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
S/Tiff Competion?? It's merely an increase in capacity for 168 hours and a effort to make a few extra Shekels. YYZ-LAX has not had any lasting real competition for 30 years since the days of AA50/51 DC-10 Luxury Liner Service on the route. And certainly not for lack of trying. AA has maintained their daily narrow-body connector flight, we've seen AS, VX and even a tag-on with LY.

AA is neither testing the waters nor contemplating year-round First Class Flagship service on the YYZ route. If their marketing research confirmed that there was sufficient and sustainable demand, they'd add it in a nano-second. Y'all do recall that there has been full open skies between the US and Canada for over 20 years now? They are simply addressing a demand for a one week period for a portfolio of travellers who have been their target audience for Premium Transcontinental travel - South of the Border.

And at a cost of US$5635.00 return, the Lobster Mac 'n' Cheese and Wagyu Meatloaf should be good -- very, very good.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Aug 17, 2016 at 6:07 am
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
How much bleeding can AC do in 7 days? Didn't give a long answer because AA is basically doing a PR stunt for 7 days. You never know, if the loads are there AC could sub in a 787 on the heavy travel days and most likely beat AA on their PR game. If AA was truly upping it's game, they would bring this service to this route full time.
lol an AC 787-8 would have less J seats than AA 321. Also AA has really upped its game and AC is cutting lounges and service.
AC 787 has terrible pitch in coach, so even Y flyers would be disappointed.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flybit
lol an AC 787-8 would have less J seats than AA 321. Also AA has really upped its game and AC is cutting lounges and service.
AC 787 has terrible pitch in coach, so even Y flyers would be disappointed.
But the 787 is a wide body and has benefits the A321 can't offer. I have not been in a AA lounge for a year or so, but if they are the same level as UA, MLL with their cut back would still be better.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Aug 18, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:10 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You can bet that AA will deploy some FAs with personality and spunk on these flights. AC will be offering Blanche and Bruce who may manage a smile depending on whether or not they had a decent bowel movement in the morning.
When is the last time NA airlines "deployed" FAs on a flight? Isn't it a pretty convoluted, seniority based bidding system that decides which FAs end up on the flight?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:12 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
But the 787 is a wide body and has benefits the A321 can't offer. I have not been in a AA lounge for a year or so, but if they are the same level as UA, MLL with their cut back would still be better.
I love the overall intimacy of the YYZ AA lounge in Terminal 3. And the staff is awesome.

The real perk is flying back from LAX - if you have OW Emerald status (or traveling F on these 3-class birds) you can access the Flagship Lounge, or better yet, the Qantas First Lounge. The latter is amazing, with a full menu sit down restaurant.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Far Siren
When is the last time NA airlines "deployed" FAs on a flight? Isn't it a pretty convoluted, seniority based bidding system that decides which FAs end up on the flight?
Seniority and a pulse will secure a 10-hour YYZ airport layover.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Im already booked on one of these in F. Absolutely love flying them, though service can be hit/miss. Definitely superior to AC J, especially that embarrassment of a 767 they ply, let alone those pathetic 320s.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flybit
lol an AC 787-8 would have less J seats than AA 321.
??? AA321 have 10F(Basically AC J pods) AND 20J(basically AC PY) seats. So, if AC switch in a 787 -8, they would have 20 pods(AA F seats) and 21PY (AA J seats). If they dropped in 787-9, AC would have 30 Pods to AA 10 pods.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
??? AA321 have 10F(Basically AC J pods) AND 20J(basically AC PY) seats. So, if AC switch in a 787 -8, they would have 20 pods(AA F seats) and 21PY (AA J seats). If they dropped in 787-9, AC would have 30 Pods to AA 10 pods.
WOW.. This guy... This guy...

Did you just say AA 321T J is basically AC PY?

LMAO. I will wait for 24left and other people who fly AA to smash down.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:53 pm

The usual suspects have turned out again
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The AA J seats on the 321 are lie-flat pods similar to UA's pods on the p.s. routes.

The F seats are bigger and better.

I learned all this from seatguru and AA.com.

Going off my UA p.s. experience, I'd say the J seats are probably not as good as AC's new (and possibly even old) pods, but the F seats are definitely not worse, and quite possibly better.

But there are 30 lie flat seats. None of those are similar to AC's PY.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The AA J seats on the 321 are lie-flat pods similar to UA's pods on the p.s. routes.

The F seats are bigger and better.

I learned all this from seatguru and AA.com.

Going off my UA p.s. experience, I'd say the J seats are probably not as good as AC's new (and possibly even old) pods, but the F seats are definitely not worse, and quite possibly better.

But there are 30 lie flat seats. None of those are similar to AC's PY.
Sorry about the AA 321 J seats. I had the wrong info. Even if AA pods are a bit bigger than AC, A wide body and 787 benefits would make that difference up over a A321.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.