Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does AC Accept Matrix Generated Prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold

I have been helping a friend identify flights (100% AC metal) and prices using the Matrix software. The only problem is that AC has not accepted the flights and prices being quoted to them. Google indicates that AC should accept the Matrix software results as AC uses the same software? Are we doing something wrong or is this an ongoing issue?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by belky15
I have been helping a friend identify flights (100% AC metal) and prices using the Matrix software. The only problem is that AC has not accepted the flights and prices being quoted to them. Google indicates that AC should accept the Matrix software results as AC uses the same software? Are we doing something wrong or is this an ongoing issue?
Does the itinerary include connections? ITA Matrix often looks for inventory on a segment by segment basis, but AC now manages inventory on an origin-destination basis. So if you had a K fare going A-B-C, there may be K on A-B and K from B-C but when those flights are considered together, K is not available.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:30 pm

what do you mean by not accept? You can't get the same price online or you have called and won't give it to you?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582
Does the itinerary include connections? ITA Matrix often looks for inventory on a segment by segment basis, but AC now manages inventory on an origin-destination basis. So if you had a K fare going A-B-C, there may be K on A-B and K from B-C but when those flights are considered together, K is not available.
The flights are out of YHZ and then connect to the final flight into or out of Milan and Rome respectively. So there was one connection. All segments were in the same fare class.

Based on what you are saying, Matrix isn't useful for flights out of Halifax as they almost always include a connection.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
what do you mean by not accept? You can't get the same price online or you have called and won't give it to you?
We have done both. Based on FT discussion, I assume that the AC online isn't always complete or correct. Therefore, we called in and talked with agents. The agents couldn't find fares that matched the Matrix output.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:50 pm

Redacted

Last edited by monkai; Apr 28, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:15 pm
alc

Were you be able to get the same price with Google Flights?

Maybe if you are willing to share your date and route info, some FT members here can help.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
Were you be able to get the same price with Google Flights?

Maybe if you are willing to share your date and route info, some FT members here can help.
Google flights and Matrix were providing essentially the same information. And that output was not bookable through AC.

Oddly enough I went to Expedia and found the flights that worked at the best price and my friends have now booked.

So the practical issue is resolved but I still wonder about the usefulness of either Flights or Matrix if the output is not bookable. I am still interested in FT's input on this as I thought that they were fairly reliable tools.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
So the practical issue is resolved but I still wonder about the usefulness of either Flights or Matrix if the output is not bookable. I am still interested in FT's input on this as I thought that they were fairly reliable tools.
These tools like res. agents while reliable are not infallible.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:51 pm
alc

Google flights and Matrix were providing essentially the same information. And that output was not bookable through AC.

Oddly enough I went to Expedia and found the flights that worked at the best price and my friends have now booked.

Not sure what kind of routing you were trying, but if it show up as 3 stops, you will not get the "Book with Air Canada" link, here is example:

YHZ-YUL-YOW-YYZ-YXE

As 1 one-way YHZ to YXE:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...XE0AC1119;eo=e

As YHZ to YOW + YOW to YXE:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...XE0AC1119;eo=e
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
This has more to do with reservac failures with complicated routings than married segment logic. Many ofnthe fares that are published are not available online and/or agents don't even know they exist.

Op, When you call in just ask them to make sure their "connection arrows" are on. They will know what this means. This will usually work for under 4 segments. anything more will require a more
Manual approach to searching (the Agents should also know this term as well) That's all I can say for now.

But yes, if ita is displaying a fare and you are compliant with all the fare rules (especially advance purchase requirement and watch for sales/ticketing restrictions) then they should be able to replicate the fare.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you to all for sharing!! I personally have always found a way to "work around" issues and find a good fare but it didn't work this time (well actually it did as a good fare popped up after trying to use Matrix and Google Flight). But I now know how to get more out of the software.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.