Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread was originally started regarding the re-configuration and re-designation of Air Canada's legacy CRAs to CR9s. That project was completed in early 2018.

AC currently has five CR9s that were previously owned by SkyWest and in service with Delta. These are (fin/registration):
  • 780 / C-FIJZ
  • 781 / C-FJZN
  • 782 / C-FOJZ
  • 783 / C-FRJA
  • 784 / C-GJAN

These aircraft are still configured with the Delta interiors, have no IFE, and may or may not have working WiFi. AC has not published any details regarding the re-configuration of these aircraft to match the existing CR9 fleet.
Print Wikipost

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
I wonder if ovens might be part of the refresh as they did with the 190's???
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26784713-post12.html suggests yes.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:42 am

Anyone know a timeline for this? Currently awaiting my cold breakfast on YOW-YWG.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
All I hope is that they don't use the same seats as UA. The seats in United's CRAs are physically painful.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This can't happen soon enough. Almost impossible to travel with carry-on with those overhead bins on the 705s, and not having a hotel meal in J is a disappointment.

Will they retrofit the overhead bins to allow for legal size carry-ons (similar to the E75/E90s)?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by yvr76
This can't happen soon enough. Almost impossible to travel with carry-on with those overhead bins on the 705s, and not having a hotel meal in J is a disappointment.

Will they retrofit the overhead bins to allow for legal size carry-ons (similar to the E75/E90s)?
There are 4 new CRJ9s in the AC Express livery sitting at the Jazz hangar in YHZ. Apparently interiors are being fitted in Halifax.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yvr76

That would be wonderful. That or just offering a proper gate check service. But better bins would be preferable.

Is it even possible to fit that size of bin in a CRJ cabin though? Do any other airlines have them?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by marke190
It appears that the current CRAs are getting a bit of a cabin refresh as the seats were reupholstered with dark blue leather- similar to the Q400- on a flight a couple of weeks ago. Much softer the previous dreary grey leather and makes the cabin feel brighter.
I'm on one of these now. Has this change been making its way through the fleet slowly? I only did 4 CRA flights in the 2nd half of 2016, but I feel like this is the first time I've had this new interior. Seats seem more comfortable in addition to less dreary. Weren't the old seats brown rather than grey though?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:19 am

Nope old seats were a light grey, moving to a dark Navy blue.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: *G
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle33766016/

"Bombardier Inc. is weighing options for a new engine on its regional jets in a move that could give its commercial aircraft lineup a boost until its flagship C Series starts making money"

New engines, not bins....
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:45 pm

Do the revamped CRAs still have 12A as because of the asile?

Anyone have a seat map of new layout and which are bulkheads and preferred seats. What is pitch of new preferred?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tinchote
All I hope is that they don't use the same seats as UA. The seats in United's CRAs are physically painful.
All I hope is that they don't use the same engines.

Or any engines.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bakersdozen

Anyone have a seat map of new layout and which are bulkheads and preferred seats. What is pitch of new preferred?
I think we determined it would likely match this:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/De...r_CRJ900_C.php
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC681
Nope old seats were a light grey, moving to a dark Navy blue.
Perhaps either they got dirty or the grey was just so dreary that, in my mind, they became brown.

Originally Posted by fin 645
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle33766016/

"Bombardier Inc. is weighing options for a new engine on its regional jets in a move that could give its commercial aircraft lineup a boost until its flagship C Series starts making money"

New engines, not bins....
Within the very article you reference, it mentions that BBD has been offering the plane with larger bins recently: "The plane maker recently began offering a modernized cabin for the aircraft that included bigger overhead bins and windows."

Whether that's only on new builds or could be retrofitted on older planes like AC's, who knows. This is one of those times it would be nice if someone from AC posted here and could give us the info.

Originally Posted by bakersdozen

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think we determined it would likely match this:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/De...r_CRJ900_C.php
The DL layout was my hypothesis, since it seems to match pretty neatly what AC has said it wants to do, but have we had any kind of official confirmation that it will look like that?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:05 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That would be wonderful. That or just offering a proper gate check service. But better bins would be preferable.

Is it even possible to fit that size of bin in a CRJ cabin though? Do any other airlines have them?
the bins in y held my very full travelpro crew 7 (fits into the sizers as snug as it gets) a-ok sideways. takes a bit of maneuvering when it was stuffed but any other time it was fine. if you have a regulation carry on the bins are a non issue. the people who suffer are those who have oversize carry on. the j style bins on the 705 only existed in j because they protrude out of the roof onto what would be the y aisle. so i wouldn't count on bigger bins.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cur
the bins in y held my very full travelpro crew 7 (fits into the sizers as snug as it gets) a-ok sideways. takes a bit of maneuvering when it was stuffed but any other time it was fine. if you have a regulation carry on the bins are a non issue. the people who suffer are those who have oversize carry on. the j style bins on the 705 only existed in j because they protrude out of the roof onto what would be the y aisle. so i wouldn't count on bigger bins.
I have a regulation carry-on and it's often a struggle to get it in the bin and sometimes not possible. Have seen the same with others, sometimes slightly smaller bags as well.

It can at times be a question of angles, how full the bins are, etc, but either way, the bins are woefully inadequate. I don't remember the last time I took a CRA flight where there wasn't a bunch of baggage to gate check. (Yes, not an uncommon problem on other planes these days, but not quite as universal as on the CRAs, in my experience).

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 3, 2017 at 9:35 pm Reason: Corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.