Wiki Posts
Search

Stagnant odors in AC 787/777 lavs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Stagnant odors in AC 787/777 lavs

Has anyone else noticed a bad sewer-gas odor on AC flights in the last 6 months (mostly new 788/789 series) J restrooms? NO, this is not just the result of someone with digestive troubles right before I enter. Very prominent when flushing an empty toilet or using the sink. I have a weak stomach and almost lose it.

Best I can theorize is there is an issue with stagnant gases entering the restroom via the toilet/sink?

I have not encountered this on any other carrier's 777/787s. Is AC is skimping by using plain water instead of 'blue juice' or an enzyme/deodorizer in the vacuum lav system/storage tanks? I know many will say a restroom is not going to smell like roses and perfume but I at least want to know if others have noticed this too...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by expert7700
Has anyone else noticed a bad sewer-gas odor on AC flights in the last 6 months (mostly new 788/789 series) J restrooms?
Chili in the lounge. Scotch on the flight.

Can't say I use the Lavs on most flights... but I'll make a point to check it out on my next TATL... My personal pod away from my pod... =)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I don't think AC crew cleans the lav's at all unlike SQ et al and I feel that could be the cause of the smell.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by expert7700
Has anyone else noticed a bad sewer-gas odor on AC flights in the last 6 months (mostly new 788/789 series) J restrooms? NO, this is not just the result of someone with digestive troubles right before I enter. Very prominent when flushing an empty toilet or using the sink. I have a weak stomach and almost lose it.

Best I can theorize is there is an issue with stagnant gases entering the restroom via the toilet/sink?

I have not encountered this on any other carrier's 777/787s. Is AC is skimping by using plain water instead of 'blue juice' or an enzyme/deodorizer in the vacuum lav system/storage tanks? I know many will say a restroom is not going to smell like roses and perfume but I at least want to know if others have noticed this too...
No on the sewer order
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I flew YYZ-CPH on a 788 last month, and I do use the lavs regularly (3 times in 8 hours, if I recall right). No sewer smells that I can recall on that flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
I actually noticed this recently flying on one of the 788's to NRT in one of the J lavs - it smelled like the restroom in a sketchy pub or gas station, the kind where you just try to get in and out as quickly as possible, and you know it hasn't had a good thorough cleaning in a long time. You can tell that the smell seemed to be something that accumulated over time, as opposed to something from the last pax. I was actually thinking to myself how it was unfortunate that such a new aircraft seemed to have a bathroom that was in such bad need of a deep-cleaning.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: TK *G
There is some sort of unpleasant odour in AC's washrooms. But I don't think it's only on 777/787. 320s are equally bad.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
The 777 Y Lavs 10 hours into TPAC is the definition of nightmare.
And FAs only wipe the faucets which I would argue is one the last things to clean lol.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Didn't notice anything on AC70 and AC71 which I thought if I was going to notice anything on those would be the ones.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Haven't noticed this.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The smell exists and I reported it to crew on more than one of my AC3/4 flights last year. IIRR, it was very evident on the A row side as the is the J lav and the one between J/PE.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if it was fin 803, 804 or 805, but it happened on the same fin twice. In at least one case, the crew knew about this but had no answer, and I recall one of the FAs using some spray, but the smell persisted even while everyone was asleep over the Pacific.

I assume unless crew note the fin, the flight, the date and time and unless pax report it right away, maintenance won't be able to deal with it.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
smoked vomit comes to mind
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
thanks, 24left. I'll start reporting it too. Since it's happening in many planes it has to be a problem with venting from the holding tank. It's definitely not the flight crew's fault or the cleaning folks not mopping up between flights.

I read an article about servicing the vacuum lav systems that after emptying the system they are supposed to put 5-10gal of the 'blue juice' in. heavy deodorizer and enzymes in the holding tank and plain water in the tank for flushing/handwashig.

I was on a boat charter once and the vent stack from the lav had the same odor. The captain apologized to us profusely saying he 'forgot to add enough blue stuff when he serviced the boat'

Hopefully AC decides on a quick fix... before those Skytrax 4* airline folks notice it
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Joining the gross out express...

I was socializing with an AC Flight Attendant over the weekend, and they related a story about a jammed trash compactor on a 777. Apparently they do not smell good at the best of times, but when another FA tried to unjam it with some sort of implement, the implement was covered with maggots when they pulled it out.

Names redacted to protect the innocent.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
I've noticed the smell a few times lately. I don't recall noticing it last year. My experiences were on A320s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.