Wiki Posts
Search

Is AC that short of gates at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Sure, that's why they've all started sending their 747s to YVR.
So, sending old aircraft with limited range makes YVR more important? If the 747 is so great, why are airlines retiring them as fast as possible and not fixing them up.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
So, sending old aircraft with limited range makes YVR more important? If the 747 is so great, why are airlines retiring them as fast as possible and not fixing them up.
I think 747-400ER and 77W would have very similar range - in any event 747 range isn't the limiting factor for service from YVR-Asia (keep in mind a number of Asian destinations are or were served by 763's and 330's from YVR).

The answer to why they are being retired is a combination of age and higher fuel/maintenance cost relative to say a 77W as well as being too big for some routes which can be serviced adequately by a smaller 787.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev
I think 747-400ER and 77W would have very similar range - in any event 747 range isn't the limiting factor for service from YVR-Asia (keep in mind a number of Asian destinations are or were served by 763's and 330's from YVR).

The answer to why they are being retired is a combination of age and higher fuel/maintenance cost relative to say a 77W as well as being too big for some routes which can be serviced adequately by a smaller 787.
The 777 has a longer operational range, it's not about the range to Vancouver/Asia but the range to Toronto, New York etc/Asia.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
How are flights assigned to the infield terminal? I'm always curious at the seemingly random collection of aircraft I see out there, and assumed it was mainly charter flights?
Originally Posted by jaysona
Until the recent Syrian refugee flights started I thought the infield terminal was pretty much unused. I remember driving along Britannia Rd. back in 2014 and the terminal looked pretty much abandoned and was used for field equipment storage.
From purely anecdotal, and shaky, memory, every time I pass through YYZ I seem to see a different collection of aircraft there - usually at least one AC widebody, sometimes a Korean Air, quite often a Transat or two...

I have to imagine it would be a pain for airlines and pax alike to try and communicate "your flight is leaving from a different part of the airport than we normally use..."
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Having done hundreds of international flights on AC coming into YYZ, the last time I had to arrive at IFT was in 2009-ish...IIRC
I did not arrive to it but I departed IFT in Feb 2016 to IAD on United on a CRJ. I had also thought IFT was unused, and was a little bit rushed to make it all the way there from the lounge.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
In 1990? YYZ has become very important Asia flight hub for all airlines.
Riiiiigggghhhttttt..... just like there are no 747's at YVR right? Uh-huh.... ok.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Riiiiigggghhhttttt..... just like there are no 747's at YVR right? Uh-huh.... ok.
Exactly.

Well, I think it's time now to list all of the carriers that fly from YVR to various points in Asia. Then I'll get my handy yellow tape measure so we can compare that to those ex-YYZ.

While we're at it, we should compare the number of daily 747s that land at YVR vs YYZ.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
There's a really handy website for this: http://www.flightconnections.com/

Some people think exclusively in AC/*A terms and forget about the Chinese airlines that fly to YVR. Hang around the international PPL after midnight and you won't make the same mistake.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by eigenvector
There's a really handy website for this: http://www.flightconnections.com/

Some people think exclusively in AC/*A terms and forget about the Chinese airlines that fly to YVR. Hang around the international PPL after midnight and you won't make the same mistake.
Or some people just don't think.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I did not arrive to it but I departed IFT in Feb 2016 to IAD on United on a CRJ. I had also thought IFT was unused, and was a little bit rushed to make it all the way there from the lounge.
Out of curiosity, which gate did you board the people mover bus at?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Exactly.

Well, I think it's time now to list all of the carriers that fly from YVR to various points in Asia. Then I'll get my handy yellow tape measure so we can compare that to those ex-YYZ.

While we're at it, we should compare the number of daily 747s that land at YVR vs YYZ.
Why 747s, the "my airport is better than your" meassure these days is the A380. Vancouver has BA daily A380, Does YYZ still only have one show up every couple of days?

Back to the topic of airport expansions. One should compare and contrast the philosophy of YVR with YYZ.....

To quote the YVR CEO as he discusses the next round of terminal expansions "It keeps everything in one terminal,” he said. “I hate it when I’m driving up to a terminal, and the I don’t know and the taxi asks which terminal. Because we’re a big connecting airport, keeping it as long as we can in one terminal is very important to us so that we can transfer people between various sectors very easily."

"Another big factor is that we like the fact that it’s incremental growth. We don’t like to make a billion or two billion dollar gamble because inevitably if there is a downturn in the economy, you started something that is very expensive, and you can’t stop, then you have this huge terminal that is empty for a long time. That is not a very efficient way to do it.”

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanco...ion-masterplan
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Fiordland
To quote the YVR CEO as he discusses the next round of terminal expansions "It keeps everything in one terminal, he said. I hate it when Im driving up to a terminal, and the I dont know and the taxi asks which terminal. Because were a big connecting airport, keeping it as long as we can in one terminal is very important to us so that we can transfer people between various sectors very easily."

"Another big factor is that we like the fact that its incremental growth. We dont like to make a billion or two billion dollar gamble because inevitably if there is a downturn in the economy, you started something that is very expensive, and you cant stop, then you have this huge terminal that is empty for a long time. That is not a very efficient way to do it.

I like this attitude of one terminal. I understand that some global hubs are at a scale where it just won't work, but so many small-to-medium sized airports have a gratuitous number of terminals for no evident reason. Even worse when I am in some 3rd world country trying to use hand gestures to tell a taxi driver which one I want to go to (if I can even figure it out with the broken-English confirmation email from some Asian ULCC that may or may not even exist).
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
To quote the YVR CEO as he discusses the next round of terminal expansions "It keeps everything in one terminal, he said. I hate it when Im driving up to a terminal, and the I dont know and the taxi asks which terminal. Because were a big connecting airport, keeping it as long as we can in one terminal is very important to us so that we can transfer people between various sectors very easily."
Yeah, because those domestic to US connections at YVR are sooooo easy, because it's such a short distance.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Why 747s, the "my airport is better than your" meassure these days is the A380. Vancouver has BA daily A380, Does YYZ still only have one show up every couple of days?....
Kind of an AC FT inside joke for a while back about the claim that YVR doesn't have 747s
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Back to the topic of airport expansions. One should compare and contrast the philosophy of YVR with YYZ.....

Someone should take Craig Richmond aside and point out that he is CEO of a two terminal operation, domestic terminal and international terminal are separate buildings connected by the link building.

Under the east terminal expansion plan, the new terminal would be connected to the international terminal by a second link corridor. Further with the next domestic expansion being to the southeast of the A/B connector, connection times are going to take a big hit because airport operations are getting too spread out.

The airport needs an automated people mover to remain competitive for connections. The people mover needs to connect international connections facility, concourse C, the A/B connector, and the new regional concourse that is yet to be constructed. The people mover will be a $200 million plus bill.

The current gate plan does not work for a dual hub operation. Under the central expansion option, there is no provision for Westjet to develop a true hub at YVR because their operation would be too spread out with separate concourses for encore, domestic, international, and transborder. The east terminal option would have worked for Westjet and the midfield terminal option would have worked for AC. The central expansion option works for collection of international airlines that use YVR as a spoke.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I didn't say there was no 747 in YVR. I love your gaming playing. By the way, anymore old pictures of 3 747 at YVR to post? I did see one today, 2 short of your average.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.