Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Class Differences

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
I would never buy Flex. But just wondering how much price differential vs tango would be justified.
For TPAC I would pay max 50% more than Tango. No more.

Why would I pay $2800 or so for a PE seat when for $350 more than that I could be seated in J?
Old May 29, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
For TPAC I would pay max 50% more than Tango. No more.

Why would I pay $2800 or so for a PE seat when for $350 more than that I could be seated in J?
That raises a good point. If it's $2800 PE or $3200 J, I'd take J. So maybe I shouldn't be aiming for PE (unless there's a reason to?)

So I guess the better question is...

1) What price differential would you pay for Tango -> J?
2) What's the typical price differential on offer for TPAC?

Last edited by haolaowai_org; May 29, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 4:06 pm

That raises a good point. If it's $2800 PE or $3200 J, I'd take J. So maybe I shouldn't be aiming for PE (unless there's a reason to?)

Just do a couple dummy booking for the time period you want to travel.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I think PY is absolutely worth it. I was looking at YYZ HND the other day. PY was about the same as Flex.

Why would I not book PY? More AQM, more AP miles, better/tolerable product etc. I look at PY as J on a narrowbody. If I need to go there, at this very moment in my life, that is the COS I would book in.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
If you look at the size of the PY cabin VS the size of the Y cabin, that will basically tell you what percentage of the people believe that PY is worth the extra cash.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE

For less than the price you quoted, I'd buy BR B fare and then use *A upgrade into J. No way I would fly AC TPAC unless the price is really attractive.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by YYT82
For less than the price you quoted, I'd buy BR B fare and then use *A upgrade into J. No way I would fly AC TPAC unless the price is really attractive.
Yeah I happen to agree. BR was selling YYZ-PVG with upgradeable fares for $1700 R/T, I took AC because of time constraints. But TPE-HKG should give you plenty of options. ^
Old May 29, 2016, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....No way I would fly AC TPAC unless the price is really attractive.
Ah, but then you have the vast differences of how each of us interprets the phrase "attractive price".
Old May 29, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Ah, but then you have the vast differences of how each of us interprets the phrase "attractive price".
Anywhere sub 3600 R/T seems to be good for YYZ-PVG
Old May 29, 2016, 10:36 pm
Suspended

My comment was more philosophical-psychological. I wrote it the way I did so as not to have more examples of what a good price to wherever might be.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I think PY is absolutely worth it. I was looking at YYZ HND the other day. PY was about the same as Flex.

Why would I not book PY? More AQM, more AP miles, better/tolerable product etc. I look at PY as J on a narrowbody. If I need to go there, at this very moment in my life, that is the COS I would book in.
But Flex is a fallacious comparison, a better question is "why would anyone book Flex?" No one booking weeks out buys Flex YYZ HND unless they are an SE looking to upgrade or a low tier FF chasing a higher status. You buy Flex to sit in J. That is the sole purpose of the product and therefore it is not relevant to non SEs on international routes any more than non status members care about gold or club rooms at hotels. Flex should never be compared to fares where the pax intends to sit in the purchased cabin.

Although, according to the logic of some people on here, a person's moral character is determined primarily by refusing to ever fly the cheapest fare, so I suppose I should have offered to pay double for the croissant I just had to show I'm no cheapskate.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
But Flex is a fallacious comparison, a better question is "why would anyone book Flex?" No one booking weeks out buys Flex YYZ HND unless they are an SE looking to upgrade or a low tier FF chasing a higher status. You buy Flex to sit in J. That is the sole purpose of the product and therefore it is not relevant to non SEs on international routes any more than non status members care about gold or club rooms at hotels. Flex should never be compared to fares where the pax intends to sit in the purchased cabin.

Although, according to the logic of some people on here, a person's moral character is determined primarily by refusing to ever fly the cheapest fare, so I suppose I should have offered to pay double for the croissant I just had to show I'm no cheapskate.
The flight that I was looking at did not have Tango.

I'll be blunt and I don't want to be rude about this, but it truly is representative of my views on this. If I'm looking at a Tango fare, I would not fly where I need to get to. I really want to be respectful about this, but it really is how I feel. My policy is, fly J or don't. How I get to J is a different story, however recent circumstances have me looking at PY. Would I pull the trigger? I'm not 100% sure, but I was looking, that is for sure.

This is simply reflective of my travel policy, that's all.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:08 am

Forgetting for the fact that not every passenger has the ability to upgrade.

And I think $3150 for J in AC for a direct YYZ-Tokyo flight is a reasonable price. Saves the extras hours of flying into TPE and then further time on a connection and ongoing flight.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
.....so I suppose I should have offered to pay double for the croissant I just had to show I'm no cheapskate.
Did it have chocolate inside? If yes, definitely worth the extra $$

I imagine the head-scratching should anyone in a revenue management role at any company listen/read explanations as to why people purchase one version of a product that tastes and looks exactly like another, except for the difference in cost.

I'm pretty sure AC keeps Flex fares for a few reasons. Maybe they even have a small amount of data of who the pax are and whether they do so to get the chance to lotto up. Or some pax are employer-mandated to purchase only certain fare categories.

Humans make decisions based on some combination of logic and emotion. Not sure how Air Canada rates in that area.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by keitherson
I have not been wowed by any PE product, including AC. Even the best PE product cannot compare to the worst J product.
So you are saying that TK's, NZ (or even AC's) PE product is vastly inferior to LH European J where you get the same seat as Y but with the middle seat blocked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.