Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Upgraded for $25

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Airlines perfected the art of taking hostages years ago.
^

I prefer to call it ransom when I speak in public...

To OP, good find!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Sorry for being a fare class newbie, but why is there no fee involved in making this change? Because you are moving from Economy to Business?

"The agent did not know at first that this type of change does not require the $200 change fee so he called AC to confirm."
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
Sorry for being a fare class newbie, but why is there no fee involved in making this change? Because you are moving from Economy to Business?

"The agent did not know at first that this type of change does not require the $200 change fee so he called AC to confirm."
There are never change fees for fare class upgrades. I don't know why, but I don't question it
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
There are never change fees for fare class upgrades. I don't know why, but I don't question it
I would assume it's that in general, when people do this, it's to move from $500 Tango to $1200 Flex, or $1200 Flex to $3000 Business.

And it's much easier to apply a blanket "waive the change fee" policy than it is to come up with rules on exactly which situations should waive it.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
It's simple. The airline wants you to upgrade from the lower fare to the higher one. It's more profitable for them to have you paying the hire fare. Why would they use fees -- which exist to discourage consumer behaviour -- for a behaviour that they want to encourage?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Jack, your Tango4Life philosophy is all well and good for a leisure traveller who books flights months in advance and has flexibility in schedule.

But I really wish you would acknowledge and appreciate that not everyone lives in the same world.

For those of us who travel on business, tickets often need to be booked on short notice. At that point, your analysis of $900 for <3 hours in Y is irrelevant. The questions are:
  • What is the cost?
  • What is the cost of alternative routes?
  • Does the value of going to the meeting/conference/whatever exceed the cost?

If the answer to the last question is yes, then the ticket will be purchased. That's why AC (and every other airline) has expensive last-minute fares.

I've gone to IAH last-minute on more than one occasion where the lowest economy fare was >$1100 (for a 4-hour flight in Y on a CRA). Would I ever do that my own dime? Probably not, because I wouldn't be looking to go to Houston on a Monday morning with 3 days' notice. But if I did, I would go through the same list I did above. And if the alternatives weren't much cheaper (or the inconvenience wasn't worth the money), and I really needed or wanted to go, I'd do it.

Carping about what you see as the poor value of the OP's flight doesn't add anything to this discussion.
also
  • What is the cost of flying into Houston Hobby vs Houston Intercontinental

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.