Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
YVR doesn't seem to segregate passengers, and I was permitted to bypass security, on a US-YVR-Int'l itinerary. There was an airport employee checking BPs after the transfer immigration, who seemed to be responsible for directing people to security if needed. But it seems int'l passengers from elsewhere would have been in the same area, and then put through security after immigration.
That's not new. YYZ also does not require you to go through security for international (including US) to international connections.

The OSS initiative is supposed to allow international to domestic connections without having to go through security.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not new. YYZ also does not require you to go through security for international (including US) to international connections.

The OSS initiative is supposed to allow international to domestic connections without having to go through security.
If you have access to your checked luggage at any point during your connection process, you need to be re-screened. As far as I know, you can check your luggage through to Canadian final destinations from some foreign origins, but not all. Unless they can make it such that bags are checked all the way through, making pax go through another security screening is the only option.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
A written clarification from AC on OSS designation on boarding pass

See below (regarding Pearson airport) :

"OSS on a boarding pass is used when you arrive from the USA or international station, and are connecting to an international flight. When doing a connection of this nature, you must first see Canada customs officers and then a GTAA agent. Depending on if the boarding pass has OSS, the GTAA agent will direct you to a security check point, or to continue onwards to the gate area in international.

You will always go through security when connecting to a US or Canadian destination ..."
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

"OSS on a boarding pass is used when you arrive from the USA or international station, and are connecting to an international flight. When doing a connection of this nature, you must first see Canada customs officers and then a GTAA agent. Depending on if the boarding pass has OSS, the GTAA agent will direct you to a security check point, or to continue onwards to the gate area in international.

You will always go through security when connecting to a US or Canadian destination ..."
I wonder why I get OSS on a regular basis when connecting in YYZ to YOW (coming from US or International)?? I am clearly not connecting to an International flight. Nobody (I mean nobody) I have asked in the airport knows what it is for.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
I wonder why I get OSS on a regular basis when connecting in YYZ to YOW (coming from US or International)?? I am clearly not connecting to an International flight. Nobody (I mean nobody) I have asked in the airport knows what it is for.
Same here. Last few flights from Europe, LHR & FCO, I have asked about OSS and no one knew what it was.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mromalley
Same here. Last few flights from Europe, LHR & FCO, I have asked about OSS and no one knew what it was.
At this point it's just three extra letters on your BP with no speciaL additional meaning. Yet.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
At this point it's just three extra letters on your BP with no speciaL additional meaning. Yet.
Agreed. I knew what it was, thanks to FT. I wanted to see if anyone at YYZ knew what it was
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
If you have access to your checked luggage at any point during your connection process, you need to be re-screened. As far as I know, you can check your luggage through to Canadian final destinations from some foreign origins, but not all. Unless they can make it such that bags are checked all the way through, making pax go through another security screening is the only option.
It's more complicated than that. If you have access to ANYONE'S checked luggage (i.e. if you go through the baggage claim area), you need to be rescreened.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

There was no security for my US to international connections at YVR and YYZ long before OSS started showing up on my boarding pass.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There was no security for my US to international connections at YVR and YYZ long before OSS started showing up on my boarding pass.
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 14.53.52.png
Views: 1288
Size:  57.3 KB

Apparently to facilitate OSS at YYZ, everyone connecting except passengers from the US of A and Europe has to go through security when making international connections...

http://apps.torontopearson.com/toron...sp?fileid=2102
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:15 am

I checked in for a flight tomorrow and found OSS on my connecting flight within Canada.

I at first thought it was the dreaded SSSS but thanks to Google came across this thread.

So as I understand things OSS means NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, right now, but in the future means that I could avoid having to be screamed by CATSA as plain old TSA screened me already in the States, is that correct?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
I checked in for a flight tomorrow and found OSS on my connecting flight within Canada.

I at first thought it was the dreaded SSSS but thanks to Google came across this thread.

So as I understand things OSS means NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, right now, but in the future means that I could avoid having to be screamed by CATSA as plain old TSA screened me already in the States, is that correct?
Correct.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Attachment 16029

Apparently to facilitate OSS at YYZ, everyone connecting except passengers from the US of A and Europe has to go through security when making international connections...

http://apps.torontopearson.com/toron...sp?fileid=2102
That's interesting because for international arrivals at YYZ, everyone is mixed together on the upper floor on the walk to CBSA, regardless of origin. How will they know you haven't interacted with someone that arrived from a non-OSS compliant country during the walk to CBSA?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had OSS on my boarding pass at YUL earlier this week, while I was connecting from EWR en route to YOW. At the bottom of the escalator in front of customs I asked an airport "info" person if OSS was up and running. She said yes, absolutely, head to the left and see a customs agent. There are indeed dedicated customs desks set up for OSS, and in behind them I could see the magical door that leads out into the airside section of the airport without an intermediary security stop. Customs agent was quite chatty and told me that they're pretty much ready to go with implementing OSS but are waiting until the summer busy-mess is over so they can do a slow roll out to check for any bugs. So...no such luck for me. He said they would start this fall with certain AC routes and slowly expand it. Nice chat and interesting info...though at that point I was sorry I hadn't just gone to the nexus terminal to breeze through!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
ZRH-YYZ-YYC today. OSS on YYZ-YYC BP. Is OSS up and running yet or is it still just meaningless letters on the paper?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Still meaningless - What time are you in YYZ as i will be coming in from Dubai!

Edit - just saw your other post - you are ahead of me by 12 hours so i will miss you in YYZ & YYC

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Oct 26, 2016 at 4:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.