Wiki Posts
Search

where's the beef

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The only meat that requires well done in Canada is ground beef, but if a restaurant grind's their beef fresh, you can order a medium rare burger.
What about chicken and turkey?

Here is Health Canada's cooking temperature guidelines. It is hopelessly out of date with modern research. For example it still lists pork at 71C/160F and anybody who thinks Beef is medium rare at 145F is .
http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating...uisson-eng.php
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by The Lev
What about chicken and turkey?

Here is Health Canada's cooking temperature guidelines. It is hopelessly out of date with modern research. For example it still lists pork at 71C/160F and anybody who thinks Beef is medium rare at 145F is .
http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating...uisson-eng.php
What about chicken, turkey and pork? The discussion was on beef. Apple orange thing again.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:37 pm

No, don't stop. I find everything is usually over cooked. When you finally get a good one, it is worth the wait.
Was joking. I wouldn't put myself through misery many times in the hopes of getting something half decent. Steaks on planes taste bad almost always in my opinion.

I usually order a curry dish if available. They are usually good enough.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
No beef option on my PVG-YYZ trip, perhaps Ben read the shoe leather comments and decided to scrap it?

And replaced with Lamb that one FA/SD described as "So greasy I can't even finish it"
I also witnessed another FA/SD who took the tinfoil off the chicken plate and was staring at it for a good minute wondering if she was hungry enough to want to eat it lol.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
What about chicken, turkey and pork? The discussion was on beef. Apple orange thing again.
The OP was indeed about beef, but then a poster you know well introduced a different term that I responded to:

Med, med well are within public health guidelines. The guidelines are based on temperature not colour. The only meat that requires well done in Canada is ground beef, but if a restaurant grind's their beef fresh, you can order a medium rare burger.
If I had realized that when you wrote "meat" you meant to use it interchangeably with "beef", then I would not have gone down this particular rabbit hole with you.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
It's been entertaining watching you two. please go on.

All I want to say is, F* the temperature, I'd like to have some beef carppaccio served in J
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had realized that when you wrote "meat" you meant to use it interchangeably with "beef", then I would not have gone down this particular rabbit hole with you.
Real men only eats beef. (OK, maybe lamb on a bad day.) But definitely no rabbit.

Or chicken. Pork only if my wife really insists.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
In France, well Paris, I have ordered cheese burgers, ground beef and you are always asked how you want it done, my friend always orders her's rare, I took a chance and went medium rare, it was totally fab. Apparently none of the worries in France over ground beef we have here in North America. I think in most French restaurants though, they prepare and grind the beef in house. The exception being MacDonalds in France.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by james dean
In France, well Paris, I have ordered cheese burgers, ground beef and you are always asked how you want it done, my friend always orders her's rare, I took a chance and went medium rare, it was totally fab. Apparently none of the worries in France over ground beef we have here in North America. I think in most French restaurants though, they prepare and grind the beef in house. The exception being MacDonalds in France.
You can get a great med. rare burger at Yew, 4 seasons vancouver.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Aug 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:00 pm
Suspended

The OP was indeed about beef, but then a poster you know well introduced a different term that I responded to:

The string was not about meat, but steak. Again you have understanding issues.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Aug 15, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Real men only eats beef. (OK, maybe lamb on a bad day.) But definitely no rabbit.

Or chicken. Pork only if my wife really insists.
Real men eat what they want and don't care what others think. I'm a real man and if I want a tofu burger and mai tai, I will enjoy it and not worry what someone else thinks.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Real men eat what they want and don't care what others think. I'm a real man and if I want a tofu burger and mai tai, I will enjoy it and not worry what someone else thinks.
Real men eat beef.

(OK now?)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:08 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Perhaps I haven't been paying attention but did AC fly PEK-ICN any time recently?

International vegetarian meals are decent, and occasionally good. Domestic/NA, however, are almost universally awful.
Err I meant to type YYZ...sorry about that. Was at the end of the work day and I fly either PEK or ICN to YYZ...brain fart happened.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
Real men eat beef.

(OK now?)
Ahh, you are all city folks. Around here real men eat what they kill. Deer, bear, partridge, rabbit, duck, fish, moose if they travel for it. But given the typical airline choices, these real men would choose the beef every time.

Alas, by my hickville definition I'm not a real man. I couldn't survive eating what I kill (blackflies, mosquitos, the occasional mouse)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Obligatory quote from Airplane!

Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine Dickinson: Well, we had a choice of steak or fish.
Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.